New player seeking some answers

By Zornavaneltareth2, in Middle-earth Quest

Hey guys, I just purchased MEQ and have played a few games solo to try and get a feel for the rules and the flow of the game. After searching through the forums for advice to any questions that have arisen, I have a few questions that I haven't seen addressed (tho I may have missed them).

During Sauron's turn on the plot phase:

1. When a plot card is played, is the affected token advanced upon card play or upon the next turn?

2. When 3 plots are in play and you wish to discard a current plot to play a new one, is the new plot played the same time as discarding the old or must Sauron wait a turn to play the new plot?

My other question is based upon a quest. Eometh's Advanced quest has him exploring Dol Guldur. The Mouth of Sauron was waiting there and combat ensued. Both became exhausted and combat ended as did Eometh's turn. This end of combat and turn did not allow Eometh to explore Dol Guldur as his Quest requires. Here are the issues:

A. On Sauron's turn is combat required if the Mouth of Sauron does not move?

B. On Eometh's next turn if the Mouth of Sauron did not move, the Ambush step (I assume) becomes required?

C. Since Dol Guldur is perilous can Sauron choose a Peril card instead of combat with the Mouth of Sauron?

D. Even tho Eometh did not technically "explore" Dol Guldur, since he stepped within the space, does that count as exploring?

E. Should a second combat end in another stalemate, is there a way for Eometh to declare himself defeated so that he can be sent to a Haven and rest?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Zornavaneltareth said:

During Sauron's turn on the plot phase:

1. When a plot card is played, is the affected token advanced upon card play or upon the next turn?

2. When 3 plots are in play and you wish to discard a current plot to play a new one, is the new plot played the same time as discarding the old or must Sauron wait a turn to play the new plot?

#1: Like in Arkham Horror, MEQ is a game where "follow the phases/steps" rule of thumb works well. Advancing tokens comes first (Story Step), then the playing of a new Plot, so it will only move the token for that Plot next turn, assuming the heroes haven't removed from play before that.

#2: "During this step, Sauron may perform one of the following
activities." (p. 13)

Options being 1) Play a Plot, 2) Discard a Plot, 3) Do Nothing. In order to play a Plot you need an empty slot, so you can't discard and play a new Plot in one turn. However, there is an option with a Shadow card, Ithil-Stone. You have 3 Plots in play, use your Plot Step to discard one, then in your Action Step (when Ithil-Stone is used), you can fish out either Denethor or Saruman Plot card and put it into play.

Zornavaneltareth said:

My other question is based upon a quest. Eometh's Advanced quest has him exploring Dol Guldur. The Mouth of Sauron was waiting there and combat ensued. Both became exhausted and combat ended as did Eometh's turn. This end of combat and turn did not allow Eometh to explore Dol Guldur as his Quest requires. Here are the issues:

A. On Sauron's turn is combat required if the Mouth of Sauron does not move?

B. On Eometh's next turn if the Mouth of Sauron did not move, the Ambush step (I assume) becomes required?

C. Since Dol Guldur is perilous can Sauron choose a Peril card instead of combat with the Mouth of Sauron?

D. Even tho Eometh did not technically "explore" Dol Guldur, since he stepped within the space, does that count as exploring?

E. Should a second combat end in another stalemate, is there a way for Eometh to declare himself defeated so that he can be sent to a Haven and rest?

A: There is no combat on Sauron's turn, ever I think.

B: Yes.

C: Only on the turn Eometh moves into DG, on the second turn (in your example), can't choose Peril or Ambush, it's Ambush.

D: No, you have to do the Explore action during the hero turn, which requires him to defeat the monster/minion in the space, otherwise his turn ends (unless you're Thalin).

E: Note that if the Ambush ends in stalemate and Eometh isn't defeated, his turn doesn't end (turn only ends if he is defeated or if he fails to defeat the monster/minion during his TRAVEL Step), he can take the rest of his turn normally. This means he can not only Explore Dol Guldur to complete his Advanced Quest (since he is already there, why not?) and continue moving, probably to Lothlorien.

Voluntary defeat requires bit more specific circumstances:

"Q: What happens if a hero has 0 cards in his deck and not enough cards in
his hand to move to an adjacent location?

