ACT 1 - chapters 1 and 2

By samruiz123, in Gears of War: The Board Game

I just wanted to expand on the cel phone idea...basically, load the jpeg picture to your phone (if you have a 3g or smartphone is better, specially touch screen) and then open the picture and zoom into the first top card face, then scroll through the file going fro one card pic to another until you have completed the mission! this will save you the hassle to print these, glue them, etc etc. but if you want to do it that way, then go for it! anyways, hope i get feedbacks on this...thanks!

OH BY THE WAY...if you print these....do it on LETTER SIZED paper 8.5in x 11in...100% scale.

First of all - nice work.

That being said - some ramblings from my side:

• Stage 1 of Mission 1 says ' Cannot not explore level 2'.
  • Characters in Mission 2: Two cards per turn seems OP to say the least. On the other hand having no special on Carmine just seems a bit poor. Unless you have that one player that you want to punish, I can't imagine people rushing to play a dumbed down character...

Thanks for the info...I will change the 'Cannot not'....and repost.

in regards to carmine, I figured people might not want to use him because of no special ability..but since I am trying to 'mimic' the game, you will notice that carmine is really just a filler player in game 1...I guess he doesnt become as important until game 3 i think? (i have not played either 2 or 3 yet) and I heard he dies again on game 2....so with that said....that is why i made him with no abilities. He will only be playing missions 1, 2 and 3 until he is KIA.

In regards to 2 order cards for kim...well, since he is at that point the comanding officer, I figured he should be able to give orders more than the rest..I was thinking specially about the TEAMWORK card..because that way he can use this card to 'give an order' to another COG and he still be able to performe one himself. Also since he is leading the team, he can do attacks and move and then use move cards like ROADIE RUN to get the team to following inmedatelly. Do you know what I mean?. However, using 2 cards might not prove to be all that good every turn! remember these cards are your life so using 2 everytime might be risky.....i guess when the time is right 2 should be used.

ok.....if you have an idea though on what type of ability I can give carmine, by all means let me know! OR...any better idea for Lt. Kim?

have a nice day!

ALRIGHT...I REPOSTED THE FILE.....the 'cannot not' mistake has been corrected!

samruiz123 said:

well, since he is at that point the comanding officer, I figured he should be able to give orders more than the rest..

Why not give him the ability to give his order cards to another COG (who is not bleeding out) or to swap one order card with another COG? This will feel more like a commander.

I like the idea to swap an order card to someone else! excellent..thanks!

Love your project. Cant wait to get more custom made scenarios. Hope you will continue this project. I especially like, that you provide us with printable mission cards with amazing graphics! :)

My proposal for carmines ability:

"Can create one pistol ammo token at the end of his turn. Instead he can drop up to X pistol ammo tokens (only usable with pistol weapons), where X is the number of his actual pistol ammo tokens."

I think it should be also fun for a player to play carmine (with a unique ability). I think the filler/weaker theme is fulfilled regarding the heavy usage of pistol weapons, while he can also support other characters with pistol ammunition (which allows advanced decision making and player interaction).

Thaks for your input...and glad to hear you enjoyed these cards! I do plan to continue making all missions....I am almost done FISH IN A TANK...for which I am makkng a new board for it, double sided (to include on the other side room for mission 4 where the troikas are....hey by the way...did you check out the rules I made for AMMO TOKENS and for KRILL?...check them out...let me know how they play out for you.

On another note, forgive me but i do not undestand quite well your suggestion:

" Can create one pistol ammo token at the end of his turn . Instead he can drop up to X pistol ammo tokens (only usable with pistol weapons), where X is the number of his actual pistol ammo tokens."

if you could kindly elaborate on it...i guess the word 'create' is the one that i don't get mixed in with the rest of the sentence...how does he create it? do you mean he picks one up? thanks for your response..

HOWEVER...i had been thinking about giving something to carmine an ability...so I made it simple...how about: CARMINE GETS +1 DEFENCE DIE ALWAYS. not too bad eh!...easy enough and that would make him a tougher cookie to kill! hehehe....my son's explanation for this (which actually it was his idea) is that be gets +1 defense because he wears a helmet!

anyways...if you could kindly expland on your idea then maybe i can use that instead. let me knwo.

I should be posting FISH IN A TANK early next week depending how busy I am at work! hehe. have a nice day!

samruiz123 said:

Thaks for your input...and glad to hear you enjoyed these cards! I do plan to continue making all missions....I am almost done FISH IN A TANK...for which I am makkng a new board for it, double sided (to include on the other side room for mission 4 where the troikas are....hey by the way...did you check out the rules I made for AMMO TOKENS and for KRILL?...check them out...let me know how they play out for you.

On another note, forgive me but i do not undestand quite well your suggestion:

" Can create one pistol ammo token at the end of his turn . Instead he can drop up to X pistol ammo tokens (only usable with pistol weapons), where X is the number of his actual pistol ammo tokens."

if you could kindly elaborate on it...i guess the word 'create' is the one that i don't get mixed in with the rest of the sentence...how does he create it? do you mean he picks one up? thanks for your response..

HOWEVER...i had been thinking about giving something to carmine an ability...so I made it simple...how about: CARMINE GETS +1 DEFENCE DIE ALWAYS. not too bad eh!...easy enough and that would make him a tougher cookie to kill! hehehe....my son's explanation for this (which actually it was his idea) is that be gets +1 defense because he wears a helmet!

anyways...if you could kindly expland on your idea then maybe i can use that instead. let me knwo.

