VARIANT OF PLAY: Lannister in 4/5 player.

By jhagen, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

For reasons discussed in another topic pertaining to the inequities between Lannister and Greyjoy:

Lannister is not used in 4 or 5 player games. Tyrell and then Tyrell and Martell are used instead (respectively)

IF you insist on using Lannister: (listed in order of most severe effect to board layout and army strengths)

1. Lannister starts with 2 footmen in Lannisport and 1 knight in Riverrun. (high)

2. Lannister starts with 2 footmen and 1 knight in Lannisport. (moderate)

3. Riverrun has the Martell 4 player (5 strength) garrison on it. (light)

For each of these variants, are you still putting a footman in Stoney Sept to start?

yes, the changes listed are just what is in addition or as an addendum to the normal setup

for instance a ship would still start in the golden sound

What would think or Variants 2 & 3 together; Lannisport starts w/ an extra footman and a 5-strength neutral token in Riverrun? I like the idea of a Rivverrun token because it not only buffers the two adjacent houses, but also adds another thematic connection to the books - as it would technically be a Stark/Tully holdout at the time of Robert's death

Nice ideas, in general, jhagen

try it out in your games if you like. there is an issue with having too many units to spread out to conquer too many regions too fast. maybe that will be the edge to make Lannister a more efficient combatant for Greyjoy.

I've been thinking about the too weak Lannister in a 5 players game and I realized that the problem wasn't that he couldn't defend himself against an agressive Greyjoy (because with some tricks he can easily push him out of his way) but this defense prevented him from expanding his territory in the first 2 turns.

I thought about another variant for the 5 player game :

-Lannister has one more footman on the top of the neutral force of king's landing wich is played as a garrison.

-The neutral force represents the golden cloaks serving the lannister at the beginning of the game.

-He can't put a power token on it.

-If he leaves, he has to conquer it back as if it was a normal power token.

-If he has success in cp*mustering and reaches a force of 5, the power token is removed.

The goal of all that is first, to make difficult for the baratheon to take king's landing.

-To put him in an emmergency to prevent lannister to muster.

-To allow the Lannisters to finally be the real power they represent in the books

It doesn't make Lannister too powerfull because :

-He's still lower than baratheon on the fiefdom

-If he wants to put a defense order, he can't muster and he allows baratheon to move all of his ships in order the take KL in turn 2

-If he wants to muster, he can be raided by the footman in king's wood.

-(maybe we could say that the Stannis card special effect works in this case ?)

-(We could also reduce the garrison/neutral force to 4 meanwhile it's occupied by the Lannisters)

I've never tried it yet, I can't say if it's not too powerfull or too heavy against the Baratheon (for a 4-5 players only) but I think that with real established houserules, it could work.

What do you think about it ?

PS : I'm not a native English-speaking, sorry for the orthography.

bump.

This post was no longer searchable after forum amalgamation with days of wonder.