Homebrewed God

By mi-go hunter, in Chaos in the Old World

I have always thought that the Lovecraftian god, Cthulhu, might make an interesting addition among the Chaos powers. I know it might seem shocking and unbalancing to make an entirely new god, but hopefully I can make Cthulhu balanced and interesting to play.

Rules for Cthulhu:

The Horned Rat CANNOT be in play. The setup if Cthulhu is in play should be: 3 Warpstones, 2 Nobles,.2 Peasants, 2 Flooding.

Flood Markers function exactly like Hero tokens. There are 6 in all.

Cthulhu

The One who Lays Dreaming

Draw Phase: Draw two Chaos cards.

Dial Advancement Condition: Place a counter on your dial each time you place two or more corruption tokens in a region with no enemy figures.

Special: Your figures cannot be removed from the board by Flooding tokens.

Starting PP: 6

Cthulhu has 1 Greater Daemon, 3 Warriors, and 7 Cultists.

Fishermen Cultist Attack: 0 Defense: 1 Cost: 1

Deep Ones Warrior Attack: 2 Defense: 2 Cost: 2

Star Spawn Greater Daemon Attack: 3 Defense: 4 Cost: 3

Upgrades:

Cultist Upgrade: At the end of the Summoning Phase, remove any number of Fishermen from one region to kill twice the number of enemy figures in that same region.

Warrior Upgrade: When a region is ruined, gain 3 VP for each Deep One in that region.

Greater Daemon Upgrade: Star Spawn gains +3 Attack

Plans in Motion Cthulhu Upgrade : The cost for your opponents to summon figures into regions with Flooding tokens is increased by 1.

Ascension to Rl'yeh Cthulhu Upgrade: You may treat regions with Flooding tokens as adjacent regions. You may move a Flooding token from one region to an adjacent region every time you collect a Dial Advancement Counter.

That's all I have so far! I will design a deck of Chaos cards and a Dial for Cthulhu soon. In the meantime, feedback is appreciated!

Cthulhu goes last in the standard power order. A more fitting change to Ascension to Rl'yeh:

Cultist Upgrade: At the end of the Summoning Phase, remove any number of Fishermen from one region to kill twice the number of enemy figures in that same region.

Warrior Upgrade: When a region is ruined, gain 3 VP for each Deep One in that region.

Greater Daemon Upgrade: Star Spawn gains +3 Attack

Plans in Motion Cthulhu Upgrade: The cost for your opponents to summon figures into regions with Flooding tokens is increased by 1.

Ascension to Rl'yeh Cthulhu Upgrade: At the end of the Summoning Phase, remove all chaos cards from one region with a Flooding token.

Cthulhu's deck of chaos cards can be found here:

http://handtracker.heroku.com/templates/122

Again, comments and suggestions are appreciated!

EDIT: The link does not work, so I will be posting all the cards here shortly

Here are Cthulhu's chaos cards:

Unnerving Presence - 2 Move three of your opponents' figures from this region to an adjacent region. (x3)

The Abyss - 1 Each Flooding token in this region counts as two. (x3)

The Deep - 1 (M) Flooding tokens in this region remove figures from the board at the end of the battle phase. (x3)

Unleash the Sea - 0 When you play this card, you may place a Flooding token from the stockpile in this region, or move a Flooding token from any region to this region. (x4)

Wrath of the Sea - 1 The attack of your figures in this region is increased by one for each flooding token in this region. (x3)

Strength of the Sea - 1 The defense of your figures in this region is increased by one for each Flooding token in this region. (x3)

R'lyeh Rising - 3 (M) Your opponents cannot summon figures to this region. (x2)

Blessing - 0 (M) You may replace one cultist in this region with one warrior. (x3)

Again, feedback is appreciated! I hope I'm not making Cthulhu under or over-powered.

Finally, here is Cthulhu's dial:

Cthulhu Start

Place 1 Flooding token

Upgrade Card

Remove 1 Cultist or Warrior

Upgrade Card

Place 2 Flooding tokens

Upgrade Card

Score 7 VP

Cthulhu Victory!