I should be posting FISH IN A TANK early next week depending how busy I am at work! hehe. have a nice day!

OH FYI...I only photoshoped the orignial cards to accomodate these made up missions...so really, not my design eh! hehehe.

I am no native speaker so please forgive my bad english! :)

With "create" I meant "gaines" (like the hammer of dawn). So imagine, that he pick up the ammo from his huge ammo belt each round. Instead of gaining he can drop ammo (for other COGs).

But I am also totally fine with the proposal of your son. It is a simpler solution but sounds fine!

Act I: Ashes

Mission 1: 14 years before e-day

I did setup act1 mission 1 rihtg now. I will be playing as Fenix. Every spawn (no matter if it is ABC) is a B spawn right? Regarding a 1-player-game I should also spawn 2 Drones (the more powerful locust, because locust type A is unavaiable) at maptile 16A and 13A in the the Mission-setup-step, right? I will do so and see, how it will work! :)

Regarding "Reinforcements", should I only spawn a locust B or should I spawn 3 Locust B (because there are no locust A and C in the mission avaiable and in this cause I have to spawn the most powerful locust instaed)? I will spawn 3 Bs for thisgame, sounds better for balance in my opinion. AND of course: more enemys more fun ...

Fisrt game - review:

The mission is great, plays quick and you have a ton of ammo. Its a better introduction map to new players than emergence. I played very risky and felt very confinent. As a result from that behaviour i died at the map exit of stage 1 . Will try it again... :)

Second game - review:

Played very offensive again. Maptiles in following order: 12A, 16A, 13A. There was a big corridor regarding maptile 16A and13A adjacent to another. Killed 2 of the initial 5 drones. In turn 3 I moved into maptile 16A in full cover, tryed to kill Drone 3 (also full cover) - just wounded it. The following locust activation step activated all 3 drones and regarding bad dice rolling I died to heavy huammerburst fire. :( Guard and dodge didnt worked out, sadly. Anyways I will setup again... ;)

Third game - review:

I died again. This game i wasnt able to move a step. I died in my starting area. I used all my ammo was able to kill 3 drones, but the drone activation and spawning were so heaviliy that the 3 drones (spawn at the map entrance) were able to get close to me (1 adjacent area) and finally killed me, as 3 of them could shoot at the same time. Wow this scenerio is tougher than i thought. Hm, maybe general event 4 (reinforcements is a bit too tough in a 1-player-game. Also the 5 initial drones from seting up the map is a big deal for one player.

Some tough things to overcome for a one-player game:

- 5 initial drones

- general event "reinforcements" (spawning 3 drones at the same time)

- the long corridor with a lot of LOS (especially for the locust with no range restrictions) causing from adjacent maptiles 16A and 13A

Hope my gamereviews are a help for you and for possible balancing.

Fourth game:

I died again.... sigh. All maptiles in a straight line (16A, 12A, 13A). I managed entering the last maptile while using roadie run, with 1 drone left in the middle map tile. Then 4 dronespawns within 2 turns, direct in my face (entered same area). All clumped together in 1 area, so i moved one area and threw my grenade. Wounded all, but no single kill. Locust activasion step: all attacked (and healed) as a result i died again... :(

I think its better to completely ignore Locust A and C spawns (instead of alternativ spawining locust B) as they actually doesnt appear in the mission.

I only played "Mission One" (4 times)! ;)

Enemy A: none

Enemy B: Drone

Enemy C: none

How many Locust must I spawn while setting up the map (in a one player game)? 3 or 5 ?

Hello Kotlok,

alright..after reviewnig carfully the maps and the review you provided...I can answer y our questions regarding mission 1.

"Some tough things to overcome for a one-player game:

- 5 initial drones - YES..YOU HAVE TO USE 5 DRONES....1 on each emergence hole on map 12A, 16A, 13A. it is a tough one but it is doable! in fact.. placing the tiles in this order 12A 16A AND 13A gives you the best start and best finish (considering you apply the LOS rules for adding 1 defense die for each extra space beyond the range of the weapon the locust is carrying OR if you do not have range if the spaes are beyond the range of the weapon. I had posted this before.

- general event "reinforcements" (spawning 3 drones at the same time)..NO...YOU DO NOT SPAWN 3 DRONES FOR RENIFORCEMENT..that is why I made ONLY LOCUST B AS A DRONE..because when reinforcement card requested one of each, then you would not have to place either A or C because they do not exist. SO in conclusion...only reinforce with 1 DRONE.

- the long corridor with a lot of LOS (especially for the locust with no range restrictions) causing from adjacent maptiles 16A and 13A - YES...THAT IS THE TOUGH ONE...WE HAD THIS ONE KILL US SO MANY TIMES...THAT IS WHY WE USE THE RULE FOR RANGE I HAD MENTIONED BEFORE . we found out that by having map 13A last gives the best result.

i hope this answers your concerns...let me know if you pass the mission. check out the COG BUDDY SYSTEM RULES i posted ..i foudn this system to be very helpfull! you can use dom and marcus at the same time just like in the video game!...anyways...have fun and let me know how things go for you....ooh...almost there on mission 3!

ttyl

Yeah, I will try your missions again, after i pass my exams next week.

I asked, whether spawning 3 or 5 drones when setting up the map, because (for one player) there are 2 Enemy A spawns. And similiar to the reinforcements card, where A and C are ignored, they should be also ignored on the maptile cards, right? That would mean not to spawn 5 drones...

Anyways, I love your creativity and efforts you invest in this project. Cant wait for more missions! :)