EDIT:

By PM102, in Support

Hey all, and FFG.

Any chance we can get the edit function extended for longer than the first 5 minutes after the post is first... posted? For the past few months I have been keeping a player locator thread on the old boards, updating it using the edit when someone asks. So far a few people have gotten games going with it.

Anyway, now that I can only edit for the first 5 min, it is going to be increasingly complicated to edit and read. So, could we get it extended? Or is it locked in place?

Thanks, PM102

I second this. In the TI3 forum (and probably others), users with custom content created often use the first post in the thread to summarize things in the reast of the thread. Updating links, info, etc. With a limited edit capability, it makes doing so impossible, and is definitely a step backwards in terms of forum usability.

I third this. There are many things that are lost by if we can't edit the first post in the thread. We often track updates to projects at the top of the thread or keep a compiled list right at the top of the thread.

Please let us edit the top post in a topic in perpetuity.

There are many times where editing a post should be feasible. I'm not sure I understand why you would want it so that people couldn't edit their own posts. What is gained by the restriction?

Indeed.

WE WANT EDITS! WE WANT EDITS! WE WANT EDITS!

Just shouting so my voice is heard, not because I'm angry.

aslum said:

There are many times where editing a post should be feasible. I'm not sure I understand why you would want it so that people couldn't edit their own posts. What is gained by the restriction?

jadrax said:

aslum said:

For one, it stops people going back and changing their words when they are involved in a dispute. Not a big problem on most of the boards I would guess, just a handful of weasels who sadly abuse the system.

I find quoting people stops that, they can change their own posts, but not mine! *Evil laugh*

i would possibly restrict editing on replies but not on the topic post. editing the topic post is vital to keeping a forum tidy and coherent.

TylerT said:

i would possibly restrict editing on replies but not on the topic post. editing the topic post is vital to keeping a forum tidy and coherent.

I disagree with this. On the old boards, I'd often use the "topic post" as a Table of Contents, or something that can be updated with a summary. For instance, I was starting a thread in the Twilight Imperium 3 forum where I was going to post a bunch of custom races and such. The "topic post" was going to have links to the individual posts of the races, as well as updatable information.

Sure, this may not be a case that happens a LOT, it happens enough to be worthwhile - especially in the TI3 PBeM threads, where for the first little bit of the game, the first post is edited a lot to make finding certain information easier, and is changed when needed to match the new location of certain things, or added information, etc.

Editting ones post is also another way for the internet equivalent of "counting to 10" to come into play. It might subsequently get posted, but at least people can go back and temper their words. With date/time stamp it pretty much becomes clear when people have editted and whether it is "weasley" or there is a... higher justifiation for it.

Just a thought.

Kage

I am aslo jumping on the eddit band wagon, I'm a poor typer and even pooer speiler, I'm dyslexic, often have a small humaniod (or two) clamering in my lap or dangling from my arms while typing and have inadvertedly 'filled' other fourmites. The ablity to eddit would be awsome. Also as previously stated its almost pointless having House Rules subforums for games when you are ging to have to post an entire new thread or entry for every minut change or alteration or correction that will likely be the fruit of sharing with your peers.

WE NEED THE EDDIT FUNCTION!!!

sigmazero13 said:

TylerT said:

I disagree with this. On the old boards, I'd often use the "topic post" as a Table of Contents, or something that can be updated with a summary. For instance, I was starting a thread in the Twilight Imperium 3 forum where I was going to post a bunch of custom races and such. The "topic post" was going to have links to the individual posts of the races, as well as updatable information.

Sure, this may not be a case that happens a LOT, it happens enough to be worthwhile - especially in the TI3 PBeM threads, where for the first little bit of the game, the first post is edited a lot to make finding certain information easier, and is changed when needed to match the new location of certain things, or added information, etc.

sigmazero13 analysis is absolutely correct. Especially when it comes to "Project Threads" where updating the first post is almost a necessity. It allows changes in the title of the thread and the thread itself to reflect progress made. Allows adding links to the project once completed rather than hiding the links in the middle of page eight of the thread.

Wee nead eddits! Withaut them, the foram willl bee filled with spellng errorrs. Reeding posts wil bee verry dificult, and anoying. Peeple who rote their replys at one in the mourning will half to live with a pour imaje for the rest of theyre existance on this foram, as a persin who dusn't kare about spelling.

Allso, wee wil no longerr bee ayble to ceep an indecks at the begginning of eech topyc, that is updatted as the topyc is.

Although the first of those could be solved by a spell checker.

I would have edited this comment into my post above, but there were reasons that I couldn't. lengua.gif

sigmazero13 said:

TylerT said:

Good news! This is still possible!

I've found out that for a few minutes after posting in a topic I started, I can edit the original topic post!

So you can still use the first post as a table of contents! Hooray!

Only if the entire contents of the thread are determined within about 5 minutes of posting the original post....

YES. we need EDIT option! So that when I write somting wrang it kan bi changd.

But mostly for editing topics. Though we CAN do this now if we post something in the current post. But is that just a flaw I've succesfully exploited? It really isn't top notch that stuff works like that in any case.

EDIT

I agree, the inability to edit posts prevents the use of trade threads, and player locator threads. At the very least just add a feature to denote that posts have been edited.

sigmazero13 said:

Only if the entire contents of the thread are determined within about 5 minutes of posting the original post....

Yeah, this sucks as I look to save old threads from the previous forum. A lot of those were summaried of rule questions and collections of information. They need to extend the life of the old forums until they get things working over here.

The edit function is probably the most important feature that helps players organize ongoing projects.

I agree with getting rid of all the numerous downgrades mentioned in the support forum.

I'd also like the elimination of scoring "points" for posting in forums.

This leads to a lot of garbage posts.