Damaging cover

By coolzyg, in Black Crusade House Rules

Hello

I've been thinking today about cover rules. As everybody know cover is destroyed every time when damage + penetration exceed armour it grants. But here start stupid thing. Cover can be damaged only by one damage per shot. So you can shoot to my steel wall that grants me 10 ap with lasgun and (hopefully) after 10 rounds i will be without cover. But you can also shoot this same wall 10 times with melta gun and it will take the same amount of time. So I propose change to those rules. When damage exceed armour:

las, sp, primitive – it still only take 1 armour

bolt, plasma, flame, launchers – every shoot take 2 armour

melta - every shoot take 3 armour

heavy – additional minus 1 armour

blast – additional half blast rounding up

super heavy – dunno much?

Also i think that cover should not work against flamers. But they should damage it.

So let's see lascannon with every shoot would take 2 armour, multimelta 5, hb 3, plasma cannon 3 and in maximal 4.

What do you think about it?

Spray weapons [flamers] already ignore cover.

The rules look fine to me, but I would just make up an arbitrary number on the spot. Calculating it all takes too much time. There are also some things in there that you aren't considering. For example, a flame weapon won't really do a lot to cover that isn't flamable. Cover that is flamable will probably be entirely destroyed in the first turn.

Flamable cover in most cases give small cover lets say pile of wood ap 5 one shoot form melta and it's gone and big pile of wood ap 15 won't burn in one shot. So it doesn't matter if it's flamable. Dunno if calculating it can be hard. Maybe if you have a lot of npc in fight GM can have a little problem but GM tend to be geniuses so it's no problem ;) and players would know how much cover their weapon would take.

Well, if you want more realism you can increase the damage to cover. What I always wondered how big is the section over cover damaged.
I usually when using a grid say its a one grid section or more if it is a blast weapon.

Personally I think there is simply to much difference between the types of weapons, types of cover, and other effects to make a set of rules for damaging all cover.

A Krak grenade will do a number on a door, probably making useless as cover. A heavy plasteel plate is worth a lot less if poorly anchored. Mostly, when I run games, I just describe the cover, and let it be damaged by what I think is right. With some player input of course.

Just my two cents.

my rule has always been that for every amount of damage that equals the AP of the object reduces it by one, no mater the attack type. So if you hit an AP 4 door with 16 damage in one hit, the door is gone.

SomVone said:

Personally I think there is simply to much difference between the types of weapons, types of cover, and other effects to make a set of rules for damaging all cover.

A Krak grenade will do a number on a door, probably making useless as cover. A heavy plasteel plate is worth a lot less if poorly anchored. Mostly, when I run games, I just describe the cover, and let it be damaged by what I think is right. With some player input of course.

Just my two cents.

Like what SomVone said (someone? /heh), I would go on a case by case basis. If someone is using a melta (ap 10ish), then I think if the AP exceeds the cover, and it is a burning weapon, then the cover is gone. Whereas a flamer has no pen. It would take a long time for an enormous amount of wood (AP 15 someone said) to completely turn to ash. However in that case I would like to see the cover catch the player on fire if they dont decide to move to less flaming cover.

Also, why stop with weapons damaging cover? Add in weapons damaging a characters armour as well. Make the game feel a little more visceral if bolter rounds shred their armour with each impact. Weapons like a multi-melta would definitely need to be taken care of, and flashlights (lasguns) could be almost ignored by space marines in legion armour.

This is what I plan on doing, also editing falling damage for people landing onto slopes, lots of things that just make sense and add a little realism, as there is already a lot of death.

GlockwarrioR said:

Also, why stop with weapons damaging cover? Add in weapons damaging a characters armour as well. Make the game feel a little more visceral if bolter rounds shred their armour with each impact. Weapons like a multi-melta would definitely need to be taken care of, and flashlights (lasguns) could be almost ignored by space marines in legion armour.

This is what I plan on doing, also editing falling damage for people landing onto slopes, lots of things that just make sense and add a little realism, as there is already a lot of death.

:)

ThethatGuy said:

my rule has always been that for every amount of damage that equals the AP of the object reduces it by one, no mater the attack type. So if you hit an AP 4 door with 16 damage in one hit, the door is gone.

That was what I thought about doing, too.

What about damaging weapons? Might be a bit of topic, but wouldn't a melta-blast do some damage to whatever you hold in your hands?

What if your enemies actively target your weapon? Can this be done?