Advanced Concealment

By Patton68, in Tide of Iron

OK concealment works as is but fails to do one important thing conceal your squads from your opponent. This can be done rather easily with out changing the way the rule works now. Simply mark a letter (A,B,C and D) on one side of the concealment tokens say opposite of the question mark. Then take a piece of paper or cardboard and draw 4 squares and label each square with a letter (a,b,c,and d). Now place each of your concealed squads in a box on the paper (only 1 per box). Keeping the letter of the concealment marker secret from your opponent, place it with the letter down on the board as you would the squad normally. You will move only your tokens until your concealment is broken or removed. The squad with the matching letter on the token that is revealed is placed on the board. This will introduce a little fog of war into your game and your oppenat will not send his tanks right at your regular infantry if he thinks it might be the squad of elites with the AT specialation. Keep in mind that it only works with 2 or more squads and if you have an officer concealed but move 5 every time your opponent will know.

let me know what you think.

Not a bad idea. how much have you used this and has it actually worked.

BJaffe01

We had the same idea and used it went playing silence the guns last time.

except we had the squads standing on the transport markers (the ones u normally put under vehicles) off the side of the board and the corasponding circle marker on the board with the number side face down, so when revealed the circle marker would be fliped and the squad matching the number would be placed on the board, we found it to be a little better than the current rules as your oppanant is not sure of the mark up of your squads and what he should commit to trying to reveal them (i was the germans and had 2 AT squads and 2 regular squads hidden so that he wasnt sure where the AT squads were. Using this method becomes more effective the more concealed squads there are as it becomes harder to guess the make up of the squads. Like what was said above would not really work with only one squad concealed

As ToI hexes are a little hard to be numbered (unless numbering them on the scenario setup picture) its hard to have a completly concealed squad

BJaffe01 said:

Not a bad idea. how much have you used this and has it actually worked.

I made extra counters, three types, vehicles, guns and infantry.

I played entire scenarios where every unit was set up this way, and only units in LOS of the enemy after setup were placed on the map. Worked fine. Places much more emphasis on cautious movement.

I also played scenarios where only the defender was completely concealed. Makes the attacker more cautious.

I like the effect very much as it emphasizes the apparent emptiness of modern battlefields.

Here it is:

Setup
Units which are out of LOS may be deployed as Unknown Units at the start of the game. Reinforcements may also enter as Unknown Units. Players do not have to deploy units as Unknown Units if they do not want to.

Counters
Unknown Units are represented by numbered counters. There are three types:
Infantry
Artillery
Vehicle

Units are kept off-map as long as they are represented by Unknown Unit counters. Players must be able to identify them with the help of the letter and number on the counter.

Counter Movement
Infantry: Move 4
Artillery: Move 1
Vehicle: Move 4

Spotting

See the core game rules for spotting Unknown Units. It is up to each player to point out spotted enemy units.
As soon as a unit does anything other than move at the rates given above, it is revealed immediately. This also opplies to the use of any special ability.

Combat
Units can only be fired at if they have been revealed first. As soon as unit fires, it is revealed immediately.

yes it works without being to complex, the best part is when your opponent guesses wrong. Try it you will be surprised at how it changes movement until squads are revealed.