Friends and Foes + Battlefields = Playable?!

By mangan, in The Lord of the Rings: The Board Game

So me and my roomies have been playing LotR for about the last 3 weeks now and have been addicted to it from the very start... Playing two or three times every day! cool.gif

As I am such a nice person, I bought the two expansions F+F and Battlefields as a surprise for them and we couldn't wait to try them.

We really like F+F, cause for once you don't just try to survive but can also fight some Foes personally.. Sweet payback! gui%C3%B1o.gif And Battlefields has its interesting parts aswell! It's nice finally seeing Aragorn, Gandalf,etc. having more important roles in the whole game...

But we kinda grow more and more desperate because you can't seem to win with those two expansions combined!!!

We keep telling eachother we might just need to go on trying... but it's really frustrating. The only way you can win (which we did few times) is buy killing all the Foes.. often long before reaching Mordor. Which is on one side very releaving after exhausting hours of struggling with Sauron.. but it is also not as satisfying as actually destroying the ring! We just don't never seem to be only CLOSE to having a chance reaching let alone winning Mordor!

Does anyone know more about this problem then we do?! Or can help in any way?!

*than, sorry gui%C3%B1o.gif

I have beaten F&F + BF combo, 3 hobbits, Sauron at 15. Looking over my logs, it was the second try of that mix. Skipped Helm's Deep and Shelob's Lair as normal when using F&F. Speed through Moria and Isengard seems to have been key (5 and 4 tiles drawn only), in fact my general approach to the scenarios is "main activity line rush".

www.boardgamegeek.com/play/details/2800098

Dam said:

I have beaten F&F + BF combo, 3 hobbits, Sauron at 15. Looking over my logs, it was the second try of that mix. Skipped Helm's Deep and Shelob's Lair as normal when using F&F. Speed through Moria and Isengard seems to have been key (5 and 4 tiles drawn only), in fact my general approach to the scenarios is "main activity line rush".

www.boardgamegeek.com/play/details/2800098

Ah alright, we haven't tried it with skipping adventures yet! Guess we gotta get away from the idealstic approach of struggling ourselves through each of the adventures, just because that is how the story is. It's probably not feasible like that...

Thanks a lot for the tips!!! happy.gif

Helm's Deep for me is #1 scenario to skip (with F&F) or run through ASAP (without F&F), even taking almost full corruption hits for missing Life tokens. Its Event track has only bad Events (vs Shelob's Lair that nets you Gollum) and ideally I'm out of there before Event 1 takes place. Bad thing about skipping/rushing HD is that you miss out on Theoden + Shadowfax, who are both very useful in Mordor (IIRC they are double Travelling both, white + grey to boot). What I recall of the HD Battle Board and its Enemies, it isn't very nice either (though none of them are).

Dam said:

Helm's Deep for me is #1 scenario to skip (with F&F) or run through ASAP (without F&F), even taking almost full corruption hits for missing Life tokens. Its Event track has only bad Events (vs Shelob's Lair that nets you Gollum) and ideally I'm out of there before Event 1 takes place. Bad thing about skipping/rushing HD is that you miss out on Theoden + Shadowfax, who are both very useful in Mordor (IIRC they are double Travelling both, white + grey to boot). What I recall of the HD Battle Board and its Enemies, it isn't very nice either (though none of them are).

Thanks for the great help! Can't wait to try it again and see how it goes!