Good places to take Broken Chains

By SneakySly, in Black Crusade Game Masters

I was wondering where GMs were taking their players after running the broken chains campaign. It feels like this would be a point where the players would split up, so I am looking for good ideas to hold them together.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'll let you know what I'm planning on, and let that hopefully give you some ideas.

Firstly, let the Daemonhost play up the formidability of the party in an attempt to free him form the armory. Really dig in the idea that they are stronger together than they are seperately. It may give them the idea that they are better at accomplishing their goals as a group. I'm really going to emphasize the fact they were in stasis for 200 years. It means (for mortals) that everyone they cared about is long dead, and that is the Imperium's fault. Revenge is certainly a cohesive factor in Broken Chains.

Talk with one of your players who has broad, overarching, and grand goals. He'll need minions, err, companions to help him achieve those goals.

However Broken Chains ends for them, I will have them arrive at The Hollows (BC pg. 332).

If they are succesful, Forge Polix is a perfect place to ressuply, convince someone to repair the Chains, and possibly start to crew the thing if the ship survived and the players succeded. To get the gear and resources they need, or if they are looking for work, there is a constant rivalry between the two hives of the world.

Alternately, if they are not successful aboard the Chains and the Daemonhost shuts down the Gellar Field, the characters are spirited away through the Warp. They can arrive on The Hollows as a botched summoning ritual brings the characters to some chaos cultist businessmen (who initially is looking to summon a deamon for help) looking to make financial headway in Forge Polix. Instead he gets Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp.

I'm approaching this game a lot like a sandbox game, I just expand the size of the sandbox as Infamy increases.

While I am not actually running a group of my own, I had the following idea/concept

While the hulk they are on drift near the vortex, the ship gets entered by a Chaos Vessel. A heavily armed boarding party (including a dozen of heavly armed individuals and two CSM) tries to enter the bridge... accompanied by a figure more machine then man.

He introduces himself a Sallivari , a spokesmen to a prominent Champion of Chaos (the Reave commanding the other vessel). He introduces himself quiet politely...even if the pc previously starte a firefight with his crew (which he interruptes immediately). He shows himself interested in the pc as they were cabable of directing the ship here. As some kind of gratitude "for moving so much pretty salvage into the hands of my Master" he offers them a transfer whereever they go... and even a task to do.

His offer is to send them to a station orbiting around Kurse. Their task shall be to lead an operation to raise a horde of fighter form the native populace of Kurse to bolster the ranks of depleteable troops for his master.

The pc do not need to accept, but it would give them a chance to proof themselves and a firm standing in the vortex.

Once on the station, they need to acquire shuttle services, guides and other logistic. Afterwards, a trail begins where they need to travel from settlment to settlment to win over parts of the populace to be shipped up to the waiting renegade ship to go and to do battle...

...while other crews from other ships are doing the same! As well as some slaver crew hunting people for the forges

Has anyone looked into going from Broken Chains into the adventures in the main book and/or the GM kit?

I ended up kind of doing that. I went from a modified Broken Chains adventure to a modified GM kit adventure (Zul popped them out above Sacgrave) and made the Tyrant's Chain have some properties that lead them into the next step that opens everything up.

Can you elaborate on what changes you made and how you linked the adventures together?

I took out the mutant leader queen in chains, since she seemed poorly thought out. I made Zul out to be much more manipulative and Tzeentch like. After the battle at the end of chains, Zul possesses the dead interrogators body.

He naviagtes them out of the warp and into the screaming vortex. The Chains emerges close to orbit around Sacgrave. They saw the ship mentioned in the BC book that orbits the planet. Their ship is basically unable to move at this point, but still has shuttles. Zul at this point claims to know the ship orbiting Sacgrave. They have a "history" together.

I turned that ship into a daemon ship that the players could take control of.

Zul offers them a compact to get into the ship and perform a ritual to bring him on board. (I am making compacts in my game rituals that are partially binding to the Chaos Gods, which is why failing them gives corruption.)

