Need to fix event card selection

By JosephCurwen, in Arkham Horror Toolkit

I just picked up the iphone/ipad app with the Dunwich, Innsmouth, and Miskatonic expansions, and one thing I noticed after going through the location cards is that they very often repeat several times in a row, and in this app I have very rarely seen all of the different cards appear for a single location that can be found in the physical game and expansions cards. This really needs to be fixed, and I think what should be done is to have all of the cards for each location appear in a stack without repeating or shuffling, and if the players go through the stack and they start to repeat, then a shuffle button should be available to randomize the order.

This card selection feature, is to me the most important part of this app, and because of how often these cards repeat it is effectively broken. I hope there will be an update soon to fix this so I can actually use my ipad in a game to replace the 30+ decks of cards I use for event locations in order to keep the decks separated.

I'm not even sure if all the cards are included in this app! Could someone verify this?? They repeat themselves so often you don't ever see some of the cards.

The last time I checked, there were no Miskatonic cards in the toolkit for the following locations:

Bishop's Brook Bridge
Cult Encounters
Darke's Carnival
Devil's Hopyard
Gardner's Place
Harney Jones' Shack
Wizard's Hill
Y'ha-nthlei

The Miskatonic plug-in for the toolkit is a flat out rip off. I emailed FFG several times about this issue, but I never received a response of any sort. I've been waiting in vain for several months now for an update that will address the problem. To be honest, you're the first person I met who cares. If you have a problem with the toolkit, I strongly encourage you to call or email FFG and let them know how you feel. It's unfortunate that they put an unfinished product on the market, and that they won't put in the 8-10 manhours that it would take to fix it.

Regarding the issue of repeating cards, I used to think that was a problem until I actually analyzed the results. I made a series of 50 draws in a row. For each set of 50 draws, I kept track of the number of duplicates that were drawn. I found that the number of duplicates was well under what you'd expect from random chance. It could be that a random distribution sometimes looks like it has a pattern that isn't really there. Of course, your findings may be different.

Oh, another problem with the toolkit is that many encounters are missing entire lines of text. These encounters will read like: "you must use your wits to... if you fail, lose 1 Sanity." I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be a skill check in there.

In general, I find the toolkit to be useful, but I don't use it for Y'ha-nthlei, Cult Encounters, or Dunwich locations.

Reposted from Arkham Horror Forums:

just got this response from customer service, so hopefully they will patch in a good fix sometime soon:

Hello Sean,

Thanks so much for contacting us! We are aware that the Arkham Horror Toolkit (and specifically the Miskatonic Horror expansion), have some issues, which to date have been unresolved. We hope to address these issues soon. Please stay tuned to our website for further updates.

Happy gaming!

FFG software support

I had a similar experience with you guys... im re-posting my review in the app store..

"Just downloaded the app along with dunwich horror expansion and I have to agree with some the reviews on the apps store that the location decks are very randomized... To the point that I picked out the same encounter at the administration building 5 times! (with the dunwich expansion included) I hope that FFG makes an update regarding this issue, other than that it does its job well, especially the gate cards."

I just got my iPhone, excitedly found this app, and then bought all the expansions. My friends and I meet for Arkham weekly now. The grand unveiling of this glorious app was tonight. This is extremely disappointing.

I don''t even get R''lyeh encounters. At all. Tapping R''lyeh, I get Other. Again and again.