how does one increase its culture card limit?

By golfons, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

there is monarchy which increases the card limit by one. and i ve found computertechnology whoch increases the limit by one for each 5 coins someone has. what other ways are there that i do not find?

There are three technology cards with a smaller version of the symbol on the back of the Culture Event Cards that have a +1 in them. Each of those increse your culture hand size by one.

The technologies are:

LVL I: Pottery
LVL II: Civil Service
LVL III: Theology

In addition there is also the Computer technology which increse your hand size by 1 for each 5 coins you have.

Thus, the largest culture hand size possible would be:

2 (base) + 3 (pure techs) + 3 (computers) + 1 (monarchy government) = 9.

Note, however, that having +3 from computers would mean that you have won an economic victory by having 15 coins making your culture hand size irrelevant.

Another question:

- if your culture card limit is 2 and you draw another culture card, you have to throw away one culture card. This means that I donĀ“t use this card right? if I can use a culture card in the city management phase, though, I could play that card, no?

Quoting from the manual, page 18 under Culture Event Cards :

"...As mentioned before, if a player exceeds their culture hand size, then they must immediately discard down to their hand size before any culture event cards may be played ."

I believe, however, that you may look at the card you get and choose wether you wish to discard the new card or one of the old ones.

The discardng of cards can be worked around by making sure to plan ahead and always make sure you have space for at least one Event Card by playing cards before moving up the culture track.

hi all,

when you spent culture token to advance in culture sheet can you spend as token as more than one step? This means that you take one card (or person) for each step ( for exampe an advance of two step means two cards)or only the last one in which you arrived?

You always go up the culture track and resolve one step at a time. This means that you may not skip getting any card or great person.

For example: If you have maxed your culture hand size and want to spend enough culture tokens to go up two steps, you need to do the following steps:

1: Spend culture tokens and go up one step
2: Draw a card
3: Discard a card
4: At this point you may play a card before moving on
5: Spend culure tokens and go up a second step
6: Draw a card and (if you chose NOT play a card at step 4)
7: Discard a card.
8: You may now play a card again if you want and are able to.