Renly's faction... Again. ARRGH! (Spoilers)

By Spike1382, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Maybe this is nit picky, but why did they do it again?!? I get the ccg, there is no Tyrell faction. They are in this game. Renly is the king they are backing. He dies, they align with another house becasue they have no claimant to the throne. I could complain about other characters, but at least they are on the same sides if at different times. Without Renly leading them the Tyrells don't fight against all the other houses. They sit out or marry their daughter to someone and back them. *Foams at mouth and descends into incoherent madness*

*Gains moment of lucidity* Oh, and the show will explain all this next season and has already made it pretty clear this is going to happen so they only people that will be confused are people who haven't read the books or watched the show AND don't have anyone at the table that can explain it. You know, all those times when six people get together to play a game based on a best selling book series with a popular televisions series curretly airing and no one knows what the heck it is about. ARRGH, GARBLE, GRAGH!

Have you read Dance with Dragons- specifically the epilogue?

don't think Kevan Lannister would regard the Tyrrells as just another loyal part of the Lannister faction.

Fair point, but by that time we'd need a whole other scenario to play. Which I would be down for. But if Renly is alive he and and his bro aren't going to be toasting to each other's health while Renly helps Stannis try to claim the throne.

Repeat this to yourself:

"The boardgame is not supposed to follow the books."

Now again.

"The boardgame is not supposed to follow the books."

There, feel better?

If you really want everything to follow the books, go read the books again. The boardgame is meant to be an abstract representation of the kind of political intrigue and military maneuvering that a ruler of a house of Westeros would have to deal with.

They clearly went with formal house allegiance this time. Florent is Tyrell, Brienna is Baratheon, there's no Joeffrey to muddle the waters between Baratheons and Lannisters. The only "odd one" is Blackfish (but Blackfish means "odd one").
But yeah, It would be nice to have the War of the Five Kings house decks.

The worst part is not the house allegiance of Renly. He's still a Baratheon, after all. Yes, it would make much more sense to have him in the Tyrell deck. But what's really bad is the card's art. That background with the flaming heart banner... that was what made me rage.