From Roads to Sea

By rgrove0172, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I played RoL a while back and am not ready to embark on the Sea of Blood.

Does SoB stand on its own, in otherwords must I undo all the changes to the decks and such made in RoL? Or does it add on, including all the previous additions etc.?

Also, as I remember RoL did not include the Tomb of Ice expansion, does SoB?

Oddly for a fairly simple game, the campaigns get pretty involved mechanically with the replacement of cards etc.

Thanks

Rich

SoB stands on its own, but you won´t have to change much when switching from RtL to SoB.

The treasure decks stay the same (no healing items, no invuln. potion caches), you receive a bunch of monster cards with the new Swim ability on them (just a few types have that), which you´ll have to use.

The skills decks are heavily modified (several new skills come with SoB and the same number will be taken out of the decks), but then you almost always will train a certain skill (after the initial draw of course), not a random one.

The OL deck remains unchanged. The OL uses sea incident and location cards instead of the overland incident and location cards in RtL, so you simply swap out these decks.

The dungeon levels can simply be added or replaced, just as you like. To get a stronger sea-themed flavour, you´ll want to use SoB dungeon levels only.

The SoB dungeons have monster options for ToI monsters, which is nice.

In total, not much hassle, IMO.

Thanks, I started weeding through it last night. Your right, not a huge deal... just a little overwhelming at first glance.