Infamy Guidelines

By Gaius, in Black Crusade Game Masters

I've been running a black crusade game for a little while now and I am slightly put off by the rate of infamy gain characters can make. For example take an undertaking with four secondary objectives, this'll take a session or two to do but the PCs if they complete all secondary objectives will get eleven infamy, plus potentially more from dedicating the compact to a god, tertiary/personal objectives and performing acts of great importance. Now I've run four sessions though these have been long sessions equivelant to seven or eight sessions the group have completed broken chains, the temple of lies adventures and one operation. Granted the operation was not a walk over and two PCs did die however two of the players have infamy in the seventies and I wonder as they get ready to invade the Koronus Expanse to set up a head quarters will they be almost ready to start leading a Black Crusade this early in the game? It seems a bit early and easy to me, I'm just glad I set the Daemon Princedom infamy threshold to one hundred as any of the lower ones would have been far too easy.

Now I know one bad fight could send those PCs infamy hurtling downwards but the guideline amounts I've been using seem perhaps overly generous. I did say to my PCs once they hit certain thresholds their infamy would attract the attentions of others outside the screaming vortex with assasins, Inquisitors and all other sorts of nasties set to come looking for PCs.

The bonuses not from compacts are limited to 5 per session per player. The rest, however, I find somewhat reasonable. Players should have a shot towards the big leagues, even if they are psykers who accumulate Corruption at an ungodly rate. Also, the reason they get a lot is to act both as a safety net towards character death and because, well, they are racing against their corruption.

Even if they hit that threshold, they have to stay above it until they gain 100 corruption!

Remember too that the base BC rules assume short campaigns. For extended campaigns - where both Infamy and Corruption gain need to be more controlled - see the GM's kit for some optional rules that might be of some use.