Elder Sign: First Timer clarifications please

By aBerrant Jots, in Elder Sign

We survived our first few battles with the ancient ones, largely due to the fact that we mis-interpreted several rules. However, I've been looking through the forum and found several of the clarifications I needed! I'm still confused about the Other World Adventure cards.

1. How do they persist? I think we saw some Mythos card that mentioned persitance as well, what does it mean if they persist?
  2. If we complete the tasks on the card, does the active player get the trophies? Or do they have to remember what it was worth and leave it in play? If they do remove it and spend their trophy points, is it discarded or is it moved back under the adventure cards?

Makes me wonder if we were playing completely wrong... are adventure cards supposed to be discarded (moved to the bottom of the draw pile) if they are failed? I thought a player token would remain there to try again, so they could receive assistance if another player attempted the same adventure on their turn.

Any help/clarifications are greatly appreciated.

aBerrant Jots said:

We survived our first few battles with the ancient ones, largely due to the fact that we mis-interpreted several rules. However, I've been looking through the forum and found several of the clarifications I needed! I'm still confused about the Other World Adventure cards.
  1. How do they persist? I think we saw some Mythos card that mentioned persitance as well, what does it mean if they persist?
  2. If we complete the tasks on the card, does the active player get the trophies? Or do they have to remember what it was worth and leave it in play? If they do remove it and spend their trophy points, is it discarded or is it moved back under the adventure cards?

Makes me wonder if we were playing completely wrong... are adventure cards supposed to be discarded (moved to the bottom of the draw pile) if they are failed? I thought a player token would remain there to try again, so they could receive assistance if another player attempted the same adventure on their turn.

I would suggest you start by having a look at the BoardGameGeek Elder Sign forum , in particular threads such as From the Arkham Nights Event ~ Many Questions Answered . That forum is better served than this one currently.

1) I'm not sure what you really mean by "persist" (or at least I don't understand why you are using the word "persist").

There is only one Mythos card that mentions Other World Adventure cards.
The Arcane Art... ... Closes the Doors
When the clock next strikes midnight, discard all Other World Adventure cards from play and do not replace them.

This seems straight forward. Other World Adventure cards act like other Adventure cards with the exception they do not automatically get replaced once they are completed. I think the problem may be that you have mis-understood the rules for Adventure cards in general and therefore are getting confused over Other World Adventure cards.

Adventure card are only discarded once they have been completed! Do not discard them just because you failed!

From page 7 of the rules "When a player fails an Adventure card, he suffers the card’s penalties".
When you fail you suffer the penalties, nowhere does it state that you discard or remove the actual Adventure card. Under normal circumstances, the only time you remove an Adventure card is when it has been completed (see page 6&7 of the rules "Completing a Task", steps 3 and 4). The Mythos card mentioned above is a special situation and that over-rides the usual rules.

2) I think you are using some incorrect terminology here. What do you mean by "If we complete the tasks on the card, does the active player get the trophies?" Do you mean "If we complete the monster task on the card, does the active player get the trophies? If you complete a monster task but still fail to complete the Adventure card, then yes you do get the monster trophy .

This is explained on page 11 of the rules.
" If a player successfully completed one or more tasks on a
Monster marker (or a task which includes a Monster marker, as
in the case of a partial monster task) before failing to resolve
the Adventure card it is on, he still gains the Monster marker,
removing all dice from the marker, taking it, and gaining any
reward mentioned on the back of the marker. He does this before
suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure card.
"

What do you mean by "Or do they have to remember what it was worth and leave it in play?" Remember what? Why do you have to remember what it was worth? What is it that you have to remember?? Are you taking about monster markers on the Adventure card? If so, then please do not use the word "it" but instead say what you mean.

What do you mean by "If they do remove it and spend their trophy points, is it discarded or is it moved back under the adventure cards? " Again, what are you taking about? Are you talking about trophies obtained from Monster markers? Why do you think they are moved back "under" the Adventure card?

Monster markers remain on the Adventure card until they are defeated. Once they are defeated (even if the Adventure card was not completed) then they are removed a t the end of your turn . You turn them over and they become trophies, which can be spent at the appropriate time. Read the rule on page 11 that I mentioned above.

From what you said, it does seem you are playing Elder Sign incorrectly if you are removing Adventure cards just because a player failed to complete one. Beyond that, it is difficult to say because I'm not really sure on some of the things you said. Please explain further happy.gif

Thanks xris for your response! After reviewing the rules and pages you suggested, I'm not sure why the word "persists" was chosen, except that maybe we got started a little to late that evening . We were playing incorrectly - we were not collecting the monster trophies if we completed a monster task but failed the adventure. Additional mistakes included removing monsters/doom tokens when they were listed as Adventure Rewards (instead of adding them, like the rules clearly stated). Also, we were allowing players to focus a die roll anytime.

There were probably other mistakes too, but we were definitely playing on easy mode. Despite that, we still played 3 games and had a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to playing again soon. And next time questions arise, I (hopefully) won't waste anyone's time by posting confusing questions. Cheers.