Adjacent but no LOS

By Horsa, in Tannhauser

In the rules the statement is made that you can only attack an adjacent character that is not in LOS with melee.

In the FAQ, one response says that you may always attack a character that is adjacent but not in LOS. This does not contradict the rule book but is rather open ended.

Later in the FAQ, ,melee is not mentioned as being used for such a situation. Possibly an oversite by the responder?

Anyway, in a nut shell. Is the rule book correct or is there a specific statement by FFG that a adjacent character not in LOS can be attacked by any weapon not just melee?

I can only recall circles adjacent but without LOS on Doors, so only melee can be used on those, but the reason why i can punch through a door but cant shoot through it is beyond me...

You are correct in that doors are the issue. The response to the FAQs seems to muddy what was otherwise a very clear rule.

We run that you must be on path to make a ranged attack. Melee can hit anything adjacent regardless of path. It does mean melee folk need better setup to make it work, but it makes melee very strong if they get good positioning.

The official rules are murky, but this is how we've interpreted them, and it's the most fun we've found.

My interpretation of the rules was: Ranged attack - target needs to be on the same path as the attacker, melee attack - target needs to be adjacent to the attacker, but may be out-of-path (so no line of sight). After there was quite a discussion on this forum and several people claimed you needed line of sight to attack in melee, I sent the question to FFG. While I seperated ranged and hand-to-hand combat in my question, the answer was: "You can always attack adjacent characters, even if out-of-path." The answer neither mentioned ranged nor hand-to-hand combat. As we say in Germany: "Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!"

Sorry, I can't really translate it, it means that the answer only made matters harder to understand and caused confusion. Where's a new FAQ to explain all this?

??! said:

My interpretation of the rules was: Ranged attack - target needs to be on the same path as the attacker, melee attack - target needs to be adjacent to the attacker, but may be out-of-path (so no line of sight). After there was quite a discussion on this forum and several people claimed you needed line of sight to attack in melee, I sent the question to FFG. While I seperated ranged and hand-to-hand combat in my question, the answer was: "You can always attack adjacent characters, even if out-of-path." The answer neither mentioned ranged nor hand-to-hand combat. As we say in Germany: "Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!"

Sorry, I can't really translate it, it means that the answer only made matters harder to understand and caused confusion. Where's a new FAQ to explain all this?

Played with my buddy the first time last night. He got that even though 2 circles were adjacent but no shared path, he couldn't fire through the door (tropper wouldn't know the stosstruppen was there and thus wouldn't shoot...or doors were made of some advanced nano fog ...or u-world stuff :P ). He then verified - "and you can't attack me either, right?" "well, actually I CAN - H2H weapon on my stosstruppen can ALWAYS attack an adjacent circle, whether it shares a path or not..." "....umm what... [i point out in rules, forums] ... ok they have to be nano-fog to stop only bullets." we laughed and moved on playing per rulebook.

then, and now seeing FFG's answer, the German phrase that comes to my mind is "Mensch ärgere dich nicht!"

Well, imagine that you can simply kick in the door, without knowing an enemy is on the other side, damaging him. Still a melee attack. And a door smack in plain visage would hurt more than some punches. Wood creaks, floors and roofs collapse in old buildings, such as the castle, so the sound of a crashing door wouldn't be too unusual to anyone, and at worst would make them pay more attention to their surroundings. Gunfire, however, would alert every enemy. This is just my attempt at a logical explanation of the "adjacent but not in LoS" concerning melee through doors.

After looking over the rules it looks like it could rule either way. Under 'Declare target and weapon' it states that a legal target must either share a path with the attacker or be on an adjacent circle…then later goes to say To choose an adjacent target, there is no equipment requirement. This makes it sound like you CAN target an adjacent out of path character with a ranged weapon. However, in the SIGHTING section it states Hand to Hand attacks may target a character on the other side of a door, regardless of Line of Sight…this seems to imply that line of sight is required for ranged attacks, but I don't see that stated any where…

Tim

That's just the point. The rules are somewhat contradicting and it could be ruled either way. And when I asked FFG, the answer didn't really solve the problem.

This needs to be added to the FAQ sticky, but I've got to go, so someone please help with that .

I tried to put it as clear as possible, but maybe a native speaker could come up with something better. Anyway, the questions are added.