Is it uncommon to run through your plot deck more than once in a game?

By latarian, in A Game of Thrones LCG

I've been playing with some friends recently, and we're still getting the hang of the game, the only thing is that sometimes we find that we go through all our plot cards before the game is over. I was trying to find a rule regarding whether or not that means the game is over. So I suppose my questions are.

Once you've run through your plot decks, is the game over?

If not, what do you do with your plot deck?

Is it uncommon for us to have an average of 7 or 8 power by the time we've already gone through all seven of our plot decks?

Thanks for any answers, and or advice.

It depends on the length of the game, obviously. It's probably pretty rare if you're playing jousts, but it doesn't seem all that uncommon for melee in my admittedly limited experience. The game is going to go more slowly if you're all still learning the mechanics, and if you're using the Core Set decks. You're not doing anything wrong if you're cycling through plots.

As for what to do when you run out of plots, you simply start over. When you get to your last plot, after you've played it, take the 6 plots in your used pile, and they're now your plot deck. The seventh plot is the new used pile.

Decks with a lot of Renown or based around a Power rush can often get to 15 within 2-3 rounds. Sometimes you have to go through your entire plot deck twice to get to 15 power... depends on the deck build, your opponent, your draw, your number of challenges. So no, it's not uncommon.

After the second go through of the deck, do you still choose your plot cards, or are they randomized.

latarian said:

After the second go through of the deck, do you still choose your plot cards, or are they randomized.

Have a look at the rulebook, page 11 (emphasis mine):

"Each player simultaneously chooses and reveals
one plot card from his plot deck. Plot cards are
kept in three states: in the plot deck, revealed,
and used. When you reveal a plot card during
the plot phase, it moves from your plot deck to
a revealed state. When you reveal a new plot
card, place it on top of your previously revealed
plot card. (All plot cards under your currently
revealed plot card are considered your “used”
plots.) If this was the last card in your plot deck,
return all your previously played plots (except
the one just revealed) to your plot deck after your
revealed plot has taken effect.
"

And one more thing to clarify, you don't *choose* your plot card each round right? You just have them in a pile and draw them. So if you have valar morghulis, when you get it is a total surprise.

Have a look at the rulebook, page 11 (emphasis mine):

"Each player simultaneously chooses and reveals
one plot card from his plot deck. Plot cards are
kept in three states: in the plot deck, revealed,
and used. When you reveal a plot card during
the plot phase, it moves from your plot deck to
a revealed state. When you reveal a new plot
card, place it on top of your previously revealed
plot card. (All plot cards under your currently
revealed plot card are considered your “used”
plots.) If this was the last card in your plot deck,
return all your previously played plots (except
the one just revealed) to your plot deck after your
revealed plot has taken effect."

latarian said:

And one more thing to clarify, you don't *choose* your plot card each round right? You just have them in a pile and draw them. So if you have valar morghulis, when you get it is a total surprise.

No, you choose them.

Thank you :)

latarian said:

The game would be absolutely terrible if that was how it was played. No wonder you need to go through your plot deck more than once!

Circadia said:

latarian said:

The game would be absolutely terrible if that was how it was played. No wonder you need to go through your plot deck more than once!

Not sure about "Terrible" it would certainly be VERY different

I know we went through our plot decks about one and a half times so long as we were just using the core set. Once we started expanding, that quickly changed to generally seeing 4-6 of the plots.

It really depends on the game and the tactics used. A control vs control for instance will take long. Possibly more that 7 turns. I 've played games that lasted 2 turns and games that ended at around 10.

Nothing feels better than crushing your opponent in 3 turns or less

I played in a Regional this weekend with a Lanni Power Behind the Throne deck. I took a Targ burn deck to 7 Rounds and a Stark Kings of Winter/Shadows deck to 9 (which I think was the most Rounds of any game in the tourney, though I'm not positive). Those were exceptions, though. You should expect tourney games to be over by Round 4 or 5 (at least 2 games this weekend ended on Round 2).

Also, kill vs. kill decks take a long time to finish. I played my stark kill against my targ burn, and the game lasted 14 turns.