RTL Going from Copper to Silver

By Desa, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

When going from Copper level to Silver level, does the OL automatically get to upgrade all the monsters to Silver level? Or does the OL have to pay exp. to upgrade each type of monster whenever the campaign changes levels?

Yes, the Overlord needs to pay the XP cost for each monster upgrade regardless of the campaign level.

Desa said:

When going from Copper level to Silver level, does the OL automatically get to upgrade all the monsters to Silver level? Or does the OL have to pay exp. to upgrade each type of monster whenever the campaign changes levels?

There are no 'free' upgrades. You also do not have to upgrade any monsters. I commonly end a campaign with one type of diamond monsters and the remainder copper still, or maybe one silver type.

Thank you for the replies :)

Corbon said:

Desa said:

There are no 'free' upgrades. You also do not have to upgrade any monsters. I commonly end a campaign with one type of diamond monsters and the remainder copper still, or maybe one silver type.

Digitality said:

Corbon said:

Desa said:

How well does that work for you? Are the heroes generally at a power level where the upgrade won't make that much of a difference in a monsters survival or ability to really threaten the heroes?

Yes.
The points usually feel better spent elsewhere (like on treachery to win Lt fights.

In SoB, with two cheaper monster types and more expensive, almost useless (not used in Lt fights) treachery, I've generally upgradedboth monster types - usually one type in copper and another double upgraded in silver (different types have different sweet spots in terms of upgrades).