FFG please throw us a bone

By john_nld, in Star Wars: The Card Game

I was hoping that FFG was holding the game back to release at the same time as the 3D movie...in 12 days. Oh well, better luck next time.

DrNate said:

I was hoping that FFG was holding the game back to release at the same time as the 3D movie...in 12 days. Oh well, better luck next time.

Although... although! Maybe they plan to release the game in time for A New Hope 3D. That'd make more sense after all, since the game is set during the Galactic Civil War.

Budgernaut said:

After all, the box says it is designed by Nate French and Corey Koneczka. I don't know the second guy, but the first guy must have his hands full as the sole designer of LotR. I bet it's just too much for him to be involved in both games.

The other guy is responsible for Runewars, Rune Age, and Blood Bowl: Team Manager, that I know of. So he's pretty experienced with card games, as well, and may be busy answering the clamour for a Rune Age expansion (though I doubt it!)

I think the hiring of a LCG designer around the same time the schedule was pushed back is highly suspicious, and would probably faint with disbelief if I discovered the situations had nothing to do with one another. I just wish they'd say what went so wrong that they had to hire someone else to take on/over the work. I mean, it was all going so well, it seemed!

The other guys is also the guy who made Battlestar Galactica which, while not an LCG, is pretty darned great. So I feel good about that , anyway...

My, he has been a busy bee! Rune Age is actually what got me into the whole LCG thing, so I feel really good about him being on board for this game.

MarthWMaster said:

DrNate said:

Although... although! Maybe they plan to release the game in time for A New Hope 3D. That'd make more sense after all, since the game is set during the Galactic Civil War.

That would be in 3 years time then. I really FFG'ing hope not.

Oh? I had no idea. I just assumed the theatrical releases would be a few months apart, not a year apart for each. Shows how closely I'm following that. :P

Not to derail the thread, but we might not get the other films at all - the producer has said they're gonna see how this one does before committing to the expense of converting the other ones. I think they're betting on the wrong horse, myself. lengua.gif

But anyway, yes, FFG... updates!

I. J. Thompson said:

Not to derail the thread, but we might not get the other films at all - the producer has said they're gonna see how this one does before committing to the expense of converting the other ones. I think they're betting on the wrong horse, myself. lengua.gif

starwars has been on "the wrong horse" for over 20 years now. Even Jedi was a sign of things to come.. It ghas been revealed that star wars and Empires were amazing films DESPITE lucus being involved.

booored said:

I. J. Thompson said:

starwars has been on "the wrong horse" for over 20 years now. Even Jedi was a sign of things to come.. It ghas been revealed that star wars and Empires were amazing films DESPITE lucus being involved.

Hey now! Old George may not be the best movie maker or script writer, but I don't think he really deserves that kind of bashing. The movies were HIS ideas after all. Star Wars is like a ball and Lucas is like an incline on what would otherwise be a completely horizontal, frictionless surface. Without the incline, the ball would never move, but once it started moving, you're right, his influence wasn't exactly needed and indeed has messed up the timeline horribly. (Think Mandalorians). But I still think he should get respect for what he started.

And to make a vain attempt to keep things on topic: I'm really anxious to see how this game ends up being different from what was demoed, and when I say anxious, I mean anxious. Most people use that word to mean excited, but it has a distinct connotation of worry that most people forget when they employ that word in their speech. I however, truly am anxious because I'm highly anticipating the release while remaining concerned over how the final product will actually turn out. An UPDATE or two would really help me feel more hopeful for the game-that-will-never-be-released. (I know, some games have taken even longer so I shouldn't be complaining but I am.)

Anxious is how I'm feeling, too. Since September, when I was actually really worried how this would turn out. To some extent it has abated, though, but it would be nice to see something .

