Ohayocon Post Demo Report

By vermillian2, in UFS Tourney Reports

WOOOO I had a good time. Then again, I'm weird and like doing nothing but showing people how to play the game so, that makes sense (well I enjoy playing the game too but ya know...).

So i got a free badge to go to ohayocon anime convention in CBus Ohio my hometown through OGO (ohio gaming organization). Showed up with about 10 demo decks from Broman, and about 30-40 of my own 30 card decks that I use for demo decks (and to be handed out). I was very short on rule books, but I'd made some little card sized fliers to pass out with quick info about the game (not sold in main retailers to help support gaming stores, winners get 500+ copies of themselves as a legal character, etc) with local stores contact information, my contact information, and www.fantasyflightgames.com/ufs which I now realize just redirects one to the ffg main page... oh well.

So yeah. i demod. Trips EX was there as were some MI people and some people from cincinatti I haven't seen in a while (I mean for chrissakes this team won NY Team Nats and they all pertty much stopped playing because their gamign store went out of buisiness and because of 'the economy'). I also got to see one of my older players in the region.

We managed to scrape together enough of us to play a semi-organized tournament, with assistence from Matt Myers and myself loaning out decks to old players that came unprepared.

Embarassingly enough Alan, my local legandary legacy highlander master played his new standard deck and beat Trip's not tournament legal Rock in one game (not match) with Guy, and my local star, matt myers beat him in 2/3 with the new chun li. Really it was chun li's multiple and feline spike that beat Trips, but it was a very intelligent and interesting match (what little I say of it cause most of the time I was busy demoing and talking about the game to passer bys).

Saturday I demo a bit, and I've totally got like 4 people taking or watching demos at once (all of which leave with at least two demo decks worth of cards) and then I'm asked to concede the gaming space I had in the gaming room for a local gaming company to demo their game. I do, they do (I didn't stick around) and me and two of the demoees go to the food court for frivolity and more games (of UFS with demo and real decks). I give one of the old players all but 8 cards of my Balrog deck as thanks for helping me demo and such. Maybe he'll show up to future events or something, eh?

Sunday I roll in at noon, and immediately almost run out of demo decks and call it a day. I managed to get 5 people in cleveland super psyched about the thing, and hopefully they'll be able to meet up and play. I think I've got afew of them interested in coming down to CBus for the big event (date to be determined / announced due to... gaming store manager stuff), and yeah

Memorable moments:

Some cosplay chick giving me a hug for showing her the game and giving her a demo deck (and an old copy of alt costume Tira)
Some dude offering me 60 bucks for the morrigan play mat (and being sumarily rebuked)
Cosplay people
Having three demos happening at the same time
Scantily clad cosplayers (both genders)
Matt beating Trips EX in a match

Any how just thought I'd post how fun it is to get in for free at these kind of things and demoing the crap out of UFS. Wish I had some posters or official fliers or soemthing, but whatever. I recommend this to everyone. I'll most likely be doing this again in a month at another con. Send me your extra cards people! I need stuff to give away to new recruits!

Sounds like you had a fairly enjoyable time. Its been a while since I've been to a con, so I envy the fact that you got to spend an entire weekend of playing UFS at an anime/game convention, even if part of it was doing demos. Do you think you'll be rolling down south for the Texas regionals?

Yar, sorry mate. Thats... really far. Columbus Ohio to Texas?!?

:P

That's why God created airplanes =]

Who else will cosplay as Iori? =[

Not even me man. Tired of that outfit, the jacket got ripped and I'm soooo over spraying my hair red (as evidenced at Gen Con).

Furthermore, my kick azz Kyo jacket was stolen/lost or SOMEthing... so yeah. Out of cosplaying willpower instantly.

If god meant me to fly, why did he make tickets out of my budget? :)