Elevation?

By rgrove0172, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Where the heck are the elevation rules?

In the middle of a session here and cant find the **** things.

I seem to recall a +1 range for shooting up and -1 range for shooting down / per level but Im not sure.

Anybody?

rgrove0172 said:

Where the heck are the elevation rules?

In the middle of a session here and cant find the **** things.

I seem to recall a +1 range for shooting up and -1 range for shooting down / per level but Im not sure.

Anybody?

RtL pg26
Figures in these spaces are elevated. An elevated figure attacking a non-elevated figure (i.e., attacking down) gains +1 range and +1 damage. A non-elevated figure attacking an elevated figure (i.e., attacking up) loses –1 range and –1 damage. Remember that melee attacks ignore rolled range.

There are a few complicated issues with elevation, so here is what we posted to FFG in our FAQ proposal:

(from the large monster movement section, an optional clarifying addition)
OPTIONAL Oddbits: Option A-1: When a large monster attacks it must choose one space to attack from. Attack range, elevation and line of sight effects will be counted only from that space, although the large monster may benefit (or suffer) from non-terrain effects that affect it's other spaces during the attack (eg command).

58. Elevation
Background:

The Elevation rules contain an error.
An elevated figure attacking a nonelevated figure (i.e., attacking down) gains +1 range and +1 damage. A non-elevated figure attacking an elevated figure (i.e., attacking up) suffers –1 range and –1 damage. Remember that melee attacks ignore rolled range.

When you make an attack, you don’t attack a figure, you attack a space. You affect figures in that space (or in multiple spaces if an AoE attack). Technically no figure ever attacks another figure.

Further, it would be more consistent with other rules that it is actually spaces that are elevated (or not) rather than figures. Using the figure terminology may make the rule sound/flow more easily, but it introduces inconsistencies. What does a large figure that is occupying both elevated and nonelevated spaces count as? What if not all of its spaces have LOS to or from a target or attacker? Can it count as elevated if its elevated spaces cannot trace LOS to a target, or if an attacker is tracing LOS to one of its nonelevated spaces? It all gets a bit messy…

Suggestion:
Errata Elevated rules (Bed and Table, Forecastle) to say the following.
A figure attacking from an elevated space which targets a nonelevated space (i.e., attacking down) gains +1 range and +1 damage. A figure attacking from a non-elevated space which targets an elevated space (i.e., attacking up) suffers –1 range and –1 damage.
A figure attacking from an elevated space who makes an attack that does not target any spaces (eg Breath, Word of Val, Sweep) gains +1 range and +1 damage.
OR Attacks which do not target spaces (Breath, Word of Val, Sweep) ignore elevation entirely, both for attacker and affected spaces. (pick one of the last two sentences)
Remember that melee attacks ignore rolled range.

Suggested Errata for RtL level 25 The Arena
Treat High ground as Elevated Terrain except for changing the range modifier to +2/-2 range instead of +1/-1 range and being immune to melee attacks.