Should I get all of the 1ed expansions while I still can?

By aatami, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello, I am new here and registered immediately after hearing that the 1ed products are being taken out of print. Is this actually true?

If so, should I get all of the expansions I have missed on as quickly as possible, is this my last chance to get these products, or will they be printed again at some point? Reading material about 2ed, I've figured that 2ed will be so different from 1ed that their quite different games, so I will probably play both. (and as a side note, it seems I'll prefer 1ed since 2ed seems more streamlined and less "gamey", which is the reason I even play descent)

Even though I would have better things to invest into right now, I wouldn't want to miss my last chance to get the expansions I'm missing. (I only have the base game and wod)
Is this my last chance?

aatami said:

Hello, I am new here and registered immediately after hearing that the 1ed products are being taken out of print. Is this actually true?

Yes, all of the 1e products have been removed from FFG's printing schedule, so it would seem that whatever's out there is the last of it.

aatami said:

If so, should I get all of the expansions I have missed on as quickly as possible, is this my last chance to get these products, or will they be printed again at some point?

I sincerely doubt that they will be reprinted again. Similar elements will likely find their way into 2e eventually (ie: If there are no boulders in the base box then there will probably be boulders in an expansion eventually,) but these exact combinations and rules are likely gone forever.

aatami said:

Reading material about 2ed, I've figured that 2ed will be so different from 1ed that their quite different games, so I will probably play both. (and as a side note, it seems I'll prefer 1ed since 2ed seems more streamlined and less "gamey", which is the reason I even play descent)

"Streamlined rules" is a term that FFG has used to promote the second edition rules forthcoming. "Less gamey" is a term that fans (particularly sketpics of 2e) seem to have adopted when describing their interpretation of what "streamlined" means. I, for one, am not convinced that that word means what they think it means.

The bottom line is we don't know much about how the rules are changing, so we don't really know how "gamey" the second edition will be yet. Personally, I don't think that simple rules necessarily equals simple game play. I've seen plenty of games with simple rules that have complex strategic implications once you get rolling. But for now we'll have to wait and see.

aatami said:

Even though I would have better things to invest into right now, I wouldn't want to miss my last chance to get the expansions I'm missing. (I only have the base game and wod)
Is this my last chance?

I know that Road to Legend has already become quite scarce, and I expect SoB will become so in time as well, as fans who can't buy RtL will probably snap that one up as a substitute Advanced Campaign. I'm not so sure the vanilla expansions will disappear that quickly, but I also wouldn't count on them being around forever. The question you really need to ask yourself is whether or not you're willing to drop $60-$80 a pop for whatever expansions you still need. If you're willing to spend the money, then I would suggest acting now. However, if it's too rich for your blood, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the bank to make it happen.

Also, keep your eye on the used market. There are bound to be some people who will drop all their 1e stuff even after 2e comes out (heck, I've already seen a couple over on BGG.)

So this is in deed my last chance in my whole lifetime? Well then, I guess I have to rush and get the expansions.

aatami said:

So this is in deed my last chance in my whole lifetime? Well then, I guess I have to rush and get the expansions.

I don't know about that.

The first edition is definitely out of print. I really don't see any chance of it being reprinted later. However, only time will tell how available this game remains in the used market, or for how long.

For example, it's entirely possible that the 2e campaign mode will turn out to satisfy all the requirements of those players who want such a campaign mode, in which case the current "gold rush" for RtL might die off once 2e is out. It might even lead to a glut of people selling off their copies of RtL because they've decided they prefer 2e and since basically nothing from RtL looks like it will carry over, there's precious little reason for them to keep it.

Or it might remain rare and valuable for years to come.

The decision is yours to make and yours alone, but I would advise against thinking about it in terms like "my last chance ever in my whole lifetime." Unless you have a terminal illness or otherwise don't expect to live a long and healthy life, it's entirely possible that future opportunities to buy the game will come up. Make the choice you feel most comfortable with, but don't make it in desperation. That will only lead to regret later on.

By way of example, a few years ago I found a copy of the original "Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader" book for sale in nearly pristine condition, and for a reasonable price (I forget exactly how much, but I remember it being surprisingly affordable.) We're talking about the book that established the 40k setting, for all intents and purposes, paving the way for the juggernaut that is 40k today. A book that nicely combined tabletop combat rules with a hint of role-playing potential and a metric ton of fluff. A book that has been out of print since sometime in the early 90s, and something that I never figured I'd have a chance to own myself.

A product going out of print will make it harder to find, but that doesn't mean it's your last chance ever. If you want it now and you're willing to pay whatever it costs, then go nuts. However, the game is not going to completely disappear overnight, and there's no telling what opportunities the future might hold. Were I in your shoes, I would probably be seriously considering Altar of Despair and Tomb of Ice (the two vanilla expansions you don't own), since they will give you more to work with and the figures will be transferrable in the event that you decide to upgrade to 2e after it comes out. I wouldn't waste too much effort on the AC expansions, though. "AC" style options will exist in 2e, and they'll probably work better overall, having been part of the design since day one. I don't think AoD or ToI will be too expensive to find, but RtL and (possibly) SoB might be more than they're really worth.