Make a Star Wars game!

By Mattr0polis, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

Come on FFG! Imagine the best game company making a game for one of the best entertainment properties. It would be amazing.

Maybe even bring back the Star Wars CCG that Decipher made a while back, but use your greatly implemented LCG distribution system.

Do it!

Though it seems to be a licensing issue, I would love to see a remake of the Queen's Gambit. Luckily I managed to grab a copy from oversees. While the minatures were great, some of the other components were the typical sub-standard Hasbro fair - especially the cards. But cards, miniature, unique game boards - this all seems right up FFG's alley.

Yeah, Queen's Gambit was sweet, though imo there has never really been a great SW board game. Probably the closest thing is SW Risk and/or Queen's Gambit, which isn't saying much.

The Star Wars CCG was argueably the game that best captured the SW spirit, and was also probably one of the best CCG's of all time. The only problem is that most CCG's are dying off in their current form except for Magic TCG. FFG's LCG system seems to be the card game way of the future.

No, there's needs to be a Star WArs board version with the mechanics of Runebound or Arkham horror. And RPG Board Game, played in Modules for new adventures to be released. Make it almost a completely expansion based game, and each module/expansion to come out could involve new adventure/s to be had in different star wars systems. The Outer Rim or the Core, or just even the Tatooine system. Endless Possibilities! A sure money maker....however, the capital to acquire such a license could be monumental to wrestle from the hands of HASBRO.

If a SW board game will actually make FFG money, sure.

As for LCG's or Minis, meesah vote no-no! Stop the madness.

Please.

I will lobby for this. Using the Arkham horror style map and similiar mechanics, but instead of neighborhoods have representative planets. Such as, Tatooine, then perhaps instead of locations have cities, such as Mos Eisley and Mos Espa or Anchorhead. Include several other planets like Naboo, Nar Shadaa, etc. and have a few cities stemming from each location. Now, instead of Ancient One's we have Villans that will pursue the characters, launching their minions from the locations such as maybe imperial troops, mercenaries, bounty hunters, creatures etc. And these villans/ancient ones could be famous star wars characters such as Jabba the Hutt to Darth Vader, or just Crimelords, Moffs or Dark Jedi.

The Characters travel around this game board representative of a collection of planets, trying to build up their skills (like in Runebound) and overcoming challenges, adventures and upgrading weapons and/or force powers.

The player would likely not be the heros from the movies....or maybe they will with perhaps an option to create all new characters. Thus creating a RPG Board game. Future expansions cold feature new galaxies, new planets, new villans or campaigns.

However, one major element to star wars is well...wars in space. I'm not sure how to tie in a space combat element. Which would clearly be the most exciting aspect of the game.

Is anybody out there feelin' me on this?

A long time ago... wasn't there a board game for escaping from the Deathstar, or am I just imagining that?

Anyhow, a space battle game, a little more demanding than Wings of War for manouevers would be quite cool.

Hey, what about using this idea for Dark Heresy? Warhammer 40K? Anyone? If the star Wars license is unattainable, as I'm sure it is, what about using an existing Sci-fi Scenario taking advantage of a combine rules systems of Arkham Horror and Runebound.

RedMike said:

A long time ago... wasn't there a board game for escaping from the Deathstar, or am I just imagining that?

"Escape from Death Star" - I think this one was a solitaire game from Task Force Games. They also did some other Star Wars games, like "Assault on Hoth" and other titles I don't remember.

Nevertheless, a Star Wars game would be very cool - I would like it expandable, big, and epic!!!

Just giving this thread a bump

Something like a Star Wars version of Runebound sounds cool but still doesn't seem like it would capture the full feel of SW. What is Android like? When I see the gameboards for that out it makes me immediately think of Coruscant.

I still think an SW LCG would be sweet, but really any "heavier" Star Wars board game that is well done would be nice.

I would say a game mechanic closer to Arkham Horror with some elements of RuneBound, i.e. Adventure Cards, Allies, etc. But have it be more of a cooperative RPG Board Game, where, like in Arkham, you play the against the board, instead of each other...or, like in Runebound, one player could hypotheticaly fall to the darkside and go against other players. In stead of playing against "Ancient Ones". players are pitted against, Imperail Moffs, Crimelords, Darth Vader, etc.

West End Games produced 3 board games, back when they were doing the D6 Star Wars RPG: Assault on Hoth, Escape From The Death Star and Battle For Endor. Assault on Hoth was *by far* the best of the three, and a very good game for capturing the feel of the scene from the movie.

However, to give FFG the leeway they would probably want in designing a game from scratch, I'd recommend a Knights of the Old Republic board game. It's not like FFG hasn't created games from video games before ;)

-shnar