Some questions about gameplay, please help! routing, boats/supply

By Valhalla Gaming, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Do routed units ever stand again? It doesn't mention this in the book at all.

Furthermore do boats become routed and do they count towards supply? If they do, Starks start with an illegal army size.

programdude said:

Do routed units ever stand again?

Yes, routed units stand again at the end of the turn.

programdude said:

Furthermore do boats become routed and do they count towards supply?

Yes, fleet sizes are restricted by Supply, just as land armies are.

programdude said:

If they do, Starks start with an illegal army size.

Not sure why you think this...

Fleet in a port count toward army size...if a ship is out of port it doesn't count toward the attached land's army.

A port is it's own space, and therefore has it's own army (fleet). The rules mention returning routed units to upright on page 16 under section 4 (clean up).

Here are a few questions. They are not related to ships. About consolidate power orders (the crown orders), can you only place them where a crown is printed and you have a unit ? And do I understand it correctly that you don't recieve power tokens from crowns that are on your area if you don't but a crown order on it ? I finished my first game a few hours ago, we were all new to it, and we had so many power tokens...

I am pretty sure about the next one, but am I understanding things correctly that you can only put one order in each province (provited you have units there) in each turn ?

Olvirki said:

Here are a few questions. They are not related to ships. About consolidate power orders (the crown orders), can you only place them where a crown is printed and you have a unit ? And do I understand it correctly that you don't recieve power tokens from crowns that are on your area if you don't but a crown order on it ? I finished my first game a few hours ago, we were all new to it, and we had so many power tokens...

I am pretty sure about the next one, but am I understanding things correctly that you can only put one order in each province (provited you have units there) in each turn ?

During the Planning Phase you may (and should) place an order on every army you control. An army is any number of your units in a single area. So if you have 2 footmen and 1 knight in Seagard, you place one order there. If you only had one footman there, you'd still place one order.

Consolidate Power orders may be placed anywhere, regardless of whether there is a crown symbol printed on the area or not. Keep in mind, though, that Consolidate Power orders in a sea area have no effect, and that Consolidate Power orders in a port only work, if the connecting sea area is not controlled by somebody else. Even then you only get 1 power token, as a port is its own area and the symbols on the land area connected to the port are not taken into account.

When resolving a Consolidate Power order, you gain 1 power token for the order and an additional power token for every crown symbol printed on the area of the order. In some cases one order can get you up to 3 power tokens.

The only other way to benefit from crown symbols in areas you control, is through certain Westeros cards, which let you add up all the crown symbols in areas you control and give you that many power tokens. (Ports are important with those Westeros cards as well, as they also each give you a power token, provided the sea area isn't controlled by another player. Unfortunately this info isn't on the cards themselves, but listed in the summary sheets and, I believe, the rulebook.)

How do starks not start with an illegal area? they have one more army than they are allowed if ships are an army as well.

programdude said:

How do starks not start with an illegal area? they have one more army than they are allowed if ships are an army as well.

Because a single unit is not an army and therefore does not count toward supply. The supply limit only limits the number of armies (two or more units). You can also see how large armies can be on the supply track. I believe I am correct on this one.

@ Joe Dizzy

Thanks for making the crown order and power tokens clear for me.

So you can only put one order on each area, provited it has a unit there or an army ? Even if you have f.e. 3 units in an area (or even 2 if you put a power token in the original area or decide to abandon the area) and want them to split up, one remains, one takes one empty area and the other one takes another empty area ? I guess so, that was what my group went with.

Olvirki said:

@ Joe Dizzy

Thanks for making the crown order and power tokens clear for me.

:)

Olvirki said:

So you can only put one order on each area, provited it has a unit there or an army ? Even if you have f.e. 3 units in an area (or even 2 if you put a power token in the original area or decide to abandon the area) and want them to split up, one remains, one takes one empty area and the other one takes another empty area ? I guess so, that was what my group went with.

If I understand you correctly, then I think you did it right. But just to clarify:

An army (regardless of how many units it is made up of) only gets one order token. With the Move order, you may choose how many of those units are moved and which adjacent area you move them to. You may move all of them to one adjacent area; you may move some of them into an adjacent area and let the rest stay behind or you may move all of them into different areas.

The only thing to keep in mind, is that you may not use a single Move order to move units into more than one occupied area. In other words, each Move order may only initiate one combat per turn.

Joe Dizzy said:

During the Planning Phase you may (and should) place an order on every army you control. An army is any number of your units in a single area. So if you have 2 footmen and 1 knight in Seagard, you place one order there. If you only had one footman there, you'd still place one order.

Just to be clear, this is not optional. According to pg 12 of the rules:

"During this step, each player must place exactly one Order token facedown (i.e., secretly, his house insignia facing up) on each area he controls that contains at least one of his units (Footman, Knight, Ship, or Siege Engine)." (emphasis mine)