Ki and Magic

By Kerrahn, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around how some things work for both Ki and Magic, and wanted to see if anyone could help me.

First, with Ki, are the 'Ki Points' you get those granted by your characteristics (Strength, Dexterity etc)? That seems what was intended, but I wasn't exactly sure.

Also, if you spend these points for abilities (eg. levitate and flight), are they permanently spent? If so, is the only way to get more to level and spend DP? I couldn't really find the information I needed amidst the rules.

Finally, with Ki Techniques, the various costs related to characteristics: do you have to spend Ki points associated with that characteristic? For example, if 'Dexterity 3' was written, would you therefore need to spend 3 Ki points provided by your Dexterity pool to use that ability?

Next, magic.

It says you learn 1 spell per 2 Magic Level you have. I noticed under the 'books' that the spells had levels, and in one case had (in this order) a Level 2, a Free Access, and then a Level 6...

Does this mean at Magic Level 2 you learn the Level 2 spell, Magic Level 4 the Free Access spell, and Magic Level 6 the Level 6 spell?

Sorry if these seem really obvious questions, but the sections that detailed these things don't seem to me to be as clearly written as other sections. Maybe I've skipped parts, or hadn't read along far enough?

Thank you for your replies in advance.

I'm not really sure to understand what are your problems so I will try to explain everything :

First, with Ki, are the 'Ki Points' you get those granted by your characteristics (Strength, Dexterity etc)? That seems what was intended, but I wasn't exactly sure.

You'll get a pool of Ki points granted by your characteristics, and you can improve it by spending DPs (see class description, 1 Ki point = DP for Technicians). There are also Accumulation numbers in another column. The base is granted by your characteristics, then you can improve it by spending DP (1=10 for a technician).

Also, if you spend these points for abilities (eg. levitate and flight), are they permanently spent? If so, is the only way to get more to level and spend DP? I couldn't really find the information I needed amidst the rules.

These powers are bought by spending Martial Knowledge points. You need to spend the permanently to buy these powers or technics. The only way to get more MK is to level up (+50 for a Technician) or to get more Martial Arts (some of them give MK). At chargen, you can choose an advantage that gives you more MK (don't know the name in english).

Then, to use Levitate or Flight, it's said that you need to spend one Ki point / minute. So it's not permanent. I don't have the english book... this "1/min" is in the french description of Levitate.

Finally, with Ki Techniques, the various costs related to characteristics: do you have to spend Ki points associated with that characteristic? For example, if 'Dexterity 3' was written, would you therefore need to spend 3 Ki points provided by your Dexterity pool to use that ability?

Yes. If a technics needs to spend 2 DEX, 3 STR, it means that to use this technic, you'll need to accumulate and spend 2 DEX Ki points and 3 STR Ki points.

It says you learn 1 spell per 2 Magic Level you have. I noticed under the 'books' that the spells had levels, and in one case had (in this order) a Level 2, a Free Access, and then a Level 6...

Does this mean at Magic Level 2 you learn the Level 2 spell, Magic Level 4 the Free Access spell, and Magic Level 6 the Level 6 spell?

For example, if you have 10 in Magic Level, and you decide to spend these 10 points in the Fire path : you'll get the first 10/2=5 spells or, and it's the same, the spells until level 10. So, you will have spells level 2, free access 1-10, level 6, free access 1-10, level 10. So, you're right.

Sorry if these seem really obvious questions, but the sections that detailed these things don't seem to me to be as clearly written as other sections. Maybe I've skipped parts, or hadn't read along far enough?

You'll find more questions, more answers, more people and Anima Studio here . It can be easier as a lot of people already asked for a lot of things gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thank you for your replies in advance.

You're welcome gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thanks for your help, and the link. I've gone and registered there just in case I need more questions answered so thoroughly.

As for the Ki points spending thing where I brought up Levitate and Flight, I meant to base my question about them, I already knew you need MK to learn them.

But in the case of Levitate, Flight, and anything else similar, are those points spent to maintain the power (as in 1 minute per Ki point spent for those abilities), and to use Ki Techniques lost permanently?

Sorry, english isn't my first langage so when I'm not sure, I prefer re-explaining everything than giving a wrong answer to your question ^^

No, it's not permanent at all. When you want to fly (you've bought the power by spending MK permanently), you'll need to spend 1 of your Ki points (from any characteristic) per minute you want to fly. It's the same for technics : the cost is the price you need to pay each time you want to use the technic.

Look in the Ki chapter (sorry I can't give you a page number as I don't have the english book), there is a paragraph about Ki points recovery.

So, Ki points are a kind of pool, and you pump into it to get some powers (levitate, fly or technics). In case of technics, these points don't just go out of the pool to be spent, you need to accumulate them in order to use a technic. If you have 8 Ki points in DEX, 1 in Ki Accumulation DEX, and you want to use a technic worth 3 DEX, it means that you need to accumulate for 3 rounds, then use your technic and substract 3 points to your Ki points pool. After, you will recover your Ki points at the rate of 1 points for each characteristic / hour, so, in my example, your Ki pool will be full 3 hours later as you spend 3 Ki points.

If you spend 5 Ki DEX points to fly for 5 minutes, you'll need to wait for 5 hours to recover the 5 points. (but you don't need to accumulate, they just go out of your pool)

Ok ? gui%C3%B1o.gif Don't know if I'm clear ?

That's what I was after, thanks.

I must have missed the Ki Recovery section, I'll go back and look again, lol