Terrans

By Chaos985, in StarCraft

Is the Terran faction a little weaker?

In each game that we played the terrans always seemed to be on the losing side.

Any experiences?

I haven't seen a huge difference in relative strenght between the races. My first suggestion is to check out the tech trees and to take enemy units and developments so far in account when choosing which buildings, units and techs to build.

The only thing that is truly different are the victory conditions of the seperate races, and the random planet selecion has a huge influence on the special victory winning chances in a 2 or 3 player game (there should be enough (different) planets in a 4+ player game). Can this be your problem?

bthermans said:

I haven't seen a huge difference in relative strenght between the races. My first suggestion is to check out the tech trees and to take enemy units and developments so far in account when choosing which buildings, units and techs to build.

The only thing that is truly different are the victory conditions of the seperate races, and the random planet selecion has a huge influence on the special victory winning chances in a 2 or 3 player game (there should be enough (different) planets in a 4+ player game). Can this be your problem?

I agree: knowledge of the techtree is essentiel for winning or loosing a SC-game. A good friend of mine plays the terran faction all the time and he wins regulary. In my opinion you should first read through all your tech- and combatcards to avoid random upgrade for your troops. Specialize on 2 - 4 units, which support each other in combat and use them for penetrating the defenses of your enemy. Meanwhile you should protect your own bases with the rest of your troops.

Our games were very balanced. But I played 1vs1 all the time.

It's all about how you [lay them. the factions in this game are extremely balanced, so if your bad with someone your gonna lose. I always play terran and win mostly, just cause thats my race. Try checking their tech tree so you can actually see what you can get and when, which affects strategy,

I get what you're saying, it's all about the experience with the race. But here is something that's bugging me: the Firebat. Is he even useful? It seems that everything he can do, the marine can too. And the marine is cheaper and can fire in the air. So why take the Firebat? He is on the way to getting the Ghost, i know that, but any other advantage that I am overlooking?

And what tehnologies do you think are best for the Terrans? Which do you use?

I haven't played much with them but I would like to try them out seriously, so any advice is welcome.

Chaos85 said:

I get what you're saying, it's all about the experience with the race. But here is something that's bugging me: the Firebat. Is he even useful? It seems that everything he can do, the marine can too. And the marine is cheaper and can fire in the air. So why take the Firebat? He is on the way to getting the Ghost, i know that, but any other advantage that I am overlooking?

I haven't played much with them but I would like to try them out seriously, so any advice is welcome.

you are in luck my friend, i'll help :D . Okay, always get bunkers and stimpacks, this lets you chaep marines take on bigger enemies, and win in a resource battle to. Try to get all different units, cause terran can do anything and you should inforce that. my armies have marines, FIREBATS, goliaths, ghosts, and tanks. this will get you a lot of cards, and won't take to much tech. Oh, and i'm gonna post my firebats strategy here ok? check that out, it'll make firebats worth every penny..er..mineral :P

The first thing that comes to mind is the ground splash card they share with the vulture, and I think they have an avarage +1/+1 though I am not sure.

I think it's +1/+0.

And what about the ghost? Is the nuke tehnology useful? Do you use it in your games?

The trouble with it is that the ghost has to be in the first battle line and survive to use it right? So can you use it without the cloak?

In one of our last games we played TvP. It was elimination game so no conquest points or svc.. I was wondering about nuke and wanted to try it becasue when u think about it it kills 2 units. But when u have splash damage u kill 2 units too (just need sufficient strenght)... and nuke is very expensive and for 1 use.. however I won thanks to ghosts. Imo lockdown is very useful vs protoss (nuke + lockdown better than +cloaking). It can target all protoss units with attack except zealots and archons (and they r not worth ´cause of emp). From that moment for me ghosts vs protoss are must-have.

During our games Terrans won only once. We didn't played terrans much. In my opinion the races are well balanced, but terrans seems to be a little worse than zergs in earlier game and protoss in late game. I think that terrans are most powerful in mid game thanks to the siege tanks, goliaths.

Chaos85 said:

You should get the Brood War expansion because it differentiates between the marine and firebat. Now only the Firebat has splash damage when in the front line.
:)

Somewhere here in the forums there is an excellent discussion about the usefulness of the firebats which should be a big help to you.

They are the Terran units that are inaffected by Dark Swarm...