Inquisitor's Handbook: Bastard Sword

By Cymbel, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Okay, I have SEVERAL questions about this weapon:

First off in different parts of the Handbook, it is listed as 50 thrones (Feudal/Feral Section) and in the summary at the back, 13 thrones.

The weapon as is, is listed 1 handed 1d10+1 R Pen1 no special things except primitive.

It also says in the description it requires great strength to use only 1 handed (as it is essentially a slightly smaller great sword). However, nothing is listed of this and to be sure, the system does describe when you need a certain strength to effectively use a weapon (like the breacher or tranter .54). And other systems need a certain strength value to properly wield a "Hand and halfer" Bastard sword in one hand the whole time.

Should it be more powerful when used in 2 hands? Should it have a Strength requirement to use it one handed? How does this effect using the weapon if you use your "off hand" to do something while using the sword in the main hand?

I will say the cost should be 50 thrones

Our groups Psyker bought a good quality Bastard Sword on Iocanthos at about rank 2 or 3. The other players were laughing a lot about the - in their view – thrown down the drain thrones (i.e. 150). I house-ruled that the Bastard Sword as such gets one further point of penetration, when used two-handed. The other players stopped laughing when he killed a warp hound with a single hit. He got the mono-upgrade a little later and now in the meantime (rank 6) it became his force sword with terrifying effect.

I think that you can use it with one or both hands without anything changing the profile of the weapon.

Luthor Harkon said:

Our groups Psyker bought a good quality Bastard Sword on Iocanthos at about rank 2 or 3. The other players were laughing a lot about the - in their view – thrown down the drain thrones (i.e. 150). I house-ruled that the Bastard Sword as such gets one further point of penetration, when used two-handed. The other players stopped laughing when he killed a warp hound with a single hit. He got the mono-upgrade a little later and now in the meantime (rank 6) it became his force sword with terrifying effect.

I was thinking of +1 Damage, +1 Pen when used by a S 40+ PC 2 handed, and otherwise you can use both hands besides minor actions (So no dual wielding, but you can use the offhand for a nade or to activate something)

Cymbel said:

I was thinking of +1 Damage, +1 Pen when used by a S 40+ PC 2 handed, and otherwise you can use both hands besides minor actions (So no dual wielding, but you can use the offhand for a nade or to activate something)

I'd say S 40+ for one-handed use and ~+1 Pen (~equivalent of a primitive mono-sword) when wielded in 2-hands by such a strong wielder. A stronger wielder is already benefiting from their higher SB on melee attacks, so there's no real need to increase damage.

Luthor Harkon said:

Kind of surprised that worked out well with the warp hound... Must have been some lucky dice on the damage, or something or a wimpy hound.

what about two handed use just treat it as a Long Sabre for Stats?

Angel of Death said:

Well, those are +20 thrones more, balanced as well as +1/+1 damage/pen for cheaper and more flexibility. Honestly? I would love it, but it would be too powerful.

+1 pen seems a a little too weak, if +1 pen +1 dam is too strong, meaby try giving it proven(2) or (3) quality which will show additional damage that it can do.

Proven (2) or (3) does sound neat, isnt that where anything under X number becomes that number? Sort of like the new primitive for BC, where it is capped, instead of doubling modern armor.

drxn said:

Luthor Harkon said:

Kind of surprised that worked out well with the warp hound... Must have been some lucky dice on the damage, or something or a wimpy hound.

Yup, some lucky dice rolling (i.e. Righteous Fury). It was such a hound featured as Dark Eldar pets in PtU. The other players (as well as me) were looking in astonishment when the Strength 27 Psyker suddenly started charging towards the hounds (while the main combatants stayed away shooting or cowering in fear) and cut the foremost in two with a single sweep of his Bastard Sword. He has the Hatred (Daemons) talent after all. Fortune favours the brave...

ShadowRay said:

+1 pen seems a a little too weak, if +1 pen +1 dam is too strong, meaby try giving it proven(2) or (3) quality which will show additional damage that it can do.

Yup, +1 Pen seems a little weak, but I thought it is better than nothing at the time.

Oh yeah, a slight boost now with thought put into it and a better boost later is good

Cymbel said:

Angel of Death said:

Well, those are +20 thrones more, balanced as well as +1/+1 damage/pen for cheaper and more flexibility. Honestly? I would love it, but it would be too powerful.

I had not thought about the balanced of the Long Sabre, so I fully agree that might to much.

So why not +1 Pen, and Proven 3 as Two Handed, if u think the +1Pen and Damage is too much with Strength of 40

Why proven (3) particularly?

That changes it to stronger overall

If I understand Proven 3 correctly (meaning that on anyroll of a d10, 1,2, or 3 all = a 3) , that means the Bastard Sword used two handed by a High Strength is going to do min of 4+Strength Bonus but if u roll higher it doesn't have any effect. It gives that minor edge to it being used two handed by a high Strength person. In addition to the +1Pen.

I just am leery to add too many special rules, but I see where you are coming from.