[i took this as an oppurtunity to introduce compacts to the players, explaining them out of game and tying them into fluff ingame. I also brought up that if a player has a personal goal they want to add, to just text me with what they want to do. Two players texted me that they wanted to possess the Cord personally. demonio.gif ]

To do this, Zul says they need an artifact that allows partial control over some Daemons, called the Tyrants Cord. He can sense that the Cord lies on the surface of the planet. they can scan the location to somewhere in the Zigguraut in the Weeping Chambers on the planet below.

The players agree to the compact and went down to the planet. They go through the GM kit adventure, with the other party more being in the background. Instead, they already knew about the Zigguraut and had to do investigation to find out how to get there. After doing a bunch of the stuff in the GM kit, they reach the Zigguraut, and find that the Cord was recently taken by the group of outworlders in the kit. They chase them down and kill them, getting the Cord.

After getting the cord, they shuttled up to the Daemon ship. They get on board, and navigate through a maze like messed up daemon ship. The cord is briefly glowing at this point, its powers helping to protect the players from the Daemon. The tech priest wants to interface with some Cogitators to get a layout of the ship so they can actually have an idea of where the hell they are supposed to go. However, intelligently; she realizes that interfacing with a Daemon ship is a bad idea unless she is wearing the Cord.(she also had a personal goal of getting the cord for herself ;) ).

She explains to the party to give her the Cord so that she can access the Cogitator. However: The current player wielding the cord was the other one who claimed it as his personal objective. gran_risa.gif

A little tussle ensues (in which the current Cord weilder got messed up bad), leading to the Tech Priest and another player gaining control of the Cord from the one who was weilding it. She puts the Cord on, and interfaces with the ship. as she does this, the Cord starts to glow very brightly and in her mind the Daemon starts talking to her. She gets ship information and agrees to meet the heart of the Daemon ship in the bridge. (that is hwere the ritual to summon Zul needed to happen) The players make their way to the bridge, minus the player who previously held the Cord who was doing his own thing.

They got to the bridge and saw the pulsating heart of the ship. The daemon now talks to all of them: promising to help them burn the starts to the ground if they repaired it's engines and let it sail the void again. The players begin talking with the Daemon, but mention summoning zul on board. The ship vehemently disagrees with this, but will allow them to bring Zul on board if they betray him and eliminate him.

The players at this point had the choice of allying with Zul or the ship. They conduct the ritual to bring Zul on board, but add some binding runes to the summon. Zul arrives on board, and asks the players to hand over the Cord so that he may prepare to take over the ship and get things going. The players proceed to turn on him: Zul rages but is defeated by the players with the help of the Daemon Ship. Before he dies, he reaches out mentally to the other player still wandering the ship and makes a bargain of vengeance with him. They know have a link and mutual desire to see the one player currently using the Cord broken.

This all ends with the players in control of the Daemon ship, having made an impression in the weeping halls below, and ready to go off and do whatever they want. They are now prepared to enter into a compact with the daemon ship and go get their death and destruction on.

Sorry for any typos, I am pressed for time.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I particularly like your idea about making Compacts into rituals, consider that "appropriated" for my own games. demonio.gif

I brought the ship out very badly damaged and battered but near the forge world of the Hollows.

They have a ship that need repairs badly - it will only just make the hollows, but have no coin or resources to batter for the items they need to get it repaired.

However... the Forgeworld is split into two factions, with the, most useful right now, Ship repairing one of them being the disgruntled underdog.
Now if some outsider, deniable and expendable resource was to help them rectify this position, or just inconvenience the other side - then who knows, ship repairs may just be on the house...

I am working on a campaign for them to perform tasks in exchange for repairs to get the ship up and running. However intervening in grudges and rivalries is not only risky, but politics and alliances can change . Never more so when the Gods of Chaos are watching....

I'll provide more details in a thread once my Group has been through the adventures ahead.

I also decided against using the mutant scavenger queen since it seemed a bit of a time-sink and my players wanted to get on with murdering the interrogator.

By the adventure end, Zul had been suitably impressed with the apostate that he did not betray the heretics, though they had been really afraid and mistrustful of him all the way through I am happy it turned out that way.

