Delay, the key to unavoidable and double attacks?

By player1509572, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Morangias said:

I agree with Kasatka, Rev. Continuing this discussion yields no results, because we're all stuck repeating the same arguments.

The question ticket got filed, right? All we have to do is wait.

I think I said something similar on page 4 or 5.

circular-reasoning1.jpg

Lecram said:

Morangias said:

I agree with Kasatka, Rev. Continuing this discussion yields no results, because we're all stuck repeating the same arguments.

The question ticket got filed, right? All we have to do is wait.

I think I said something similar on page 4 or 5.

Then I agree with you as well :)

ItsUncertainWho said:

circular-reasoning1.jpg

Mort if you want to munchkin be our guest but there where a bunch of valid interpretation presented. I think there is no need to keep trying to convince the none munchkin that you are valid in abusing this mechanic.

It's a game, there is bound to be flaws, abusing a flaw is bad for players and GM. a Genestealer can now also start to delay action, wait why not call this game Delayed Action (DA).

Reverend mort said:

And I can agree that, unless someone else feels like claiming Delay doesn't need official errata because it's broken, this thread has more or less run it's course.

"And of course this is broken. That's the entire point of this thread. Not that it should be allowed, not that it should work this way, but that's how it does. Just because I point out something's wrong doesn't mean I think it's right. It just means it's there and it needs to be fixed."

gui%C3%B1o.gif

demonio.gif

Errata needed.

(Needs to be the last words in the thread).

so... Errata needed!

Hi all,

Well for my first post on FFG's boards, I sure seem to have come across a hot topic.

This delay problem popped up in my intro game. I ended up just saying that if you delay, you may enter the initiative sequence whenever you choose, but not interrupt someone else' turn. After reading the last 7 pages, I know see exactly where my player was coming from.

Has anyone heard/seen anything from FFG regarding this? Any FAQ or Errata? Where do I look for that?

Okay, now I am confused. I thought my PC's could attack (half action), then delay (costs them a half action) in order to use a half action later on in the round? The answer in that link says that a PC can attack (half action), and then delay (half action), but they will only have free actions left?

Also, the link doesn't tell me if the delayed action can be used as an interrupt in the middle of an NPC's turn, or if they can insert themselves where they want in the initiative sequence.

The dodge/parry as normal makes sense (thankfully).

deadlyhammer said:

Okay, now I am confused. I thought my PC's could attack (half action), then delay (costs them a half action) in order to use a half action later on in the round? The answer in that link says that a PC can attack (half action), and then delay (half action), but they will only have free actions left?

Also, the link doesn't tell me if the delayed action can be used as an interrupt in the middle of an NPC's turn, or if they can insert themselves where they want in the initiative sequence.

Not to be rude, but you, as were others, were looking for a way to get an extra free half action.

To activate a delayed action requires a half action. You spend a half action to delay and your remaining half action can be used later in the round. It's not really intended to be used as the second half of your action for a round, it's meant to be the first thing you do. If you attack then delay you don't have another half action to use, so it's pointless. There are only a few very limited circumstances that make a second half delay make any sense.

I, in any system I run, require players to specify what they are using as a trigger for their delay. The delayed action will then interrupt or pause another characters actions. After the player uses their delayed half action, the paused character, if able, gets to carry on with their actions.

deadlyhammer said:

Only if you don't know the definition of the words Instead and reserve does the description in the book not mean what the rules answer says.

"Instead of acting immediately, the character waits for an
opportunity. When a character chooses Delay, his Turn ends,
but he reserves a delayed Half Action for later use. Any time
before the start of his next Turn, the character can perform a
delayed Half Action of his choice."

Do we need to quote dictionaries?

There is no new or extra action created by the delay action. You use the two half actions you get each round, no more.

Nathiel said:

Only if you don't know the definition of the words Instead and reserve does the description in the book not mean what the rules answer says.

"Instead of acting immediately, the character waits for an
opportunity. When a character chooses Delay, his Turn ends,
but he reserves a delayed Half Action for later use. Any time
before the start of his next Turn, the character can perform a
delayed Half Action of his choice."

Do we need to quote dictionaries?

There is no new or extra action created by the delay action. You use the two half actions you get each round, no more.

I will agree that the RAW dosn't make the interruption part clear, but I will not agree that the RAW allows any kind of attack, delay, attack type of action. The reason why it's not a full action is then you would have no action to 'reserve' for later. The big difference between Delay and the other actions that take place in response to things (overwatch and supressing fire) is that it lets you do ANY half action later in the round without declaring before hand what or when. If it was a full action you would have to declare at the time of delay what you wanted to do later.

The rule clarification makes the interruption posibility of delay much less likely. It basicaly says that it is not the enemies turn when you use the delayed action so they can defend. this means you can not use the delayed action on their turn, so you have to do it either before or after their turn. I would say after. Even overwatch, which is intended to interrupt when something comes into the area, has you make a roll to see who goes first.

(I'm not the one to 'dredge up' this thread, the person above with the legitamate question brought it back up and I pointed them to the rules question. now a bunch of people are back in it. I'm sorry that you are offended. It is possible that many people do not have english as a first language and that could be the cause for difficulty interpreting what I and many others see as perfect English explanation of it in the RAW. It will be difficult to predict what implications you wil draw from my words but I will try not to be so 'somewhat rude' in the future.)

@ItsUncertainWho
Wow, I've posted twice and already I'm getting flamed. Let me make this clear for you, as maybe you didn't read my post(s). I'm the GM with a player who read this section through fairly well and tried to do this. As a very green GM, I ruled it as stated above and said I would look into it before our next session.

As I now understand it: As intended, Delay should be a full action that allows you to perform a half action any time before your next turn.

So one of my first questions has also answered, albeit in a roundabout way: a PC is allowed to perform their delayed half action in the middle of another's turn, as otherwise there would be no need for Dodge/Parry on your own turn in response to a delayed attack.

Therefore, my original ruling in our game (PC's decide where the reinsert themselves into the initiative sequence), was technically incorrect, although a PC could just as easily decide to perform their delayed half action at the end or beginning of someone's turn (effectively inserting themselves into the initiative order without actually doing so).

Thanks all! Reading this has been very helpful, if somewhat hard on the eyes.