Add-ons

By Erikos, in Runebound

In your opinion in which order should someone buy the add-ons both card and board expansions beginning fron the second edition?

There's no right or wrong way, though I'd personally recomend this:

1. Buy a challenge card expansion or two, to bulk out the challenge decks. This gives you less repetition. Fill the rest out later. I'd rate them in the following order from best to not-quite-as-good:

The Dark Forrest, Terrors of the Tomb, Shadows of Margath, Drakes and Dragonspawn, Beasts and Bandits, Traps and Terrors.

2. Buy a market expansion or two. Again, this gives you more variety and you can buy the rest later. My recomendations in order:

Artefacts and Allies, Weapons of Legend, Relics of Legend, Champions of Kellos, Walkers of the wild, Rituals and Runes.

3. Buy Island of Dread. It's awesome!

4. Buy Sands of Al-Kalim. It's awesome!

5. But some Adventure Varients. These are all good, I prefair Avatars of Kelnov, Sceptre of Kyros, but they're all good.

6. Class Decks. All at once or none at all. Ideally, these should have come as a boxed-set. Only usethese when you all know the game inside out.

Slev said:

There's no right or wrong way, though I'd personally recomend this:

1. Buy a challenge card expansion or two, to bulk out the challenge decks. This gives you less repetition. Fill the rest out later. I'd rate them in the following order from best to not-quite-as-good:

The Dark Forrest, Terrors of the Tomb, Shadows of Margath, Drakes and Dragonspawn, Beasts and Bandits, Traps and Terrors.

2. Buy a market expansion or two. Again, this gives you more variety and you can buy the rest later. My recomendations in order:

Artefacts and Allies, Weapons of Legend, Relics of Legend, Champions of Kellos, Walkers of the wild, Rituals and Runes.

3. Buy Island of Dread. It's awesome!

4. Buy Sands of Al-Kalim. It's awesome!

5. But some Adventure Varients. These are all good, I prefair Avatars of Kelnov, Sceptre of Kyros, but they're all good.

6. Class Decks. All at once or none at all. Ideally, these should have come as a boxed-set. Only usethese when you all know the game inside out.

i quote slev, Runebound rocks! but the core-box is a bit tight, after a while.

I've only paly with the island of dread, the Sands of Al-Kalim is good? i've read that implements a lot of new entry, but nothing in specific, some tips???

Thanks, keep flying and keep gaming

Murray

I'm interested in the Sands of Al-Kalim as it could give me this oriental feeling. Am I right to believe that this expansion will give me flying carpets, djinns, etc?

SoAK is very much a cross between Arabian Nights and Fortress of the Pearl/Quest for Tanelorn.

Take the good ideas from Midnight, and put them back into Runebound, plus lots of cool characterfull little touches.

In my experience, it plays a shade faster than the original game as wel.

My husband and I started out by buying more challenge cards the market cards. We eventually got class decks and the Isle of dread. I really would start out buying challenge cards, market/ally cards and then adventure variants. I love the fact that you can buy adventure variants for cheap and change the game completely.

I like SoAK, probably as much as IoD. My only complaint is that many of the quests that you have to go on seem a little too easy (such as visit a town and perform a market step). It would be nice to see a mini-expansion to SoAK that introduced some more involved quests. Otherwise a nice addition.

I also agree about the class decks. Hold off until the end. My friend and I have probably playd about 40 games and still haven't incorporated the class decks. It sounds like an interesting idea, but we're wondering if it tries to make the turn process somewhat more complicated. Sometimes we just have trouble keeping track of what our currrent ranged/melee/magic values are after factoring in all of our items, artifacts, weapons, etc. cool.gif

I pesonally have not purchased the class decks, but the key to this game system are the various adventure decks that change the object of the game. I would definately focus on those decks, then I would get the additional monsters to make more variety in the colored decks.

just my opinion

I haven't gotten the character expansions yet. But it sounds like it may not be beneficial to purchase them. I usually play with people who haven't played before and adding the character cards would make the game more complicated. So should I just stick with the other card decks?