Curious about this game!

By Peacekeeper_b, in Grimm RPG

What system does it use? Is it more WFRP feel to it or Brother's Grimm?

Wellcome to the form. I am extremely happy that you find interest in this fantastic game system. As for answears:

1. Grimm uses an original and specifically(And quite masterfully, in my opinion) tailored game system, very east to learn and very quick to play. The system almost completely takes randomness away from challanges, and so forces the characters to rely on teamwork, cunning and sacrafice of their reserves of willpower and courage to win. Just like in the old tales.

2. Grimm obviously resembles the original brother's tales... But it is indeed very dark. The Grimmlands are not a fun place to live at at all. In this aspect, it is kind of like WFRP.

Any other way i can help you? Need more info? Something?

Hmm, that does sound interesting. I'm somewhat hesitant to learn another system though.

Oh, you really shold not worry too much. The Grimm RPG system is extremely abstract and simple. You can almost literally teach the whole mechanical system to someone in a 60 second speech(As I did many times), and it is so intuitive you will likely never forget it.

Let your imagination go wild. This game is awsome, and definetly is worth buying.

I couldn't seem to find any sample pages of this book. My usual method is to download them and see if I like em, but I was hoping I could just see a couple sample pages. Did I miss 'em?

In fact, I belive you did. There are quite a few in the site's "support" page.

*sigh* Wow... I'm getting old. *gets out the cane and starts yelling at kids to get off his lawn* Thanks.

I too am a bit interested in this-but I haven't seen it at my local gaming store

Try ordering it over the internet if you have the means.

Belive me, it's more then worth it.

Yes this game is very much worth having in your collection. I love how complete it is all on its own. It would be nice to see more support for it but honestly it really doesn't need it. And I agree with what The Alchemist has already stated. It really is not that hard of a system to learn and once you grasp it you will love how it befits the setting rather well. So if you can get your hands on it then I suggest you pick it up!

I'm a little curious myself. What is this game suppose to be about? From what little I know it sounds like the McGee's Alice video game. Could you give a synopsis of the game that would help establish the plot and goals?

It is a game of dark fantasy. It is a game of dreams and nightmares. It is a game that, like the folk tales it is based on, might look innocent and childish in the beginning, but which hides extremely deep and mature secrets in it's deapths.

It is a game about kids. Normal kids, from the real world. A game about a bully, or a nerd, or the popular girl. Kids like all others... Who find thamselves drawn into the dark magic of Grimm.

It is a game about a world called the Grimmlands, where all legends and myths, specifaclly the tales of the famous brothers(Who were rather dark to begin with), exist... As dark, twisted and mad reflections of thamselves. It is a world where Humpty Dumpty fall and broke and became rotten, and now rules a kingdom of madness and stench. A world were The Ugly Duckling is a sadist who murdered his own brothers and sister. A game where Henzel and Gretel are cannibalistic slaves to a cursed oven.

It is a game where normal kids, drawn into twisted fairytales, attempt to find a way home. This doorway is known only as "Babylon".

How many miles till you reach it?

You and your friends will determain.

The Alchemist said:

Oh, you really shold not worry too much. The Grimm RPG system is extremely abstract and simple. You can almost literally teach the whole mechanical system to someone in a 60 second speech(As I did many times), and it is so intuitive you will likely never forget it.

Let your imagination go wild. This game is awsome, and definetly is worth buying.

I agree, the game is great, definitely worth buying. Probably one of the best RPGs I've purchased in the last few years (and if you knew me, you would know what a compliment that was, I probably buy 80% of RPGs released).

I also agree that the core mechanic is super simple and easy to learn and teach...but, that's a bit misleading. While the core (die rolling) mechanic is simple, there is a lot of meat to the system. It was originally a D20 game, and a lot of the complexities are inherited into the new game. Though they have different names, you will find Feats and Class abilities that are every bit as detailed and “complex” as D20s. There are also similar modifiers and such to the core system as there are to the D20 system. Overall it isn’t as complex, but, if you are the GM and you want a good grasp of the rules, you aren’t going to be up and playing in a half hour, you will have to give the rule book a good reading, and have a reasonable ability to gronk rules. It’s not rules light, but rules medium leaning a bit to the heavy side.

If your new to role-playing then I would agree that the rules can look a bit daunting at first. However if you have any lengthy experience with role-playing or different systems it shouldn't take long at all to get up and running. Just how I see it.

Hi, I'm sure lots have people have already said, but the Fables comics and graphic novels seem like great source material. Also, and a bit less obvious, the Night Watch novels have some good dark folklore elements.

Have just ordered my copy of Grimm from Amazon, and am very excited!

Nightlight said:

Hi, I'm sure lots have people have already said, but the Fables comics and graphic novels seem like great source material. Also, and a bit less obvious, the Night Watch novels have some good dark folklore elements.

Have just ordered my copy of Grimm from Amazon, and am very excited!

Good to hear! You will have to let us know what you think and about your session when you get it underway.

Hey guys. New to the site. quick question for any of you that can help out. Are they supporting this game with any new books or adventures?

No.

But it's easy to make your own rules and tales.

It appears that it would be. I just ordered my copy and was looking for other Grimm books and noticed that i couldn't find any.

This is because there are not.