Inquisition game style: letting your players play both inquisitors and acolytes

By Darkmittens, in Dark Heresy House Rules

so after resolving my last session, where my players decided that they were above authority, and got everyone in thier party killed i thought that i should do some work on a set of rules to give them the freedom they clearly want, while keeping them in the controlled setting that i enjoy having, i came up with the idea that i let my players run a system where they played as both an aspiring inquisitor and a cell of acolytes.

now the link below will let you look at the rules, but please note that this is a first and very rough draft, and that i am letting my players review it and comment, tell me what you think..

link

feedback is apreciated, also my players are using the rouge trader book as well, and i am letting them take a possible carrer in rouge trader to give the background that a inquisitor would have..

Why not just run an Ascended game?

Then you can always create one or more "regular" DH groups of lowly acolytes, who are working for the ascended group. Good way of sharing the GM job too.

i don't have the asceded rulebook, and i am a little strapped for cash, so i am running a simple system, plus i wanted to try my hand at leaving the dm'ing to my players, as i am currently drawing up a roster that lets them select a mission from a list i have built, this will serve as a way to let my players cover a good chunk of in game interactions as well, as i like each player being thier own inquisitor with possibly conflicting views with the rest of the party... could this be a problem??

plus, i am unfamiliar with the Ascencion rulebook, if i may ask, what does it cover, i understand the overall goal (to ascend into even higher ranks on each carrer), but i don't know the specifics...

It covers not only ascended ranks [9-16], but adds classes like the Inquisitor and anything that could be in his retinue. It also replaces the Thrones system with Influence, and adds ascended skills and talents.

You can get it for half price if you get the pdf version, which should be about 20-30$

It's also extremely likely to destroy your campaign with tons of unbalanced rules and sour players on their characters, as instead of progressing naturally from their previous careers, they'll get shoehorned into a smaller number of pretty specific careers with little to no relation to previous progression, just so they could add all the guys accompanying Inquisitors in the tabletop.

You have been warned.

Yeah Ascension is definetly what you're looking for here, but it's a rather... questionable book. Balance is all over the place, and for a book that's supposed to be about using resources to defeat opposition, it really lets you completely destroy all opposition in straight combat. Good example are vindicare assassins. A well built one can generally dodge about 15 attacks per turn. Including normally undodgable attacks. I regret transitioning my party into the book, it's just too ridiculous.

Don't forget about the Primaris Psyker who can manifest Powers with a threshold of about 25 through WP Bonus alone, but still rolls five dice to add overbleed with no chance of Phenomena.

Yeah, Ascension was a good idea, but a total botch in terms of rules. The fluff on how the Inquisition works is pretty good, and so are the adversaries, but that's about that.

Yeah, Primaris Psykers are just broken. I've thrown monsters that are intended to be bosses for Deathwatch characters at my Psyker and he's taken them out in single rounds.

whew, thanks guys, i didn't realize it was that bad, with that warning, i would like to say that my party is currently running a mission using these rules, but the players seem to be happy with it, they had some fun with the cloak and dagger politics of building characters without knowing who thier teammates and potential enemies would be, plus they really liked adding hidden things about their inquisitors, like taking the psyker carrer, or a special skill on an acolyte..

all in all looks to be doing preety well, will continue to update as we go