Question between "During this round" and "During the next round" in Event card?

By cchopman, in Rune Age

When we played the Runewar Scenarios, we confused "During this round" with "During the next round" in some instant Event cards, such as:

Rally Forces : When a player gains units during this round , he may place those cards into his hand (instead of his discard pile).

Blood Fury : Immediately wound all units that are played in combat during the next round .

Restless Warriors : During the next round , deal 4 damage to each player’s Home Realm at the end of his turn unless he won at least 1 siege as the attacker.

A Time for War: When a player attacks a Home Realm during this round , add 2 to his total combat strength.

What is the timing difference between "During this round" and "Durng the next round"?

Thanks for reply... happy.gif

cchopman said:

When we played the Runewar Scenarios, we confused "During this round" with "During the next round" in some instant Event cards, such as:

Rally Forces : When a player gains units during this round , he may place those cards into his hand (instead of his discard pile).

Blood Fury : Immediately wound all units that are played in combat during the next round .

Restless Warriors : During the next round , deal 4 damage to each player’s Home Realm at the end of his turn unless he won at least 1 siege as the attacker.

A Time for War: When a player attacks a Home Realm during this round , add 2 to his total combat strength.

What is the timing difference between "During this round" and "Durng the next round"?

Thanks for reply... happy.gif

Good catch cchopman. Honestly, I never noticed that before and I played all those Event cards as if they were "During this round" cards.

No one can solve this question?

This should be in FAQ then.

Considering that the event phase is at the end of a round, I think they should all say "During the next round." "This round" just doesn't make sense when you consider that everyone has already taken their turns.

In the rule book says: "After each player has taken his turn for the round, the first player draws the top card from the Event deck…"

So I think that the event phase is considered the first part of the round and the back of the rulebook has a mistake.

I prefer to think that the back of the rulebook has a mistake than a lot of cards has a mistake…

If some cards says "during this round" and other says: "during the next round" will be to diferentiate them dont you think so?

It's still ambiguous because "After each player has taken his turn for the round" could imply that the round is over, or it could imply that all players are finished taking turns and the event phase is beginning before the new round. I'm inclined to believe the cards are just slopily written.

Seriously? There are a few cards that put "during the next turn" … more than an oversight would seem a serious error. I think that if the cards says that, it should be correct so it would be absurd to use them at the same time.

Just got an official response:

--

Hello Budgernaut,

Your interpretation is correct. In the base game, any Event cards for the Runewars scenario with the text "during this round" should be treated as having the text "during the next round."

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Associate Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
[email protected]

--

Fortunately, there are only two cards that say "during this round": Rally Forces and A Time For War.

IMHO the best idea for second expansion to Rune Age after this one, could be a "scenario pack" with for example 6 new scenarios (about 250 cards total). Nice idea can be also 4 news scenarios and 1, maybe 2 new tactic/spell card for each race to buy it from barracks or some special bouilding played as stronghold but with higher cost and some ability working like runes or rewards ;-)

thank you very much!