Does Focus power count as skill tests? Or, Predict your prediction with predictive powers!

By player1509572, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

This is not a failure of the rules mechanic. This is just a really weird exploit. It's not even very good, just funny (to me).

Glimpse allows you to boost your next skill test. Most divination powers, apart from Precog Dodge, are psyscience based. This possibly means your ability to see the future can be used to boost attempts to see the future.

Now, the big stumbling block on this is whether or not a Focus Power test still counts as a skill test. However, I've yet to find any part that clears up whether bonuses to a skill (apart from it's rating itself) would apply to tests utilizing it indirectly, as it were. So do they? Makes a certain amount of sense, really.

'Course, glimpsing preternatural awareness is still just a really silly exploit, but that's clearly just some rather odd crossover, not really a game mechanical failure.

OH, and as a sorta side, does anybody know if there's a section that clearly defines whether or not Characteristic damage bypasses a character's toughness bonus?

I would say yes to this. Seeming as though your are actually rolling on the skill. If you have +10/+20/+30 in it, you would still benefit from the bonuses and if you have Unnatural Perception (X), you would still benefit from the extra DoS. As a counter, if they ever for any reason lost the ability to use SunnyScience then they'd be at a -20 penalty.

In essence, you are using a skill to focus your psychic powers.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

It does seem ambiguous. If the Focus Power Test is based off Psyniscience and you do not have Psyniscience, would you roll at half your Perception? Would that infact turn it into a Focus Power Test that is based off Perception? If you have +20 Psyniscience, would you roll at +20 for the Focus Power Test? If so, how is that any different to a Skill Test? The same is true with Unnatural Perception (X); are you saying you wouldn't get the bonus DoS for passing the roll?

I've just re-read Glimpse and as a GM, I would rule that in the way it is worded it couldn't be used for Preternatual Awareness or any other Focus Power Test utilising a Skill. However, in all fairness, it would actually be better to have Favoured by The Warp, take some D-Dust, prepare a crap load of Sacrifices, Psyphon a few mooks and alternate between Boon of Tzeentch and Protean Form (using Sacrifice to bleed damage every other round) for Unnatural Characteristics (All) (∞), Psy Rating (∞), Amphibious, Amorphous, Burrower (∞), Flyer (∞), Deadly Natural Weapons, Multiple Arms (∞), Natural Armour (∞), Sonar Sense, Sturdy and Unnatural Senses (∞) while being immune to the Psychic Phenomenon and never being able to Peril.

Using Blade of Baleful Might, he can give his weapon Flame, Power Field, Razor Sharp, Tainted, Tearing, Crippling (∞), Felling (∞), Proven (10), Shocking, Toxic (∞), Warp Weapon. Fate Loom would perminently give him ∞ Infamy Points and Warp-Flame Ward would do 1d10 + ∞ Energy Damage, Pen 5, Flame, Felling (2) in an ∞ radius from the Psyker, turning the majority of the universe into Chaos Spawn and just killing the rest.

Level Up!

Edited by Brother Orpheo

You spent so long being condescending that you didn't actually answer my initial question.

How would you rule it Psyker didn't have the S-K-I-L-L Psyniscience? There's no rules I can see in the book that show what to do in this situation. Also, having Psyniscience +20 is useless for the Diviner because it wouldn't increase the F-O-C-U-S P-O-W-E-R T-E-S-T. Unless these are just unwritten global house rules and everyone tends to disregard the RAW at that point.

Edited by Apache

Well, technically, yes that would be possible. No GM in their right mind would allow such blatant abuse, though, and any player abusing it should rethink their character.

Edited by BrotharTearer