They kept Bore, the sample heretek, alive and I suggested they might be able to keep him on if properly motivated. They did keep the ship, but like others I ruled it to be too badly damaged to do more than limp into the Screaming Vortex, requiring considerable repairs before it will be capable of warp travel again. I haven't decided which planet they are going to arrive at yet though.

Stuntie said:

I brought the ship out very badly damaged and battered but near the forge world of the Hollows.

They have a ship that need repairs badly - it will only just make the hollows, but have no coin or resources to batter for the items they need to get it repaired.

However... the Forgeworld is split into two factions, with the, most useful right now, Ship repairing one of them being the disgruntled underdog.
Now if some outsider, deniable and expendable resource was to help them rectify this position, or just inconvenience the other side - then who knows, ship repairs may just be on the house...

I am working on a campaign for them to perform tasks in exchange for repairs to get the ship up and running. However intervening in grudges and rivalries is not only risky, but politics and alliances can change . Never more so when the Gods of Chaos are watching....

I'll provide more details in a thread once my Group has been through the adventures ahead.

So orginanlly I worked up a stop to "The Hollows" and had similar intentions, but with a darker twist to it. Seems my players decided that they wished to return the ship to its glory days in the service of Chaos. How to effect repairs of this magnitude???? well aside from running those "inconveniencing" the other side missions to help aid their fight, they traded the 7,000 or whatever you decide the # of feral humans would probably tally up to to the Forge Magos to get turned into his next wave of battle servitors or whatever. as a replacement though you will obviously need enough slaved servitors and deck hands to keep this ship functioning.

But the best part is now the group has an established ally and commerce partner to start cutting their territory out . I find this can lead to a well laid out web of interactions that will not always result in an hour of dice slinging and horde slaying (fun but repetative sometimes). plus if you have devious players you can RP out the manipulation (or rather the ATTEMPTED) of BOTH factions to gain access to both types of services and or gear.....dangerous path to walk that one. good luck.

I swapped the Carrion Queen lot for a less denegerate and Imperial crew able to perform basic tasks etc. (The Carrion Queen mob was just too much like a clone of the ferals.) Semi/illerate and only really capable of routine 'ritulised' maintenance tasks, but with enough skill potential to be useful resources.

The premise being that their last orders from the inquisitor - [stay here keep things going best you can whilst we cryo sleep. Watch out for the Prisioners tryingto escape. We will emerge from cryo if there is trouble or we exit to real space.] had become confused/mutated over the generations to be be along more classic religious saviour lines I.e. Our 'Angels' are sleeping in the sacred sanctum and will awaken to deliver us their servants in our time of need.

They were introduced immediately following the battle vs the Inquisitors and the return to real space - with all the booms and banks and failures that went with it. The PC's found a bunch of them in the Cryo room (the sacred sleeping place of the Angels) looking at the now empty cryo units. The Apostate in the team (helped no doubt by the presence of the by now heavily tooled up by now warriors of the team) immediately latched onto to the oportunity to become the saviours they were waiting for. So they now have a proto-crew to help them out. Crew 're-training', 'monitoring' and 'datastore editing' is going on apace as the Apostate endeavours to ensure crew loyalty to thier 'saviours'.

My lot have also begun running sweeps to grab ferals from the prision section for use as Servitors like Adept Orcadius. They are more an onboard servitor repair/service commodity at the moment but could well be tradeable goods too if the players think about things.

On a side note, once the ship is repaired enough to be mobile, they will have a very good 'large scale human commodity transporter' at their disposal. Something the Worlds could well have use of. The irony of they themselve transporting prisioners to another chaos world would be just too much to miss...

Hi,

I'm going to start my first BC campaign with broken chains. After whatever happens on the ship they'll end up on Xurunt.

I chose Xurunt because one of my players has allways wanted to play d&d version of conan.
I watched the new movie, and although not a great movie, I loved the atmosfere of that type of savage world. So I think it's a good setting to sandbox and let them adventure and explore.

It also helped me that they choose a khorne berserker, a nurgle sorcerer and an unaligned renegade.
It would be more difficult to have an all Slaanesh party running around seducing all the nasty savages. :-)