3 newbie questions ...

By rgalvan, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Sorry if they are old questions, but I can't find the answers ...

1) If an investigator gains an increment of his/her maximun sanity or stamina, does he/she gain one point to his current sanity or stamina ?

2) If due to an Arkham encounter the investigator is moved in another Arkham location with a clue taken, can he/she get immediately the token or must wait the next turn ?

3) if you fail a Combat check against a nightgaunt, you are drawn through the nearest open gate. I think that in this case you are delayed. Are you forced to make 2 encounters in 2 different turns in the first area of the other world ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

rgalvan said:

Sorry if they are old questions, but I can't find the answers ...

1) If an investigator gains an increment of his/her maximun sanity or stamina, does he/she gain one point to his current sanity or stamina ?

2) If due to an Arkham encounter the investigator is moved in another Arkham location with a clue taken, can he/she get immediately the token or must wait the next turn ?

3) if you fail a Combat check against a nightgaunt, you are drawn through the nearest open gate. I think that in this case you are delayed. Are you forced to make 2 encounters in 2 different turns in the first area of the other world ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Increasing your limits is not the same as gaining actual STA/SAN. The only exception I know of is gaining an Ally at the beginning of the game that gives you +1 max also gives you +1 STA/SAN.

2. No. Clues are picked up at the end of Phase 2 and if one apperas on you during Phase 5. If encounter moves you , it occurs during Phase 3 and the time to pick it up has passed.

3. You are drawn through but not delayed. Delay only happens when you are surprised by a new gate opening on your current location.

All of that is correct.

The big thing to remember with your third question, is that you *should* always be having 2 (and only 2 encounters, unless you skip a turn due to an Other Encounter) Other World Encounters. That's why you're delayed when drawn through a gate through a Mythos or Event Card, to prevent you from skipping an encounter ;)

Nakarashi said:

All of that is correct.

The big thing to remember with your third question, is that you *should* always be having 2 (and only 2 encounters, unless you skip a turn due to an Other Encounter) Other World Encounters. That's why you're delayed when drawn through a gate through a Mythos or Event Card, to prevent you from skipping an encounter ;)

2 should typically be standard. If the gate pops on you during the Arkham encoutner pahse, then you should typically have 3. However, there are so many encounters that delay you or send you back early, nothing is typical in teh Other World. And its especially isn't when you most need it to be!

hmm...guess I've been doing question #2 wrong this whole time but then again if there is a monster there you don't have to deal with it until next turn!

Historical Society Members are bird watching in the wood move there and don't get that clue!

Guess the same would happen returning from LiTaS?

Yup, unless you also choose to end your movement there. Since you return from LiTaS in upkeep phase.

ColtsFan76 said:

2. No. Clues are picked up at the end of Phase 2 and if one apperas on you during Phase 5. If encounter moves you , it occurs during Phase 3 and the time to pick it up has passed.

There's only one exception to this rule, if a clue token appears (during the Mythos pahse) in a location with one or more investigators, one of them (they
should decide among themselves) may immediately take that Clue token (AH rulebook p. 10).

Woodclaw said:

ColtsFan76 said:

There's only one exception to this rule, if a clue token appears (during the Mythos pahse) in a location with one or more investigators, one of them (they
should decide among themselves) may immediately take that Clue token (AH rulebook p. 10).

Um yeah. That is why I said "if one appears on you during Phase 5".... Phase 5 is the Mythos phase.

ColtsFan76 said:

Woodclaw said:

ColtsFan76 said:

Um yeah. That is why I said "if one appears on you during Phase 5".... Phase 5 is the Mythos phase.

As a house rule, I extended this rule to Clues appearing in Phase 1 due to Hypnos.

Sorry Cosltsfan, I missed that part of your statement. I was quite in hurry when I read it.