A: The hero will need to rest on his next turn in order to
get more cards in his life pool. If the hero is on a Shadow
Stronghold, within 1 space of the Witch King, or does not have
cards in his rest pool, he may voluntarily be defeated at any point
during his turn (since he cannot rest)." (FAQ)

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, Dam. Glad to know there are people willing to help out!

Just came across another issue that could use some clarification. It arose out of the last question concerning Eometh's quest.

At the beginning of his turn (after the draw phase at the end of Sauron's turn) Eometh has no cards in his life pool but 4 cards in his hand. Since he is on Dol Goldar with the Mouth of Sauron I assume that he cannot rest. Not only is he on the same space as a minion, but in a perilous location

If he should not defeat the Mouth of Sauron during the Ambush phase, that would make him defeated forcing him to move to the nearest Haven, yes?

Also, since the Mouth of Sauron has not moved from that spot during Sauron's turn, he cannot be healed as Eometh occupies the same spot, correct?

Zornavaneltareth said:

At the beginning of his turn (after the draw phase at the end of Sauron's turn) Eometh has no cards in his life pool but 4 cards in his hand. Since he is on Dol Goldar with the Mouth of Sauron I assume that he cannot rest. Not only is he on the same space as a minion, but in a perilous location

If he should not defeat the Mouth of Sauron during the Ambush phase, that would make him defeated forcing him to move to the nearest Haven, yes?

Also, since the Mouth of Sauron has not moved from that spot during Sauron's turn, he cannot be healed as Eometh occupies the same spot, correct?

Perilous location itself doesn't prevent resting, only Shadow Strongholds do (so you can rest in Moria, a permanently perilous location if no monster/minion is there).

No, you can fail to defeat a foe during the Ambush Step and continue your turn, if you have cards left. In your example, he probably gets defeated in the combat however. If you fail to defeat a foe during your Travel step, your turn ends, but you don't have to be defeated for that to happen, just fail to defeat the foe is enough.

Yes, Mouth would retain any wounds received during the combat in the previous round.

So what would happen if Eometh defeats his opponent in the Ambush step, yet does so with his last card? Are both combatants considered defeated? Would Eometh be able to continue his turn and explore his current position (Dol Guldar)?

Zornavaneltareth said:

So what would happen if Eometh defeats his opponent in the Ambush step, yet does so with his last card? Are both combatants considered defeated? Would Eometh be able to continue his turn and explore his current position (Dol Guldar)?

If he uses his last card and has none left in life pool, he is defeated as per normal defeat rules, so his turn would end and he would plop down to Lothlorien (closest Haven), lose 1 Item or Favor, Sauron's left-most token would move, next player's turn.

Discussion in this thread:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/624307/death-or-a-kill

at least gives the consensus that when you play your last card from hand and have none in life pool, you are immediately defeated, you card won't even do damage to the foe.

E: Note that if the Ambush ends in stalemate and Eometh isn't defeated, his turn doesn't end (turn only ends if he is defeated or if he fails to defeat the monster/minion during his TRAVEL Step), he can take the rest of his turn normally. This means he can not only Explore Dol Guldur to complete his Advanced Quest (since he is already there, why not?) and continue moving, probably to Lothlorien.

I need a bit of clarification,

The rules say; each time the hero performs this step (travel step), he/she enacts all parts of the sequence below:

A) move B) combat or peril C) explore

How can Eomoth (in this example) complete his quest [C) explore], before moving [A) move]?

I know you can skip (A) & (B) and to go straight to (C. Explore) but, can the same be said for the others (skip A going to B)?

And where does it say that Peril only occurs on "New locations",..

How can Eomoth (in this example) complete his quest [C) explore], before moving [A) move]?

I know you can skip (A) & (B) and to go straight to (C. Explore) but, can the same be said for the others (skip A going to B)?

And where does it say that Peril only occurs on "New locations",..

Didn't you just answer your own question ;) ? Like you say, rules say you can skip A+B and do C at the location you start your turn in.

Under Combat or Peril:

"After the current hero has moved to a new location that is

perilous (see below) and/or contains one or more monster tokens or

minions, Sauron must resolve one of the following (if able):" (p. 22)

emphasis added