Rules Question regarding Oksanas Voivodes

By NichtTim, in Tannhauser

Hi all,

I've just completed my Tannhäuser collection by receiving my Oksana Character Pack. After some advice from the experienced players here i've been really getting into the game. Thanks again for your advice, guys.

Well, my question:

After reading the rules for Oksana i'm not sure wether only the Voivodes give each other bonus die oder if Oksana also profits from this and can attack with more die when around the Voivodes? From reading the forum i gathered that i can use four Voivodes as i could with Zorka. Are the other two identical to those in Oksanas Pack? Would they give each other three bonus die when placed correctly?

Thanks in advance

NichtTim said:

Hi all,

I've just completed my Tannhäuser collection by receiving my Oksana Character Pack. After some advice from the experienced players here i've been really getting into the game. Thanks again for your advice, guys.

Well, my question:

After reading the rules for Oksana i'm not sure wether only the Voivodes give each other bonus die oder if Oksana also profits from this and can attack with more die when around the Voivodes? From reading the forum i gathered that i can use four Voivodes as i could with Zorka. Are the other two identical to those in Oksanas Pack? Would they give each other three bonus die when placed correctly?

I would say:

- Oksana does not gain extra die. Reason: page 4 of Oksanas booklet regarding the Smiljan B coils says that "all of Oksana´s voivods have the following equipment..." That means that the Coil is an item carried by voivods (as can be seen on their character sheets). As Oksana clearly does not carry this item herself (neither as a token, nor printed on her sheet) there is no reason for her gaining the dice.

- all of Oksana´s voivods (four if no other trooper is included) are identical to the voivods in her pack. Same characteristics, same B-coils, same ability to be equipped with Oksana´s special voivod tokens.

- There would be 3 additional dice as you stated above, as every voivod adds 1 dice, and the voivod attacking is not able to give one dice to itself.

Other opinions?

I agree with katsuyori. Also remind that you can still equip voivodes with the original voivode equipment.

I play with oksana 90% time i play matriarchy, her ability to activate voivodes again is just too good in most game modes.

Zorka is good, but not as good as having two guys moving 20 circles and doing 2 actions in a turn in a CTF or Domination game... Also seeing them repais each other is just too good. Zorka is hard to kill but also voivodes with her are way less useful...

This might change when the matriarchy trooper pack arrives. I am foreseeing teams with zorka and no voivodes, these may be hard to beat as well.

Katsuyori and Moebius are right on everything! Just be sure to give Oksana the Voivode repair token and keep her well away from the fight. She only has to reactivate Voivodes that attack, repair each other, try objectives or whatever the game mode calls for. Great team! I just play a small tournament where every faction plays against every other in Objective mode, and a team including Oksana and her Voivodes just wins every time.

Plan B: Give the repair token to a voivode couple and give oksana the -2 to combat token (strob lamp). Even if we assume that this effect is not cumulative in case there are 2 voivodes present in a path (not clarified yet by FFG) it does wonders to voivode durability. And if you use Irina with bonus pack you have only 1 character in your team that can be potentially affected by the -2 effect while the other team struggles.

In terms of numbers it lowers by 20% the probability of sucesses in the powerful attack rolls, driving the more usual attack rolls to 3 sucesses instead of 4 on average. To a voivode that makes the difference, its way easier for them to survive.

Moebius said:

Plan B: Give the repair token to a voivode couple and give oksana the -2 to combat token (strob lamp). Even if we assume that this effect is not cumulative in case there are 2 voivodes present in a path (not clarified yet by FFG) it does wonders to voivode durability. And if you use Irina with bonus pack you have only 1 character in your team that can be potentially affected by the -2 effect while the other team struggles.

As far as I remember the repair token is included just once in the Oksana pack. I assumned that it thus can only be used by one voivod at a time, not by a pair. Also, voivods are equipped individually, not in pairs, aren´t they? You can prove me wrong, though. Any ideas on that issue?

You are right. I forgot that equipping pairs of voivodes with a single token is a house rule. I will explain it anyway in case you want to use it.

Technically on the rules section about owning more than one copy of tannhauser its specified that heroes cannot be included twice into a team but troops can.

Voivodes are troops so If you owned more than one copy of Oksana in order to use 2 pair of supervoivodes with oksana (as she only includes 1 pair) you would have two of each token and it would be legal to use them.

I dont own 2 Oksanas but to simplify this situation (and avoid spending extra) we ruled that voivodes could be equipped in pairs (1 token may equip 2 voivodes of the same pair) no rules breaking here as it would be legal if we had 2 Oksanas.

Its stretching the rules but the case was so well presented... that it went through :-p

Since you can only equip the repair token on one character if you aren't using house rules, I think it's quite risky to give it to a Voivode. Your opponent will try to kill off that Voivode as soon as possible, and once it's gone, your repair option is probably gone forever. If Oksana has the token, all your Voivodes can repair each other ad infinitum (or until your oponent concedes). The Strobo lamp on the other hand will have its cool effect even if you just put it on one Voivode and move it into the thickest fight to maximize the effect. And if that Voivode is killed, you just use another one to repair it.