Cthulhu's threat should be the same as the Horned Rat's. Ascensions to Rl'yeh upgrade should be changed to say "At the end of the Summoning Phase, you may remove all chaos cards from one region with a Flooding token.

::Sighs:: Really? No response to this post whatsoever? I take it that the long period of silence as an indication that this god is poorly designed.

Posts with content of this type is really better suited for BoardGameGeek. I'm sure more people would be interested over there.

In any case, looks like you've put a lot of thought into this! Good job.

Thanks! I'm surprised I finally got a response happy.gif

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider creating an account in BoardGameGeek, and post this idea up.

In case anyone is interested, here is Cthulhu revised:

Rules for Cthulhu:

The Horned Rat CANNOT be in play. The setup if Cthulhu is in play should be: 3 Warpstones, 2 Nobles,.2 Peasants, 2 Flooding.

Flood Markers function exactly like Hero tokens. There are 6 in all.

Cthulhu

The One who Lays Dreaming

Draw Phase: Draw two Chaos cards.

Dial Advancement Condition: Place a counter on your dial each time you place two or more corruption tokens in a region with no enemy figures.

Special: Your figures cannot be removed from the board by Flooding tokens.

Starting PP: 6

Cthulhu has 1 Greater Daemon, 3 Warriors, and 7 Cultists.

Fishermen Cultist Attack: 0 Defense: 1 Cost: 1

Deep One Warriors - Attack: 2, Defense: 1 Cost: 2

Star Spawn Greater Demon - Attack: 3, Defense: 3 Cost: 3

Cultist Upgrade: During the battle phase, your opponents must assign hits to your Greater Demon and Warriors first.

Warrior Upgrade: When a region is ruined, gain 4 VP if you have at least one warrior in that region.

Greater Demon Upgrade: Star Spawn gain +2 Attack

Plans in Motion Upgrade: Instead of playing a Chaos card or summoning a figure during the Summoning Phase, you may spend 1 PP to remove an enemy cultist from a region with a Flooding token.

Ascension to Rl'yeh: The cost for your opponents to play Chaos cards in regions with Flooding tokens is increased by 1.

Here are Cthulhu's chaos cards:

Unnerving Presence - 2 Move three of your opponents' figures from this region to an adjacent region. (x3)

The Abyss - 0 This card covers up both card slots in this region, if the other is empty. (x3)

The Deep - 1 (M) Flooding tokens in this region remove figures from the board at the end of the battle phase. (x3)

Unleash the Sea - 0 When you play this card, you may place a Flooding token from the stockpile in this region, or move a Flooding token from any region to this region. (x4)

Wrath of the Sea - 1 The attack of your figures in this region is increased by one for each flooding token in this region. (x3)

Strength of the Sea - 1 The defense of your figures in this region is increased by one for each Flooding token in this region. (x3)

R'lyeh Rising - 3 (M) Your opponents cannot summon figures to this region. (x2)

Blessing - 0 (M) You may replace one cultist in this region with one warrior. (x3)

Finally, here is Cthulhu's dial:

Cthulhu Start

Remove 1 Cultist or Warrior

Upgrade Card

Place 1 Flooding token

Upgrade Card

Remove 2 Cultists and/or Warriors

Upgrade Card

Score 5 VP

Cthulhu Victory!

Cthulhu's threat should be the same as the Horned Rat.

The idea is good, and u did a lot of work! But don't forget games are also made of "backgrounds", and in this case, what the hell Chtulu has to do in the old world? Try to read the stories of Warhammer, maybe you can create a "homebrew" god of warhammer =) Well don, anyway, u did a lot of work!!=)

Cthulhu seems overpowered to me.

+3 atack to the grater demon????
scores 7 VP ???
Remove all figures in one region???????

Too much my friend!

Mozal said:

Cthulhu seems overpowered to me.

+3 atack to the grater demon????
scores 7 VP ???
Remove all figures in one region???????

Too much my friend!

Updated Cthulhu here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/775949/custom-god