Spell Usage and Player Death

By Kyle81, in Elder Sign

Ok we are not sure on this but the wording confused us a bit. So when a person plays a spell that holds a die in place, it can be used by anyone at the table. Now when you do this, the spell is considered in play as noted in the rules, so this means its not tied to the person who plays the spell? So if the original person who cast the spell and saved the die/dice and is killed off, the spell with the die/dice is not discarded right? From the way it reads it seems to say that the spell is in play and anyone can grab that die, so we play and assume that it's no longer tied to the player and doesn't matter if the original character dies off right?

I dont think there is anything in the rules to suggest a spell fails or is removed if the caster of that spell dies.

pumpkin said:

I dont think there is anything in the rules to suggest a spell fails or is removed if the caster of that spell dies.

Right, and what we do know from the rules is that a spell can remain in play and be used by any other player... I think that implies that it remains available, regardless of devourings.

Am I right in thinking that a Spell card with a die/dice on it, although usable by any other player, it can only be used at the adventure card the Spell was played to? Cheers!

Rashley said:

Am I right in thinking that a Spell card with a die/dice on it, although usable by any other player, it can only be used at the adventure card the Spell was played to? Cheers!

That's incorrect. Spells are not played to any particular Adventure card, but they are just played... so the die can be accessed by anyone for any purpose thereafter.

At least that's my understanding.

Grudunza. Not owning the game myself, I can't argue with you, but that ruling seems much too easy and a bit illogical. Surely an investigator goes on an adventure against something and casts a spell there. If it isn't used, one would think that it would either fizzle out or only be left at its location for use by others. My one and only try at this game seemed too easy and we even fizzled out the unused spells. Mind you, the guy who taught us hadn't really read the rules properly. Obviously this rule is causing some confusion, so some definitive answer is needed. Cheers!

I agree with Grundunza. My understanding of the rules makes the Spell card like a hyped up 'Focus' or 'Assist', except that die is locked across multiple turns, open to anyone to use, at any time, anywhere, then disippating the spell. The only exception to this would be a Locked Die symbol, which would then undo the spell if the die on the spell was needed to be locked.

Rashley said:

Grudunza. Not owning the game myself, I can't argue with you, but that ruling seems much too easy and a bit illogical. Surely an investigator goes on an adventure against something and casts a spell there. If it isn't used, one would think that it would either fizzle out or only be left at its location for use by others. My one and only try at this game seemed too easy and we even fizzled out the unused spells. Mind you, the guy who taught us hadn't really read the rules properly. Obviously this rule is causing some confusion, so some definitive answer is needed. Cheers!

It is the definitive answer, straight from the rulebook:

A die may remain on a Spell card for any number of turns
before being used. The active player may always use a die on a
Spell card to complete a task regardless of who played the Spell.

I agree it may not seem logical or thematic or whatever, but it is what it is...

Grudunza. You are correct but you missed the important part. Intrigued by this issue, I read through the rules in the support section. By jove we were taught quite a few wrong rules! Your bit certainly allows the unused spell to remain until used by any active player in the future. However, it is the previous section that clears up where the spell is. The rules state it is played 'near' the adventure cards and not 'to' the actual adventure being attempted. Thus it is available to any active player on any adventure in the future until used. On another point, did I read correctly that a die 'had' to be placed on the spell card on the roll 'immeadiately' after the spell is played? Not convinced to buy the game yet as I believe that 'Lord of the Rings' did this coop adventuring style better. I do like the Lovecraft setting though. Cheers!

Rashley said:

Grudunza. You are correct but you missed the important part. Intrigued by this issue, I read through the rules in the support section. By jove we were taught quite a few wrong rules! Your bit certainly allows the unused spell to remain until used by any active player in the future. However, it is the previous section that clears up where the spell is. The rules state it is played 'near' the adventure cards and not 'to' the actual adventure being attempted. Thus it is available to any active player on any adventure in the future until used.

Well, that's exactly what I said earlier in the thread: "Spells are not played to any particular Adventure card, but they are just played... so the die can be accessed by anyone for any purpose thereafter." :o )

And yes, you must immediately choose a die to put on the Spell after you roll.