Best news all year.

By Hellfury, in Nexus Ops

So FFG now have the old Avalon Hill Nexus ops license now.

I already own the game, but this new edition seems to be something that I will still buy.

It should prove to be one of FFG's better sellers.

Indeed.

I don't own this game (yet), although I remember it coming out alongside Betrayal as a game that was super awesome and then vanished before I had a chance to buy it. Definitely glad to see it coming back, and looking forward to a long and prosperous print run this time. =)

Weird how there's only your comment in here considering how much fuss it gets on the other site and on the front page.

I've got a copy as well, but I'm interested in the alternate abilities and variant rules. The minis look cool, but I like the translucent ones.

I hope it's a big success for FFG.

I will buy it, I already own the older one but it is starting to show signs of wearing out. I think it is the best of genre of games (DOAM).

I never owned the old one, i guess i missed that time period, but this looks like the perfect game to play with friends, will definitally buy,

have to ask, does the game play out like risk?? I have never heard of this game but couldn't help but notice a few similarities between the games appearance, maybe i am wrong what do you guys know?? will it be like the other FFG board games??

Darkmittens said:

1) have to ask, does the game play out like risk??

2)I have never heard of this game but couldn't help but notice a few similarities between the games appearance, maybe i am wrong what do you guys know??

3)will it be like the other FFG board games??

1) Kinda, but not really. It has dudes on a map, dice, and mission cards. That said it is not nearly the pure dicefest that risk is. Nexus Ops is so much better for so many reasons, especially when considering play time.

2) It is more similar to axis and allies in how the units work than risk. It seems the unit cost and order are kinda directly ported from A&A. Not many original mechanics in the game, but it is unique in how they all work together so **** well.

3) Not really, but this game should have been an FFG from the beginning. It is one of the best light thematic games that I own. It's a wargame that I can actually get my GF to enjoy playing and she asks for it by name often. It is definitely a game that should be (and thankfully finally is) part of FFG's catalog.

I was talking to Kevin Wilson about potential licenses at FFG EC a couple months ago and I brought up Nexus Ops and how much of a perfect fit it would be for FFG (prior to FFG announcing their license) and he remarked (without revealing a thing, the sneaky guy... lengua.gif ) that if Nexus Ops were a game that FFG published, the sales it made for Hasbro would have been considered a bonafide success for FFG, but since Hasbro needs so many units to be sold to be considered profitable, it wasn't the resounding success for Hasbro expectations.

I will have to watch this game closely. I should see if youtube has a review of the hasbro version...

Tromdial said:

I will have to watch this game closely. I should see if youtube has a review of the hasbro version...

Tromdial,

you can look at the WoC demo here (thx to Grim6 who posted this in another thread)