How Many Evasions are Allowed

By player1197498, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Evasions (parry or dodge) occur as a reaction to an opponent's attack. Is there any limit to how many times the defender can evade? If he/she gets attacked 10 times by different opponents during a round, does he/she get to evade each attack?

furashgf said:

Evasions (parry or dodge) occur as a reaction to an opponent's attack. Is there any limit to how many times the defender can evade? If he/she gets attacked 10 times by different opponents during a round, does he/she get to evade each attack?

You get one reaction. One Parry or one Dodge, that's it. If you get shot by 10 opponents you get to dodge one.

Wall of Steel and Step Aside allow you one extra Dodge or Parry on top of your regular reaction.

Great answer. It makes sense, because I think in the rules somewhere it says that you can only do one of each kind of action per round unless you have a special talent, e.g., you can only do 1 "overwatch" (not 2 or 5).

furashgf said:

Great answer. It makes sense, because I think in the rules somewhere it says that you can only do one of each kind of action per round unless you have a special talent, e.g., you can only do 1 "overwatch" (not 2 or 5).

This is also most certainly the case. A side thing to point out is that a hostile Psychic Power's Focus Power test is also to be treated as a Standard Attack for such a restriction.

However, the primary reason there is only one evasion action normally is still that characters only have 1 reaction each turn (except when they have talents that give them special options like the aforementioned Step Aside and Wall of Steel). This matters when things like mechadendrites come into play, or some of those frenzy related talents that I forget the name of.

Not only a hostile psychic power but every psychic power except resist possesion counts as standard attack action.

Hello together,

i hope this is no kind of thread-necromancy, but it seems that i have some misconception of this kind of question so i'd like to reply here instead of creating a new post.

It's primary about the additional Evasions a Player can gain through "Wall of Steel" or "Step Aside". Is it possible to get the benefits of this two talents at one turn if the player purchased both? Two parries and a dodge? (Or two dodges and a parry).

I've always read that as 'additional reaction limited to a specific action', a friend of mine think it's a 'second reaction limited to a specific action' .

With best regards

Starsilver

Hello together,

i hope this is no kind of thread-necromancy, but it seems that i have some misconception of this kind of question so i'd like to reply here instead of creating a new post.

It's primary about the additional Evasions a Player can gain through "Wall of Steel" or "Step Aside". Is it possible to get the benefits of this two talents at one turn if the player purchased both? Two parries and a dodge? (Or two dodges and a parry).

I've always read that as 'additional reaction limited to a specific action', a friend of mine think it's a 'second reaction limited to a specific action' .

With best regards

Starsilver

I've always ruled that it's "in addition to" meaning you can dodge twice and parry once, or parry twice and dodge once, for a total of 3 reactions. This gives the players a now not-insignificant way to ignore damage, but that's what dual-wielding and lightning attack is for, Whirlwind of Death even if you're willing to explain why you've allowed it for your enemies and not your players.

Okay, thank you!

Hopefully this can clear the situation on the table. I'll handle it in this way because that's exaclty how i understood the talent. If there is the possibility to attack three times, the player should get the chance to dodge or parry most of the blows. Especially if the campaing contains more fights with stronger ..well.. mobs.

Thanks fo far :)