Mono Hastur

By kamacausey, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

I have made it a mission of mine to build a mono deck for each faction. Problem is I am having a hard time building a decent mono hastur. It seems like they are better suited as a supporting faction. The faction has some really good cards(infernal obsession anyone?) but I'm starting to doubt they can hang on their own. Their characters just kinda seem mediocre overall. They got some good ones but there really isn't enough quantity. Nevertheless I still want to build mono hastur. Since making people go insane is hastur's thing thats what I'm trying to make the focus of the deck. Here is what I have so far:

3 demon lover

3 victoria glasser

3 giant albino penguin

3 dangerous inmate

3 crazed arsonist

3 old man of the woods

3 hastur(the one that takes away willpower and terror icons)

3 power drain

3 scotophobia

3 agorophobia

3 infernal obsession

3 the cavern of flame

2 victoria's loft

2 arkham asylum

anyone feel free to chime in here with any good ideas....

Hi,

You've got 40 cards while 50 is minimum. Add more cards.

Call of Cthulhu is character-centric game. IMO you've not enough characters in this deck. Add at least 6. I suggest Messenger from Beyond (weak character with very useful ability for "drive everything insane" deck), performance artist (early drop+counter-ability), Byakhee Servant (good combatant), Seeker of Misteries (I don't know whether you accept neutral characters in "pure" faction deck, but this guy is an early drop plus he helps you playing Hastur). Speaking of Hastur, If you like to play big characters maybe consider Bloated Leng Spider?

9 out of 21 characters you have are lunatics and you want them insane. Are you sure Victoria's Loft is a good idea?

If you like "mind games" deck, add a couple of control events, like Despair and Blind Submission. I find them very useful.

Du. Du Hast. Du Hastur. ;)

Pikciwok said:

Hi,

You've got 40 cards while 50 is minimum. Add more cards.

Call of Cthulhu is character-centric game. IMO you've not enough characters in this deck. Add at least 6. I suggest Messenger from Beyond (weak character with very useful ability for "drive everything insane" deck), performance artist (early drop+counter-ability), Byakhee Servant (good combatant), Seeker of Misteries (I don't know whether you accept neutral characters in "pure" faction deck, but this guy is an early drop plus he helps you playing Hastur). Speaking of Hastur, If you like to play big characters maybe consider Bloated Leng Spider?

9 out of 21 characters you have are lunatics and you want them insane. Are you sure Victoria's Loft is a good idea?

If you like "mind games" deck, add a couple of control events, like Despair and Blind Submission. I find them very useful.

Du. Du Hast. Du Hastur. ;)

Yea I realize there isn't 50 cards yet. That is why I posted my list to get some help. And yea I found the error of my ways with the victorias loft. I like messenger from beyond. I think I'll put him in the deck. Thanks.

3 demon lover

3 messenger from beyond

3 dangerous inmate

3 crazed arsonist

3 old man of the woods

3 byakhee servant

2 victoria glasser

3 power drain

3 scotophobia

3 infernal obsession

3 stygian eye

3 scalpel

2 arkham asylum

The list still isn't completed but now its heading down the path I want it to... Any other ideas are welcome.

I would add a thing from the stars it destroys insane characters, Hastur loves his insanity

kamacausey said:

3 demon lover
3 messenger from beyond
3 dangerous inmate
3 crazed arsonist
3 old man of the woods
3 byakhee servant
2 victoria glasser

3 power drain
3 scotophobia
3 infernal obsession
3 stygian eye
3 scalpel
2 arkham asylum

The list still isn't completed but now its heading down the path I want it to... Any other ideas are welcome.

Don't think demon lover does a thing for this deck.

Look at enhanted woods and/or the Ray's of Dawn to remove or ignore terror icons.

Apeirophobia, Guardian Pillar, Perfomance Artist, Long-Dead Prince, Blind Submission (if you want to keep demon lover) may also serve you well in addition to other suggestions.