Hoss' Eye of Akhenaton

By Carlos Castaneda, in Tannhauser

This Hoss' object increases by 1 the CP cost to activate command abilities for all opposing forces.

I tryed this object yesterday, and I think it's very powerfull... too powerfull. Reich wins always when Hoss has his command pack.

Did anybody try it?

I think it wolud be better if the effect of this object lasted just a turn: at the beginning of turn the player declare Eye of Akhenaton activity so during the same turn the effect is applied. In this way it colud be a disposable hardware.

I've used it, but i don't think it's too powerful because it only last as long as Hoss is alive, and the last time I fielded Hoss, Hoax killed him on turn two.

If you ever in a situatuation where your up against a character you feel is too powerful, often you oppenent will feel the same way and leave the character more vunerable than they should, and a swift supprise attack on turn two will often take them out. But even if that's not the case a concentrated attack by multiple heroes on a single target will usually bring down anyone in one turn.

My gaming group thinks it's way too powerful in a game mode where you get 3 CP per turn, that's for sure. It essentially makes you unable to call in any reserve troopers, and instead of getting 3 special actions in that turn, you get 1. Since the first costs 2, you can't do anything with that leftover 1 point.

So, we have house ruled it where it only works once in a turn, so the first action costs 2 points, but then you can do a second one with the last point. Prevents it from pretty much ruining the other team.

Really? Hoss can die? I wasn`t aware of that... In my world he always stands in a circle where he can change paths in 1 movement, well he only need that 1 movement to invalidate an attack anyway... So, with a range of 9 and immune to most attacks (granades can hit him) im pretty sure he`s powerful any combination you want. Specially command! =)

Hoss is clearly better at dodging grenades than I thought. The one thing I am learning as I play the game more is that you do need to plan ahead. Objective games in particular, lend themselves to a little advance planning.

Eh its strong for sure- but there are ways of dealing with it- I don't think it's strong enough to take- again we use pack items as bonus tokens.

The Crown in the combat pack has been AWESOME, and Reichdoktor is my choice from the command pack. Love those items for Hoss.

diversionArchitect said:

Eh its strong for sure- but there are ways of dealing with it-

How do you deal with it if it ends up being 1x1? Who can attack him at distance 9 or who can attack him at all since you only have 1 figurine to hit him and when he`s out of your path, your attack is going to be invalidated every turn? How do you deal with him 1x1? Btw, im saying this, because whats wrong with that girl from shogunate that can do the same up to 3 squares?!?!

vengeance000 said:

My gaming group thinks it's way too powerful in a game mode where you get 3 CP per turn, that's for sure. It essentially makes you unable to call in any reserve troopers, and instead of getting 3 special actions in that turn, you get 1. Since the first costs 2, you can't do anything with that leftover 1 point.

So, we have house ruled it where it only works once in a turn, so the first action costs 2 points, but then you can do a second one with the last point. Prevents it from pretty much ruining the other team.

Otar said:

Really? Hoss can die? I wasn`t aware of that... In my world he always stands in a circle where he can change paths in 1 movement, well he only need that 1 movement to invalidate an attack anyway... So, with a range of 9 and immune to most attacks (granades can hit him) im pretty sure he`s powerful any combination you want. Specially command! =)

It's just what I think.

Thank everybody for your opinions.

Horsa said:

Hoss is clearly better at dodging grenades than I thought. The one thing I am learning as I play the game more is that you do need to plan ahead. Objective games in particular, lend themselves to a little advance planning.

I do not think that Hoss can dodge grenades with Prescience. The text reads: "... when you are declared the target of an attack ... " (Hoss Booklet, p. 2, Prescience rule text=

As grenades to not target chars but circles, Hoss will not be targeted, and Prescience should not be activated because the requirement is not met. But maybe my interpretation is wrong here. Other opinions?

Otar said:

diversionArchitect said:

How do you deal with it if it ends up being 1x1? Who can attack him at distance 9 or who can attack him at all since you only have 1 figurine to hit him and when he`s out of your path, your attack is going to be invalidated every turn? How do you deal with him 1x1? Btw, im saying this, because whats wrong with that girl from shogunate that can do the same up to 3 squares?!?!

Hoss seems to be quite invulnerable to melee attacks, then? You are right, that´s tough!

Katsuyori said:

Horsa said:

I do not think that Hoss can dodge grenades with Prescience. The text reads: "... when you are declared the target of an attack ... " (Hoss Booklet, p. 2, Prescience rule text=

As grenades to not target chars but circles, Hoss will not be targeted, and Prescience should not be activated because the requirement is not met. But maybe my interpretation is wrong here. Other opinions?

By the way, I found the Eye of Akhenaton quite powerful. I still do not have an opinion if it is really overpowered. It will take some more games trying (or suffering from) it. But is useful indeed.

Otar said:

diversionArchitect said:

Eh its strong for sure- but there are ways of dealing with it-

I was referring to the Eye of Akhenation- Prescience is BADASS- but if you left Hoss for last, you're probably setting yourself for what you're describing. He would usually be the first one I go after, unless Heizinger is in play.

Katsuyori said:

As grenades to not target chars but circles, Hoss will not be targeted, and Prescience should not be activated because the requirement is not met.

I agree to Katsuyori: grenade is one of the few hopes to hit Hoss (another is Ramirez' Mark 19 mod A1: very very useful against Hoss).

If Hoss can keep to the corners where he can move out of LOS, then it is obviously more difficult to kill him if you only have LOS attack abilities. His attack range of 9 is also rather useful since it does not require LOS and not effected by smoke. Put him with Herman who can give him an additional attack dice and he certainly seems the main threat.

It seems that you can even negate a model on overwatch as if the overwatch model declares an attack, Hoss can move one circle.

However, there are not too many locations on the map that, if you move adjacent, a model can be moved one hex and lose LOS. It would seem you need to trap this model such that he cannot move out of LOS from at least one of your figures. Either way though, it is definitely a challenge. Grenades certainly would be the easiest solution.

Carlos Castaneda said:

Katsuyori said:

As grenades to not target chars but circles, Hoss will not be targeted, and Prescience should not be activated because the requirement is not met.

I agree to Katsuyori: grenade is one of the few hopes to hit Hoss (another is Ramirez' Mark 19 mod A1: very very useful against Hoss).

I also agree: Prescience can't be used to dodge grenades. But Prescience CAN be used to dodge attacks with the Mark 19 mod A1 if you target the circle Hoss is standing in. It was recently ruled that you target the character if you attack that way. But of corse you can target a circle adjacent to Hoss to damage him. However, it's difficult to kill Hoss, especially early in the game. Whenever I played Hoss and lost, he was the last to fall, normally being cornered by two or three enemies.

On topic again: I also think that the Eye of Akhenaton is quite powerful, but not overpowered. Limiting it to one-time use would make it quite worthless.

??! said:

On topic again: I also think that the Eye of Akhenaton is quite powerful, but not overpowered. Limiting it to one-time use would make it quite worthless.

+ 1 on that