Flags and Banners

By Darkmittens, in Dark Heresy House Rules

So my players really like to wave banners, flags, headless bodies they impale on thier witch lances, really anything they can lift above thier heads and wave triumphantly, and i really want to have it do something, as of now i have just had it make the nps's around them cheer, but i really want to try adding something there,

any suggestions?? any rules that might help??

• Flag, Banner etc. +10 Bonus to saves vs. fear effects for allies that can see the flag; +5 bonus to command checks by the banner bearer and his commander.
  • Large humanoid body parts: +10 Bonus to saves vs. fear effects for allies that can see the flag; Counts as having the fear (1) trait (or +1 if he already has fear trait). 1D4 Corruption and 1 insanity for the banner bearer, 1 corruption for everyone using the bonus

thanks that's a good rule set, do you think the quality of banner or type should matter, I feel almost like the equilisiachy standard should provide frenzy or something...or is that making things too complex...

Our houserule for obvious displays like that, is to confer a +2d5 targets bonus on interaction tests, and in case of faction symbols, +10 to Fellowship for interaction tests with the relevant faction.

Basically, it's a theatrics/showmanship bonus, and the modifiers were taken from the Air of Authority and Good Reputation talents. It has been perfectly adequate so far, despite being the product of 5 minutes of thinking & manic paging through the core rules during a cigarette break, in one of our first sessions.

The Blood of Martyrs book contains a pile of symbols & relics, from the common to the near-mythical, with the kind of serious gameplay effrects you seem to be looking for. In my opinion, letting players gain serious combat advantages from what's really no more than basic intimidation tactics, theatrics & good showmanship, is a very slippery slope in a game like DH. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't play the game however you please, just that it's easy to turn the party into the 40K version of superheroes, and very hard to turn them back into ordinary agents of the Inquisition again.

As for item ideas, I'd suggest taking a good look at the 2nd edition 40K & 3rd edition WFB wargear cards, and using DHs talents as the baseline for how they should work and how powerful they should be.

ah, but my players use banners in combat situations, never in interactions, they wave them as an attemp to rally troops, and they would rather not take an action to speak with these troops as they are ussually rather far away, should i make them take a command test? this system sounds good but only if used in the right setting..or am i wrong, please elaborate.