Scenario 13. Encounter between Robb and Sandor Clegane

By Ronja13, in Battles of Westeros

Hello,

we had the following problem yesterday: Robb and Sandor encountered each other on the battlefield and fought which was marked with a marker, of course.

Now, Sandor's unit can bind opposing units who can't get out of the fight, not even by accepting a penalty (I'M not sure of the official English terminology since we use the German version, sorry, but I hope you know what I mean). Robb, on the other hand, can remove the fight markers before or after an attack.

To us, these two abilities contradict each other - so who wins? Can Robb leave a fight with Sandor by removing the marker or not?

I think he can but my opponent. playing Lannister, osaid, of course, that he can't.

Is there an official ruling on this?

Thank you for your help,

Ronja

It's the same problem as in thread "rob stark vs the hound":

Question from monk:

Rob stark 'king of the north' ability is that he can remove an engagement token before being ordered. The hounds ability is 'fearsome' meaning you are unable to disengage from his unit. What would you do if they (rob and hound) became engaged?

I think that as Rob is able to remove the token before being ordered that this does not count as disengagement and so is allowed to do so. any thoughts?

Answer from Llew:

From the language, removing an engagement token is not the same thing as disengaging, so Robb should be able to remove the token. Then, since there is no token, he would move freely.

If this is correct than not only Robb but every unit can disengage from a fearsome unit by using a command card which allows the removement of an engagement token. I am not sure that the answer "from the language" is correct, because the rule text about fearsome explains "disengage" as "voluntarily move or attack a unit it is not engaged with". Is removing an engagement token part of "voluntarily move or attack etc."? Then its not allowed for units engaged with an fearsome unit. If it is not than "voluntarily move etc." is only another expression for normal disengaging combined with Parting Blow.

In my opinion this question is very important for the strength of the keyword "fearsome" in every scenario (with fearsome units) and especially for the scenario 13 (with a very heavy Robb happy.gif ). In the first case intimidated units can only get "free" by eliminating or defeating the fearsome unit; in the second case they can simple use their ability (Robb) or wait for a right command card.

Ah sorry, I had not noticed the other thread, thanks for quoting it. I tend to agree with Llew, also based on the way it is expressed on the card.

If this is not what was intended but if indeed Sandor could effectively "bind" Robb it would make a big difference particularly to that scenario. So, we will probably have to wait for the next version of the Errata cool.gif

This is a good question. Fill out the official form to get an official answer. It would be great if it got added to the FAQ, too, but I doubt that the designer will answer or see this thread, so use this link:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

Thanks for your hint. I filled the form, so let's wait for the "official answer" happy.gif .

And here are the results of the official jury gui%C3%B1o.gif :

Greetings Stefan,

• Yes Robb can use his power.

• You can do the same with a unit since removing engagements is separate from disengaging.

Thanks for playing!

FFG

Thanks Moritex.

I wonder if some of us should compile a list of officially answered questions that haven't been added to the FAQ/Errata document yet?