HBO Found its Tyrion?

By madkasel, in 6. AGoT Spoiler Space

Great news that they are casting - who the heck is Peter Dinklage though? AIIC seems to know just the basics about the books, which is ot be expected given that they are a movie preview site. This is still exciting news.

Stag Lord said:

who the heck is Peter Dinklage though?

The two most high profile, or at least mainstream, things I can think of:

1. He was the dwarf Trumpkin (the "DLF") in Prince Caspian; the one that found the kids and brought them to Caspian.

2. He was the "angry elf" children's author in the Will Farrell movie "Elf."

I think he'd actually be a good choice for Tyrion. He's got some serious range (the roles above notwithstanding...).

ktom said:

I think he'd actually be a good choice for Tyrion. He's got some serious range (the roles above notwithstanding...).

Agreed. I've seen him in a number of TV shows, and I think he'd be excellent as Tyrion.

One of the most notable things about his career (and one of the highest compliments to his acting) is that he's earned roles where the fact that he is a dwarf is frankly irrelevant.

Here's his IMDB page: www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

He starred in a movie called The Station Agent that I've been wanting to see. A lot of people say it's great, and that he is just awesome in it.

On a related but separate note, Little People, Big World is my favorite of the reality TV following a family shows. They're just damned good people and very interesting.

The first time I saw Peter Dinklage was in an episode of Threshold (terrible show). He was introduced while at a strip club, drinking alcohol and accompanied by two "ladies." Both my wife and I said "That's Tyrion!." I sure hope this is correct in casting, as I have wanted him to pay Trion since that day, and it would be perfect casting on HBO's part. This guy is a great actor, and is really underrated. I even watched more episodes of that terrible show just to watch his character.

Bugger that!

I liked Threshold for two reasons it had a strong smart female character whose looks were completely ignored by the writers and wardrobe, and Peter's acting. He is an amazing actor. Check out his character on Nip/Tuck. Fantastic.

Wow, he really does have the perfect look for the role. I haven't seen any of his performances but from what I've read it sounds like he's got some acting chops. I'm getting really excited about this now. I can almost picture the series running successfully for 3 or 4 seasons and then having to stop because Dance isn't finished yet!

lengua.gif

I've seen him only in 'Prince Caspian' (and the movie was dubbed, as usual over here) but from what you all say it sounds like a very promising choice. I'm getting more and more excited over the series... fingers crossed it gets picked by HBO.

Yeah, he'll be pretty perfect for the role.

The Station Agent is actually one of my very favorite movies of all time. Easily in my top 20. It got some really great one liners in it and Dinklage is really a phenomenal actor. There's no better place to see it than in that movie. Also, he's got a great voice for a Tyrion, as well.

I actually called this long before we knew there was going to be an HBO series. Hooray for me!

Wrecking Ball said:

I actually called this long before we knew there was going to be an HBO series. Hooray for me!

~Yeah because no one ever suggested Dinklage for the part before you did. Congrats!

I think he'd make a great Tyrion. Here's to hoping the series really happens.

~Thanks DM for saving me from sounding snitty because I'd wanted PD for Tyrion for the longest time too.

I am really glad Dinklage got the part. He's the shiznitz.

dormouse said:

Wrecking Ball said:

~Yeah because no one ever suggested Dinklage for the part before you did. Congrats!

Yeah, I've been driving the Dinkage=Tyrion Wagon for at least four years. Here's to us!

Well, Martin (and the Hollywood Reporter) have confirmed that Peter IS Tyrion! Woot!

Also, the director of The Station Agent (starring Peter Dinklage) will be directing the pilot. Which I think is pretty **** cool.