Teumessa: My Games Blog

By Rhydderch, in Tannhauser

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've posted a short photo review of the Dust Tactics buildings from Operation Cerberus and the Punisher / Fireball Walker, or "Spider" Tank, as I like to call it:

http://teumessa.blogspot.com/2012/01/dust-tactics-operation-cerberus-and.html

Also, I've been fairly busy and unable to work on any Tannhauser customs. I think I may do a photo series of the figures that I use with Tannhauser, and would like to know if you would like to see text-only (rough draft) stats and abilities for those figures. Please let me know!

Punisher+1.JPG

Did I see Hans the Hunter from Incursion in one of those pics? If so I'd like to see some good compairison shots of him and some TH figs. Also text only stat and equipment ideas will be great to see.

I still really like your clear bases : )

FINALLY got to reading the Companion w/o interruption...BRAVO! very well done, everyone who had a part of it! THANK YOU!

ps - just saw your clear bases - coincidental that i am actually just about to place a litko order for clear bases myself. I really dont like how the black bases hid the board & tokens below and figured you could drill & pin the figures to a clear base...and even have it engraved 1-3, A-F, etc...but since i've never done this before, i wondered how difficult this would be with the TH figures (especially Yula, voivodes, eva,and others that seem to have some degree of noticible perma-bend i cant seem to correct) to get them to stand upright? any tips/suggestions?

Since a few people have inquired about my bases, I plan to do a tutorial on them. Any thoughts on whether you'd like to see those before or after I've started my series on custom figures?

Miah999 said:

Did I see Hans the Hunter from Incursion in one of those pics?

Yup! Sent you a couple of photos to compare the two. I need to work on a setup to take better pictures of my figures for the blog...

Artemus Maximus said:

FINALLY got to reading the Companion w/o interruption...BRAVO! very well done, everyone who had a part of it! THANK YOU!

You're welcome! Also, you read it straight through? Wow!

Miah999 said:

I still really like your clear bases : )

Thanks Miah :)

Artemus Maximus said:

Just saw your clear bases... about to place a Litko order for clear bases myself. I... figured you could drill & pin the figures to a clear base... but since I've never done this before, I wondered how difficult this would be with the TH figures.

I cannot speak for the Litko bases since I make my own, but my experience with plastic figures is that you do not need to pin them; they are so light that you can just glue them onto the bases. I've re-based almost all of my Tannhauser figures without problem. I also have a handful of metal miniatures on my clear bases. Most of those were fine with just glue as well. I think I had one figure which gave me trouble - that figure is supposed to stand at an extreme slant with only the balls of one foot on the ground. I had to adjust the miniature's pose because glue alone would not work, and the pin technique is not a very good option with my thin bases.

Anyway, if you do not mind thinner bases, you may want to wait for my tutorial before you put in an order for the Litko bases. Just briefly, pro's for the thin bases: they are more "invisible" and are easy to make / inexpensive. Cons: top-heavy figures may fall over because you cannot pin the figures and the bases are very light; in addition, some people may think they look cheap.

For the "perma-bent" figures, you may want to try the hot water technique to bend them into a more natural position. Finally, I plan to use stencils to add the letters / numbers to the bases for the clear Caitlins and the Voivodes. I have not yet re-based those figures because of the need to differentiate them.

thanks for the tips - will wait to see your tutorial :)

my main apprehension with just gluing was the bonding of 2 smooth surfaces with very little surface area, making them likely to break apart at the weak bond there in my mind. not that i'm throwing the boxes around, but you know... through the course of play, someones going to naturally knock one down... i see visions of my cat catswiping yula, knocking her off the table and exacting territorial claw domination of the kitchen table. :) yula's an extreme with her feet, but you think for characters with normal-sized feet, gluing is sufficient? which type of glue do you suggest? (my vote is obviously for tutorial first)

speaking of yula, ive heated & tempered her several times...seems to stay at the 80 degree angle lol

and i'd also like to see hans - tannhauser size comparison gui%C3%B1o.gif

2 tannhauser maps i wish we had - 1. dock/shipping container yard and 2. the deck of a freighter ship....joined together in the art w/ whatever those boarding planks are called and in function with the new gate tokens!

Tutorial for the clear bases for me too!

-Nhoj

I've posted a tutorial on my clear bases on my blog. If you have any questions, please let me know. Also, yes, I'm aware I mispelled Nephesh. I blame the Mummy's curse! Finally, if you think other gamers would be interested in the bases, please feel free to pass along a link to my blog:

http://teumessa.blogspot.com/2012/01/tutorial-clear-bases.html

Montage.jpg

Artemus Maximus said:

i see visions of my cat cat swiping Yula, knocking her off the table and exacting territorial claw domination... which type of glue do you suggest?

ROFL! Get that cat off your table! Anyway, I went ahead and dropped Yula onto my carpeted floor from 6-7 feet high a few times. She stayed on the base just fine, though I cannot say how that compares to a swipe from your cat. The glue I use, Homax brand "Welder" glue is quite strong though you can definitely pull the figures off if you try. For me, its the perfect balance. The bond is strong enough for normal wear and tear, but if I want to take a figure off the base for a modification, its a cinch! Please see the tutorial for more information about it.

Artemus Maximus said:

I'd also like to see Hans...

LOL! Okay, I'll post a size comparison photo of Hans next week since everyone's interested. I should warn everyone that Miah and I have an ongoing joke about Hans being a baby golem, or Golemjungen, because of his size! =P

Artemus Maximus said:

Two Tannhauser maps I wish we had...

More connected maps would be great. I had the idea to use my bases as pathfinder circles which you could then place on top of the board for other games. It would take a lot of effort to plan out where the circles should go though...

I've posted a review of the first Tannhauser novel, Rising Sun, Falling Shadows , on my blog:

Review: Rising Sun, Falling Shadows

I plan to post a review of the new novel, Operation Night Eagle , later today or maybe tomorrow.

I've added my review of Operation: Night Eagle to my blog

Review: Operation Night Eagle

I've written an article looking at some of the information that we learned from the two Tannhauser novels. Please be aware that you should read both stories before you read the article as it contains many spoilers! A couple of quick, relatively spoiler-free teasers from the article:

RSFS seems to confirm that the Han'ei project involves some sort of cloning… Iroh Minamoto, the first subject to come out of the Han'ei Project, is said to have fallen multiple times in battle, only to return again. That leads to an idea I had, that maybe Iroh really does die whenever he falls, but that the Shogunate simply clones another "Iroh" from the remains of the last one.

The remainder of my theories deal with Wolf and his plans. In both novels, Wolf plays an important role… and raises questions about who (if anyone) is behind his plans, who or what is Wolf, what exactly his plans entail, and what it all means for the war.

The Link to the Article

If you have any ideas of your own or thoughts on what I've written, please do tell the rest of us about them!