I pointed this out on another thread, but it's relevant here, too. I re-read the description of the game after realizing that The Force is not mentioned anywhere in it. Also, the gameplay demos I read about didn't mention use of Force as being a component of the game. I'm wondering if they realized this (maybe after bringing in a new set of eyes?) and have had to go back to the core concepts to make this change.

herozeromes said:

I pointed this out on another thread, but it's relevant here, too. I re-read the description of the game after realizing that The Force is not mentioned anywhere in it. Also, the gameplay demos I read about didn't mention use of Force as being a component of the game. I'm wondering if they realized this (maybe after bringing in a new set of eyes?) and have had to go back to the core concepts to make this change.

Wow. I don't know why I didn't see that. Maybe because I'm more into bounty hunters and smugglers and have just started GMing a starfighter campaign for Saga Edition RPG. You bring up a very good point because the Force is such an iconic part of Star Wars. My only counter to that argument is that Luke is pretty much the last Jedi during this era so while the Force is around everyone, he's the only Force User. But a solid Force system would be important if they plan to go into other eras.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't notice it before. It just occurred to me when I was thinking about things that are necessary for a Final Fantasy game to be a Final Fantasy game, and I remembered that Final Fantasy games always had references to Star Wars which got me thinking about what makes Star Wars STAR WARS and the rest is history :)

My desperation for this game has just about reached paranoia level. I've been looking at the announce-update-release patterns of other games on FFG's website and haven't seen a single game with an extended period of silence as long as for the Star Wars games (6 months for the card game, 7 months for X-wing). I think somebody mentioned before that it might have something to do with how Lucasfilm wants announcements handled and I'm definitely starting to think that must be it. I mean, how do you have two games ready for demo play at a convention and not have updates ready to post on your website?

To be fair, the fact that they went back into the development stage on SW:TCG means we should start counting from February instead of August for this game.

For me, since the backtracking-announcement, this game Doesn't Exist until I hear something official again.

"So why are you on the forum", you ask? Let me explain:

It is clear that, considering the difficulties in developing - LOOK! FISH TRACKS!

[runs away]

Fish tracks? Where?

lol good one. happy.gif

I felt that way for a while, but preordering it has really heightened my anticipation for news more than I would have guessed.

I will never pre order FFG stuff again. I'm from europe and it seems that all fun stuff is constrained to the US only. I wanted to play LotR LCG but allas it arrived in the netherlands only at the reprint after initial release. When it finally got here the ship had sailed and expansions were available etc. I did not want to fall in the trap of buying LotR and SW since that was up for release shortly after…..as we know now I could easily jump onto the LotR wagon.

X-wing will go the same way I fear. Also the gamestore keepers are reluctant to introduce this mini game as it flopped dramatically for Wizards.

Now I see Netrunner coming up in the same period of time. What the heck!!!!!!! You're killing me Morris. Netrunner was great and if it is copied from the old play it will be great again. Whereas SW still has to prove itself. Including Force use.

Really I beg once more FFG please give us something. anything at all. Just a word we have finished the framework of the rules or the new card layouts will be like this no teasers needed on titles, artwork etc.

PLEASE…PLEASE…PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

herozeromes said:

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't notice it before. It just occurred to me when I was thinking about things that are necessary for a Final Fantasy game to be a Final Fantasy game,

For a game to be Final Fantasy, it needs three things:
1) Memorable characters
2) Strong tactical combat
3) An epic soundtrack

The Final Fantasy TCG has only one of these things, and IMO it's not enough to justify playing it, yet one of my friends insists upon it. >_<

Final Fantasy, Fantasy Flight, . . . I don't know about you guys but there are just too many 'F's. Every time I go to buy card sleeves at my game shop they ask what I'm going to sleeve and I almost always say, "Final Fa -- I mean, Fantasy Flight LCGs." It's consistently embarrassing.

Budgernaut said:

Final Fantasy, Fantasy Flight, . . . I don't know about you guys but there are just too many 'F's. Every time I go to buy card sleeves at my game shop they ask what I'm going to sleeve and I almost always say, "Final Fa -- I mean, Fantasy Flight LCGs." It's consistently embarrassing.

I know what you need, then: Final Fantasy card sleeves. They come in packs of 60, not 50, but they should work well enough (and perfect for AGoT).