felling and volitile to solve damage issuses.

By wheatiess, in Dark Heresy House Rules

continuing with the issue of low powered melta and plasma weapons one fix i am yet to play test fully (group is to low level and im stingy with big weapons) is to add felling to meltas at short range and volitile to plasma.

the rules for volitile clash with a few other rules and over reward poor skilled players by auto confirming RF. it has been discused previously that volitile should be reworded and hence to rule i use is

: volitile increases the righteous fury threat range thus volitile(1) has a RF range of 9-10 and volitile(3) would be RF range of 7-10

felling should work pretty much the same but should affect base touhness not just unnatural.

:felling(1) removes one level of TB thus TB4 would have no damage reduction from TB and a ork TB8 ( 40 X 2) would have a TB reduction of 4. felling(3) would remove 3 levels of TBthus you would need unnatural toughness X 4 to even get base TB reduction.

by giving meltas felling (x) at short range and increasing enemy ap at longer ranges it reflects thier power at short ranges

by giving plasmas volitle(x) it reflects their unstable nature and chance to do massive damage( chance not certainty)

using the following qualities can give weapons a unique feel. the lack of divierity is one of my biggest gripes with the system. these can even be given to basic weapons and pistols without greatly overpowering them but making them feel more like personal weapons.

felling(x)

volitlie(x)

proven(x)

i also believe that the original rule for Volitile(autoconfirm RF) can be usefull and that tearing should have a rating aswell

:tearing(1) adds one dice and must take away one dice tearing(3)....(it would be stupid i know) would add 3 dice must take away 3 dice. this greatly increases the chance for RF but does not affect the base damage thus it would be great for dagger assaisins

eg. mortiat [adds tearing(1)] with volitle(2) tearing(2) bolo knives:

roll 5d5 but only uses 2. RF occuring on 8-10. so pretty much going to crit(sorry RF) every strke but not do crazy damage.

just though of somthing while reading through the forums and not sure where to put it so it can go of these rules.

a scope or sight that adds to felling or voliltile would be great for bounty hunter/pistolero characters. make it use a full aim action and then you can recreate those one hit kills Jango fett does

the issue with increasing the RF threat range is that with a D10 a one point increase is substantial. but the weapons should be leathal if you want PCs to survive give them more cover to use or increase wounds like vitality in other games.

adding to these i also feel that the talents that add to crit damage should add to your RF damage. so crippling shot +4 crit would mean if you RF you do and extra 1D10+4