Possible Scenario Suggestions

By meatwad819, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

If it sounds interesting to anyone, I was thinking about possibly implementing scenarios to play sometime, rather then having deliberately the same game every time. I don't know if it sounds interesting to anyone else, and haven't gotten the chance to play it or test it at all, but I'll post the original ideas for people who may be interested.

Aside from the permanent alliance teams, all other houses are allowed to change teams at anytime. Hopefully, this will allow for a somewhat balanced game. However, I can not be certain without the opportunity to test! (Which doesn't come often enough sadly.) If anyone has comments or criticisms please let me know.

King of the Iron Islands

Set Alliances: Stark and Baratheon vs. Greyjoy

Objectives for Greyjoy: Survive 10 turns to show your dominance to the realm.

Objectives for Stark/Baratheon: Take the Pyke before the end of turn 10.

Setup:
Greyjoy will have alot added for this scenario. Greyjoy will start with a knight in Greywater Watch, Seagard, Riverrun, Lannisport, and Flint's Finger. They also have two ships in Ironman's bay, The Golden Sound, and the Sunset Sea. A final two footman are sitting on Pyke, waiting to reinforce their territory.

They will also start at 3 on the supply track.

Lannister will be moved as the Greyjoys initial strike has pushed them out of Lannisport, forcing them to have a knight in Harrenhal and a footman in Blackwater. However, Baratheon did not provide additional forces when they were first sent for, making relations between them somewhat uneasy as well.

All other factions will start out as normal.

Robert's Rebellion

Special Rules: Other teams ships may be used for ship transport in this scenario.

Set Alliances: Stark and Baratheon vs. Targaryen, Martell, and Tyrell.

Greyjoy will be sitting out this scenario, and will instead be replaced by Targaryen forces.

Lannister will start in the normal position, however, must quickly decide which side of the conflict to support.

Targaryen forces will control much of Baratheon's 'usual' territory. They will post two knights in Dragonstone and two in King's Landing. They will also have a ship at Blackwater Bay and Shipbreaker Bay.

They will be first on the Iron Throne Track, everyone else being moved down one on the track. They will be placed last on the Fiefdom's track, and will be third on the King's Court track.

They will start at 2 on the supply track.

Finally, their cards are listed below.

Rhaegar Targaryen 4
You may be supported by another space that does not have a support token on it, provided the House will allow it.

Arthur Dayne 3
If attacking Arthur Dayne has two sword tokens, if defending two fortification icons.

Randyll Tarly 2
One sword icon.

Barristan Selmy 2
One sword icon, one fortification icon.

Jon Connington 1
Two fortification icons.

Aerys Targaryen 1
If you win you may kill one of your opponents units, regardless of any fortification icons.

Lyanna Stark 0
You may win any battle in which Eddard Stark or Robert Baratheon is played.

I still need to see how balanced this team would be...just looking at it makes it seem unbalanced to me. But I don't know without testing.

Baratheon will start with a single knight in Storm's End, and the Stannis Baratheon card will be permanently set there. Unless freed, the card is unavailable, but is consistently used when attacked. The card may not be used if the unit is marched.

There will be a knight and footman placed on the Eyrie with a second footman placed on the 'Mountain of the Moons.' There will also be a ship in 'The Narrow Sea.'

Baratheon will also have another card for this scenario. They have the 'Robert Baratheon' card for this scenario. He has a 4 strength with the same ability as 'Stannis Baratheon.' That card may be substituted in the hand for simplicity's sake.

Stark will set up as per normal, but will have a second knight placed on Riverrun.

All other houses will start as per normal.

interesting ideas. I like the idea about set scenarios as this gives a bit of flavour to the game. I'll give one of these a try, probably the greyjoy one, tomorrow at my groups gaming session and let you know how they go down.

Just make sure to keep in mind that none of this has had any testing as of yet, and as such, Greyjoy may be way too powerful, or extremely underpowered. Hopefully it offers the right amount of intrigue and balance that is needed. I'm not sure how many people you would have playing, but I was thinking that win conditions for the other three houses should be with whatever side they align with, as there are no real win conditions for them at the moment aside from 'Get 7 castles.'

Yeah i'll test out the Greyjoys set up as you have described and see how they fair like that, I feel they may need a little adjustment but we'll see. I think you are right in that the other three house win conditions should be who ever they are aligned with. The only true problem I see is if all the remaining houses decide to gang up on the greyjoys then it would be an easy victory for everyone else, prehaps there should be certain rules for 5 & 6 player game where one of the other house aligns them selfs with the greyjoys from the start or the are different victory conditions for if this happens, but i'll see how it goes.

As for the numbers of people playing there will probably be the full 6 players as I'll be taking this to my Tabletop gaming society and this board game is pretty popluar among the attendants.

I'll see if everyone is willing to test this out and report back how it goes and any problems / corrections me and my group discover.

Hmm, Leajon, did you ever get the chance to test it out? If not, hopefully I get the chance to sometime soon.

no I still haven't had a chance to test them out hopefully I will today though, we had some new people play last week so I had to play by normal rules to teach them how to play.

Makes sense. What I really need for the scenarios is a 'win' condition for Martell, Tyrell, and Lannister. I could just add them as teams, but the intrigue of the game makes alot of sense for that not to be. Hopefully, I can come up with some idea.