Bolo Grenades and the Boomshield

By okorz001, in Gears of War: The Board Game

The Boomshield card states that a player may only attack with weapons that have "Pistol" in their name. Can the player still use Bolo Grenades? At face value, its a silly question because it seems like the answer is obviously no, however there are a couple exceptions to other rules concerning Bolo Grenades.

Good question. I think it should be allowed to throw grenades while wielding a boomshield. In most concerns, grenades seem to be considered as a special category of weapon and as an exception case in this boardgame – and after all, you don't need both hands to throw a grenade. I think I would allow it to use bolo grenades while carrying a boomshield. But that's a question the game designer should be asked. I hope the upcoming FAQ will address this question.

I haven't found enough Bolos in the game to bother with Boomshield even if you can throw grenades while carrying it. At most, barring Emergence, you get maybe 3-4 Bolos (2 COGs start with 2 and map might have two grenade ? areas). Snub Pistol just doesn't cut it, not enough to make the +2 defense worthwhile, you'll probably get attacked more since your own attacking prowess is diminished while carrying the Boomshield.

boomshield with the gorgan or boltok isnt so bad though I hate the snub although I do see its power I normally save at least one ammo on my lancer or just run around with the chainsaw

Graf said:

Good question. I think it should be allowed to throw grenades while wielding a boomshield. In most concerns, grenades seem to be considered as a special category of weapon and as an exception case in this boardgame – and after all, you don't need both hands to throw a grenade. I think I would allow it to use bolo grenades while carrying a boomshield. But that's a question the game designer should be asked. I hope the upcoming FAQ will address this question.

No need to wait for next FAQ, as it is in the current one:

Q: Can a player use “Bolo Grenades” while wielding the
“Boomshield”?
A: No.

Angus Lee said:

Graf said:

No need to wait for next FAQ, as it is in the current one:

Q: Can a player use “Bolo Grenades” while wielding the
“Boomshield”?
A: No.

I need ONE HAND to use a pistol. I need ONE HAND to use a bolo granade. (?!)

neu.descolado said:

I need ONE HAND to use a pistol. I need ONE HAND to use a bolo granade. (?!)

Apparently COGs Olympian "hammer throw" their bolo grenades at a max range of 2. lengua.gif

I don't remember how Gears 2 worked and if you can use both boomshield and bolo grenades together, but my assumption is it is too hard to throw a bolo while wielding a boomshield, as your dealing with a big, heavy sheet of metal that could obstruct the throw.