Ventura vs. Warrior Knights vs. Runewars vs. Nexus Ops

By mjlogan0114, in Ventura

If you could only purchase one of these games, money wasn't a deciding factor, and all themes were interesting to you; which of these games would you buy? The only consideration would be that most plays would be two player.

Ventura: This game appeals to me, but the buzz has been pretty quiet.

Warrior Knights: I have read that the two player variant is lacking in playability. There also seems to be more "stuff" off the board than on the board.

Runewars: I have been deliberating on this game for a long time. Is there a war game behind all the plastic?

Nexus Ops: I am interested in the "build a hex map as you go" mechanic, like Ventura. Are these two games even close to being mechanically similar?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I can't truely answer this as I've only played Warrior Knights...however, my thoughts on Ventura are that it has a great many things going for it. It has great components - I love the build a map aspect - the building and maintaining of armies is a key element - it's mix of cards here brings in those players who like the card mechanic (although we play with the hidden army varient) and it plays very well with 2, 3 and 4 players.

To me, it feels like an advanced chess game. Everything has a cost and cause/effect. It can be supremely challenging to take the game on like you would chess, however, it you are playing against a super agressive player (like my son...). If you don't know your oppenants play style, you can get damaged pretty bad early on. If you DO konw your opp (and especially if they take it a little slower), the game can be a complete joy. The strategy behind the game is deep and very satisfying.