How "New" Can One Be?

By Blutsteigen, in CoC General Discussion

Greetings all,

Long-time Miniature war gamer here, and always wary of CCG's. I like the concept behind the LCG, and I've been a fan of Lovecraft for ages.

My friend and I were considering starting this with the re-launch, but are concerned: is this a game that is disadvantageous to "new" players. Even if it is just he and I, will we quickly find we need cards from the older out of print sets? If we have not previously played, should we consider very carefully if we are going to give it a try?

Thanks for the info; new territory here.

Blutsteigen said:

Greetings all,

Long-time Miniature war gamer here, and always wary of CCG's. I like the concept behind the LCG, and I've been a fan of Lovecraft for ages.

My friend and I were considering starting this with the re-launch, but are concerned: is this a game that is disadvantageous to "new" players. Even if it is just he and I, will we quickly find we need cards from the older out of print sets? If we have not previously played, should we consider very carefully if we are going to give it a try?

Thanks for the info; new territory here.

There will be -some- disadvantage, but such disadvantage will mostly be seen at the highest level tournaments, and then only if it supports the old format cards. The Core Set does a very good job of bringing you up to speed, though.

If it's just you and your friend, I can't see any problem at all. More different cards is always better ofcourse, but you don't really need the old cards to play.

Just give it a go, if you like the horror theme and deep strategic gameplay, you won't be disappointed.

Welcome, I, too, am a long-time miniatures gamer.

My collection of minis is strongly skewed towards Call of Cthulhu games, which I ran for many years.

I really love this card game, and now that the very annoying and expensive 'collectable' aspects of card purchase are history, you may very well enjoy CoCthulhulcg. There is definitely a 'tactical' feel to game play, setting up ambushes disguised as frontal assaults, etc, which will be familiar to you from table-top miniature gaming.

Chick

Thanks gents; I had a chance to play this last night, and the art work alone was enough to get me hooked. Enjoyed the dynamics as well, so you'll see me around. I can order the starter at work at a discount, and then pick up additional releases from my LGS's.

Cheers

p.s. are future LCG releases for Cthulhu going to be faction specific? In other words, can you plan your budget something along the lines of "2 in March, skip April" ?

I think they do a mix of every faction, like 2 new cards per faction. I haven't gotten any of the LCG expansions, but I think they add 3x of the 'common' cards, and 1x of the 'rare' cards. Someone else may want to clarify that though. In any case, they're trying to get you to buy 3 of each expansion so you can get a complete playset, so they limit the more powerful cards somehow.

Blutsteigen said:

Thanks gents; I had a chance to play this last night, and the art work alone was enough to get me hooked. Enjoyed the dynamics as well, so you'll see me around. I can order the starter at work at a discount, and then pick up additional releases from my LGS's.

Cheers

p.s. are future LCG releases for Cthulhu going to be faction specific? In other words, can you plan your budget something along the lines of "2 in March, skip April" ?

The AP's have all the factions. You can however trade with other players for some of the cards of a certain faction, trading away some of another, if you want to built on your deck's consistancy with a minimal budget.

Thanks M & Z; trading is always nice and multiple factions per deck spurns you to know your enemy.

Before the next packs hit, I have the opportunity to pick up commons and uncommons from older sets. Which ones do you recommend as perhaps the most relevant to the upcoming releases and slight changes to the rules?

For example, should I avoid decks that have a lot of the night / day element?

Any recommends would be great; I will enjoy having just a bit of variety from the past.

Blutsteigen said:

Before the next packs hit, I have the opportunity to pick up commons and uncommons from older sets. Which ones do you recommend as perhaps the most relevant to the upcoming releases and slight changes to the rules?

For example, should I avoid decks that have a lot of the night / day element?

Any recommends would be great; I will enjoy having just a bit of variety from the past.

Pick the cool stuff ;) I don't know what will limit your picks, but... It's a living card game, anything could become relevant at any time :D

Blutsteigen said:

Entirely depends on how you plan playing (there's an unhelpful reply, but I'll explain it a bit more... gui%C3%B1o.gif )

My friends and I play purely for fun - so we have decks that are themed around a storyline, or a faction, or even in one case to try re-create a Call of Cthulhu RPG adventure (that failed miserably, but was a laugh to see it all unravel in the course of the game). Since we have the 'old' rules, pretty much anything works - but we'd not have a hope in hell of getting anywhere in a competition with what we usually play with.

I can see some issues possible when the new rules appear, for competition play - but I'd really suggest picking up any cards that you think look good, or fit an idea you have for a deck, (and of course are cheap, or affordable!) rather than trying to guess what will be useful in competition.

Only thing I would suggest is getting a set of the current rules, since they explain what night/day, etc. are, and I'm not sure whether every game mechanic we currently have is going to be in the new version in the same form it has now.

Download the deckbuilder and the image packets; and unzip the images.

http://eric.minet.free.fr/cocbuilder/dbdownl_en.htm

If you do not you will never be the: smart, informed, complete, fulfilled, worthwhile, intrigued, prepared, inspired, creative, invested, expanded, and supported call of cthulhu cultist you can be.

johnny shoes said:

Download the deckbuilder and the image packets; and unzip the images.

http://eric.minet.free.fr/cocbuilder/dbdownl_en.htm

If you do not you will never be the: smart, informed, complete, fulfilled, worthwhile, intrigued, prepared, inspired, creative, invested, expanded, and supported call of cthulhu cultist you can be.

That's an absolute truth!