Compiled Rulebook?

By Caladorn, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Over Thanksgiving Weekend I was playing Descent w/ my group of gamers and realized something. Since we play this game so infrequently we were finding ourselves looking through several of the rulebooks to find this potion, that effect, what does this prop do, etc. Very frustrating searchign through so many books. Had to do it to for the updated versions of the adventure maps and details for treachery and such.

So it came to mind I would like to see a book published, hardbound like the Quest Compendium Volume One, that compiles all of the non-campaign rules from all of the expansions into one volume. No more searching for this or that because I we can't remember where we found it, and so forth. Is this possible? Would there be enough interest in something like this to get it into production? Would be nice to do a volume that compiles all of the quests w/ updated information for each of them too. Perhaps sell them as a 2-book set?

It is a nice idea, I will give you that. However, they did announce a second edition for Descent and will have different rules and presumably a different game engine.

Also, FFG cancelled all of their reprints for the current edition, so the likelihood of them doing something else, like a rule book will just not happen.

If you look around, you can find a rules document that has all of the current rules and erratas online. "Universal Head"

I agree with Jonny's assessment. It seems unlikely at this point that FFG will be printing anything else for first edition. In fact, last I heard they hadn't even given answers to the big list of questions the fans had been compiling (which hopefully they will, for those who might still have an interest in playing 1e.)

That said, there is a fan-made compilation of the rules - basically exactly what you're asking for - made by this Universal Head guy. I'm pretty sure it's up on Boardgamegeek.com, if not elsewhere. You'll have to print it out yourself, so how fancy the binding will be depends on how much you're willing to spend in that regard at some print shop, but otherwise you should be good to go.

Steve-O said:

I agree with Jonny's assessment. It seems unlikely at this point that FFG will be printing anything else for first edition. In fact, last I heard they hadn't even given answers to the big list of questions the fans had been compiling (which hopefully they will, for those who might still have an interest in playing 1e.)

Yeah - I've been a little crabby about the lack of any reply on this. I did email Anton again to see if there is any update on it at all. It was sent in with options - most could simply be resolved by choosing the correct answer. There was a lot of work put into that by several people here - all in an effort to fix the game and take the bulk of the work off FFGs plate.

I'd be really bothered if they help with a resolution to most of the questions posed.

Other than the maasive number of questions and clarifications people have I see no reason to ditch the game as it stands. I could hope then that 2nd Edition may make things simpler- or rather, simpler to understand. I like 1e's complexity and depth as it is. I'll take a look around for that fan made compilation. Who knows, I may have to just make my own version.

SoylentGreen said:

I did email Anton again to see if there is any update on it at all.

Any reaction from his side? Our last contact had been in September with basically no new information in his answer...